You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

C’mon Barry, we’ve just earned the most league points in the history of the club and won the European Cup, lighten up a little (when I say little, I mean a lot).

If they only interest in a tight ship, to me, that would mean satisfied with 4th every season, which we had done without the near £150m investment of VVD and Alisson. 

The opening paragraph, even though I want us to strengthen in the summer as well, surely means we don’t need to spunk £170m every summer on players.

Interestingly, what areas do you think we need to improve in? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

C’mon Barry, we’ve just earned the most league points in the history of the club and won the European Cup, lighten up a little (when I say little, I mean a lot).

If they only interest in a tight ship, to me, that would mean satisfied with 4th every season, which we had done without the near £150m investment of VVD and Alisson. 

The opening paragraph, even though I want us to strengthen in the summer as well, surely means we don’t need to spunk £170m every summer on players.

Interestingly, what areas do you think we need to improve in? 

In the spending more money, giving away things to Wom for free, and answering his emails areas.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

I think that would do us, you know... We need a forward rotation option and a couple of back-up defenders. I’d be surprised if we end up spending close to £170m on those.

I reckon the fella from the BBC is right ornstien was it? I'd be shocked if we spend anything net if you count what we sold last window too. In fact I'd be amazed if we spent 30m regardless of what we sell. 

21 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I reckon the fella from the BBC is right ornstien was it? I'd be shocked if we spend anything net if you count what we sold last window too. In fact I'd be amazed if we spent 30m regardless of what we sell. 

Ornstein is a reliable source for Arsenal related news. Not convinced he’s in the know with regards to us. £30m is probably about right if we are looking to bring in back-up full backs.

I don’t know how I would feel about us spending £170m though at this stage though. I feel like we should trust our current players more given how they performed last season. Don’t forget we still have Ox to come back and Keita to hopefully step up to the level he showed for RB Leipzig.

I think they will look at a rotation option for the front three as well as back-up defenders. However my point is if you were to spend £150m+ on transfers, you’d be looking to bring in regular starters i.e. replacements, as opposed to additions.

I think it depends on what Klopp wants. We aren't short of money from the last two campaigns. There's a good chance Klopp isn't going to want to break up the dynamic that has got us to two CL finals in a row, including a win. I do expect us to do something though. I personally want Werner. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think it depends on what Klopp wants. We aren't short of money from the last two campaigns. There's a good chance Klopp isn't going to want to break up the dynamic that has got us to two CL finals in a row, including a win. I do expect us to do something though. I personally want Werner. 

GettyImages-491967918.0.jpg

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Talk of Werner potentially extending with Leipzig as he’s annoyed Beyern are concentrating on Sane and not giving him enough hugs.

That’d be a huge blow for City. In terms of pure orthodox wingers, he’s the best in the world IMO.

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I think you may consistently have the worst use of gifs on the entire internet.

Its quite the distinction.

Pressures on for a good gif reply to this, Howie.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

That’d be a huge blow for City. In terms of pure orthodox wingers, he’s the best in the world IMO.

I agree, but for some reason Pep doesn't like him, way underused in their run in. 

44 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

With us looking to start a lucrative new deal with Nike next season i wouldn't expect us to do anything major until then. I reckon we spend what we make, wage bill is massive and Klopp seems happy with the squad.

Not like we posted a world record profit recently 

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Ornstein is a reliable source for Arsenal related news. Not convinced he’s in the know with regards to us. £30m is probably about right if we are looking to bring in back-up full backs.

I don’t know how I would feel about us spending £170m though at this stage though. I feel like we should trust our current players more given how they performed last season. Don’t forget we still have Ox to come back and Keita to hopefully step up to the level he showed for RB Leipzig.

The 170m comment is what the echo are telling us we won't repeat, except we didn't exactly spend 170m last year, we just spent because we sold and 50m was supposedly spent the year before (or so we were told the year before!). This year we're not selling, so we won't buy. 

I have no doubt we should buy someone of top quality to play in the top 3, expecting those 3 to do it again injury free is madness. Origi I still don't think is a good player and I would hate to see him start for 3 months, although obviously he had an impact in the small minutes klopp allowed him last year. But it was a small number of minutes. And relying on Brewster? Fucking hell, the lad hasn't played a 1st team game and he's been injured for what seem like since he was about 8 years of age. It's not 1987 any more and if we're not quite happy with the squad or get a big injury, we can't just go and get someone tomorrow. Any player who comes in to compete and rotate with our front 3 is going to cost an incredible amount of money. But surely we have it? FFS, we've been to 2 champions League finals running, just finished top of the premier League money pile, signed a massive training kit sponsor and averaged probably about 10m per season net spend since klopp arrived. 

Ox coming back is hopefully a bonus. But arsenal spent years saying he same thing before his next major injury. Keita I'm very far from convinced of, even when he had half decent games, he still looked a shitbag. 

As for full backs... Well I don't see us getting a right back, we'll carry on as we did this season. Left back... Who knows, but it'll be a squad filler I suspect. 

I've seen nothing to suggest ornstien is wrong, in fact every propaganda piece from the echo supports his position. 

I know it's unpopular, but I'd be doing everything to get coutinho back. He fits in with the players , he can cover the front three, he can bolster the midfield if ox struggles. I'd get lallana off the pay roll and that's half the wages covered. He seems as low risk a signing as you can do. Someone at the club wants fucking if we can't afford that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1