You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

This great transfer strategy isn't gonna look too smart when we get a couple of overdue long term injuries to our front 3.

We've been lucky and got away with it for two years. Shouldn't risk it for a third year. 

• Upvote 1

Apparrently bookies odds on us buying Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon has dropped to about even money (1/9 or something). A player like him certainly ticks a lot of boxes. Creative midfielder to replace Cou, goal threat from outside the box, can fill in for our front 3. Age 24 is probably just young enough for us to invest in too.

Bonus. He's heavlily linked with a move to Salford. Would be nice to hijack that transfer

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

We've got 50 matches next season if we don't win a cup match. 57 if we repeat this seasons performance in the cups, where we didn't win a domestic cup game. It's madness if we think we can get as lucky again, especially as our front 3 are playing right through the summer. People rubbished that ornstien fella off the BBC "what the fuck does he know the arsenal cunt" was the general theme. Except he was spot on and on it before all the propaganda began from all the jounro's around the club got onto this "the genius thing to do is nothing" routine. By the day there's another article that comes out to say we've been that clever we don't need anyone. The mad thing is they've got everyone on board and in many cases the same people who were into the the idea of the owners "doubling down" when the season finished. 

Ornstein is a reliable journalist but mainly for Arsenal as opposed to us from what I’ve seen. I don’t remember him ever breaking any transfer news. Do you? You’ve probably confused him with Paul Joyce from The Times.

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Bouhafsi keeps saying we're interested in Pépé. I don't think we'll sign him but I'd be very surprised if our interest isn't real. I wouldn't believe someone as obviously perfect for us as him wouldn't at least interest us.

As good as he looks as a footballer, we don’t need a right sided attacker.

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Ornstein is a reliable journalist but mainly for Arsenal as opposed to us from what I’ve seen. I don’t remember him ever breaking any transfer news. Do you? You’ve probably confused him with Paul Joyce from The Times.

Ornstien came out on 5 live before the season was over and said we'd not spend more on a player than we did on Shaq last year and the club thought they only needed minor surgery. He got slated from all sides. Yet all the so called journos close to the club are just catching up now, but because there's nothing in a story saying we'll buy nobody, they're dressing it up in "the genius of buying nobody". I'm waiting for the "it worked for spurs story". 

6 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Ornstien came out on 5 live before the season was over and said we'd not spend more on a player than we did on Shaq last year and the club thought they only needed minor surgery. He got slated from all sides. Yet all the so called journos close to the club are just catching up now, but because there's nothing in a story saying we'll buy nobody, they're dressing it up in "the genius of buying nobody". I'm waiting for the "it worked for spurs story". 

I don’t think Ornstein is ITK mate. I wouldn’t stress it. Paul Joyce regularly breaks transfer stories wrt us. Follow him on Twitter, he’s as reliable as it gets at the moment IMO.

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I don’t think Ornstein is ITK mate. I wouldn’t stress it. Paul Joyce regularly breaks transfer stories wrt us. Follow him on Twitter, he’s as reliable as it gets at the moment IMO.

My point is ornstien was spot on and he was slated because of course we'd buy. Now apparently because it's clever not to buy, everyone seems accepting of it. 

I get Joyce might have an angle on transfers. But if someone like ornstien says it, my view was 1. He's not a tabloid tit so is unlikely to make it up and 2. His bread and butter is not dependent on pushing stories the club want him to, so he has no need to join the propaganda machine. Long and short of it, if he's pretty sure about something, it's because he's been found something out he believes to be true. He doesn't have to be in the pocket of the club or breaking transfer news every week, he's just doing an old fashioned credible journo's job. 

Just now, Barry Wom said:

My point is ornstien was spot on and he was slated because of course we'd buy. Now apparently because it's clever not to buy, everyone seems accepting of it. 

I get Joyce might have an angle on transfers. But if someone like ornstien says it, my view was 1. He's not a tabloid tit so is unlikely to make it up and 2. His bread and butter is not dependent on pushing stories the club want him to, so he has no need to join the propaganda machine. Long and short of it, if he's pretty sure about something, it's because he's been found something out he believes to be true. He doesn't have to be in the pocket of the club or breaking transfer news every week, he's just doing an old fashioned credible journo's job. 

Ornstein doesn’t know more than any other journalists with regards to us IMO. I follow him on Twitter too. I might have missed his tweets or posts in the past obviously, but he wouldn’t be my go to journalist if I was looking for inside information on Liverpool.

3 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

The plan is the same as it always is. Spend if we sell. As our main exists up to now are frees, there's no money to spend. If Salah was to go, we'd go and buy a couple of players. It's like last year, karius was deemed redeemable until we realised fekirs knee was made out of spaghetti and we still had a few quid to splash. 

I've had some pretty tough spaghetti over the years.

A reliable French journalist has claimed that Liverpool are in “concrete discussions” to beat their rivals to the signing of Lille attacker Nicolas Pepe.

Jurgen Klopp’s men are yet to make a summer signing this summer, after a busy 2018, although they are expected to complete a deal for teenage centre-back Sepp van den Berg over the next 48 hours.

Van den Berg is set to arrive in a £1.79m deal but the potential arrival of Pepe would be on a whole other level for the Reds, with Jurgen Klopp wanting the 24-year-old to compete with Sadio Mane and Mo Salah for the wide attacking positions at Anfield.

The highly-rated Lille star has been continually linked with a move to Merseyside, although Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan are also said to be in the running for the player’s signature.

Pepe, who currently on duty with Ivory Coast at the African Cup of Nations, is considered to be one of the most dynamic wide players in European football and is expected to cost in the region of €80million.

And according to RMC Sport’s Head of Football Mohamed Bouhafsi, he told Get French Football News that “there are very concrete discussions with Liverpool”.

He added that Klopp “adores” the player and that Pepe “brings a lot of speed and he is made to play in England, with quick transitions and an exceptional ability to counter-attack. Discussions have been had with Liverpool, who have a very profound interest”.

Bouhafsi is the same source that revealed Fabinho’s switch to Anfield last summer and it would appear that he can trusted.

Should the Reds sign Pepe then they would be getting a player who scored 23 goals in 41 appearances for Lille last season and who would the perfect fit to replace anyone of their famed from three of Mane, Salah and Roberto Firmino.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

We have Mane, Salah and Shaqiri to play on the right. It’d be idiotic to spend £70m on another right sided attacker.

If you watch the videos of him he can, and has, played across the front three.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

We have Mane, Salah and Shaqiri to play on the right. It’d be idiotic to spend £70m on another right sided attacker.

Salah plays up front and Pepe plays on the right. Simple. Or you could do the opposite. Pepe was quite good at striker when he played there during the 17-18 season and he's a fluid attacker who can pop up on any side or through the middle at any point during matches. 

Anyway, the club is going out of its way to deny this is happening, so this is probably moot. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Salah plays up front and Pepe plays on the right. Simple. Or you could do the opposite. Pepe was quite good at striker when he played there during the 17-18 season and he's a fluid attacker who can pop up on any side or through the middle at any point during matches. 

Anyway, the club is going out of its way to deny this is happening, so this is probably moot. 

Yes, I remember when the club went out of their way to say Alisson wasn't being pursued as well.