You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Re Coutinho - He was our highest paid player when he was here - I think 180 is right. He is on 200 there.

The caveat being it is way easier to dodge taxes there.

I don't think it is. I've not seen many players in this country losing court battles and facing prison sentences over tax. All of the scams that are used here (like putting image rights into trusts) have been fucked off over there. They had lower tax for a while (a couple of years before and after Alonso returned there), but that's well gone now. 

46 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We are the only club where he has played well, and we have actually started playing better since he left.

If he came back here where would he actually play?  4-3-3 suits us, and I don't think he'd improve our front three, or midfield three, so he'd only be a backup player. 

He was brilliant for us in spells, but he was never Salah, Mane, Suarez, Gerrard etc level brilliant. Selling him was the best player sale we've ever made. If he was THAT good he'd have proven himself at Barcelona. 

He's a better "number 8" than any player at our club. If we play a 4231 he's a better 10 than anyone at the club. He's better cover to the front 3 than origi and Brewster. Our results also improved after he joined us. Our results have been on an upward trajectory under klopp. Let's not pretend we got to 97 points and it would have been less had we had coutinho because he'd been holding us back - we don't know either way what would have happened, except we wouldn't have had VVD and alisson. But we have them both now, so if we get coutinho back, surely that's a positive.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

We got close to £20m for Ibe and Brad Smith!!!

Good point! But both had kicked around our 1st team at least. I saw this week we want 12m for Kent. Who's going to take that gamble? Rangers won't have that type of money to spend and I don't see a half decent season playing for rangers being a good enough springboard to a 12m move. 

20 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

He's a better "number 8" than any player at our club. If we play a 4231 he's a better 10 than anyone at the club. He's better cover to the front 3 than origi and Brewster. Our results also improved after he joined us. Our results have been on an upward trajectory under klopp. Let's not pretend we got to 97 points and it would have been less had we had coutinho because he'd been holding us back - we don't know either way what would have happened, except we wouldn't have had VVD and alisson. But we have them both now, so if we get coutinho back, surely that's a positive.

I disagree with the first point. Coutinho is a mediocre centre mid. He’s always been. He’s a worse centre mid than any of our current midfielders by some distance. I’d sooner play Bobby there even. As an AM/forward however, he’s world class.

Having said that, I would love to have him back. 4-2-3-1 against the smaller teams with him playing on the left, and 4-3-3 against the rivals and pick three of Firmino, Mane, Salah, and Coutinho to start in the front three. 

14 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

He hardly ever played the 8" or 10" role under Klopp which suggests that Klopp didn't rate him there. He nearly always played out wide on the left.  The 8" role will be between Henderson, Keita and Ox this season, so I can't see him playing there. the 10" role isn't one that we seem to use very often either, so we'd essentially be paying £90 million for a backup to Mane. 

As said before, Coutinho isn't an elite level player, but we got an elite level fee for him. I think it would be a bad transfer to bring him back personally.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

He hardly ever played the 8" or 10" role under Klopp which suggests that Klopp didn't rate him there. He nearly always played out wide on the left.  The 8" role will be between Henderson, Keita and Ox this season, so I can't see him playing there. the 10" role isn't one that we seem to use very often either, so we'd essentially be paying £90 million for a backup to Mane. 

As said before, Coutinho isn't an elite level player, but we got an elite level fee for him. I think it would be a bad transfer to bring him back personally.   

Against elite teams, with Coutinho to rotate with the front three players.

1757792_Liverpool.jpg

Against smaller teams:

1757793_Liverpool.jpg

8 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Against elite teams, with Coutinho to rotate with the front three players.

1757792_Liverpool.jpg

Against smaller teams:

1757793_Liverpool.jpg

Where's Pepe?

Liverpool have launched a formal offer for Lille attacker Nicolas Pepe amid claims the €70m-rated Ivorian is a player that ‘Jurgen Klopp loves’ (Le10 Sport)

4 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

We must be able to find someone decent that didn't walk out out on the club mid-season with absolutely no regard for how it might have fucked us up.

People make mistakes. We’re a better club with him.

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

He played 8 loads in his final season. In fact it was pretty much his default position. 

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

People make mistakes. We’re a better club with him.

I'm normally pretty philosophical about this kind of thing but it was unforgivable doing that when we we had so much still to play for. Also, completely at odds with the esprit de corps that Klopp has built. Get someone else.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

We must be able to find someone decent that didn't walk out out on the club mid-season with absolutely no regard for how it might have fucked us up.

Did he really "walk out mid-season" or did it just take us from July to January to get the fee we wanted. We were happy sellers. We wanted VVD and klopp has made it clear if we didn't sell coutinho, there'd be no VVD. 

9 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

Of course we can hence we won't be signing him. That and the ludicrous fee and wages it would involve.

Just now, Barry Wom said:

Did he really "walk out mid-season" or did it just take us from July to January to get the fee we wanted. We were happy sellers. We wanted VVD and klopp has made it clear if we didn't sell coutinho, there'd be no VVD. 

What about that shit with his back? Why did he pull that if we were such happy sellers?

Actually, I think his back was in the summer, it was some other spurious injury in January. We can speculate about the club's motives, I don't think any of us know. I'm 100% clear though that Coutinho was pushing to leave very, very hard. Even though we were in the  top 4 and still in Europe. Fuck him.

• Upvote 1