You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Pepe looks good and I think I mentioned him a while back before any links to us were made. 

Saying that, I've watched a few of the YouTube compilations of him and, while they can't be used to fully gauge a players ability, there's something about him which I can't quite put my finger on which makes me question if he'd be a good fit for us. He looks a bit clumsy running with the ball at times. Not sure he'd get away with that in a league with better defenders. Plus, he sometimes seems to make the wrong decision, going for goal when taking his time and picking a pass would be the better option. 

I'm wary of our record with Italian players, but I'd love us to be looking at Federico Chiesa at Fiorentina. He doesn't look as fast or powerful as Pepe, but he looks a much better footballer. Seems to have a lot more craft and guile about him, knows when to pick a pass instead of going alone and has the ability to execute these passes. Good shot on him too. He'd likely be cheaper than Pepe too. 

The Echo are reliable in putting out exactly what the club want them to put out. I don’t think they’d say we aren’t interested in Pepe without someone at the club telling them that.

The question then becomes; are we really not interested in him or do the club just want that out there to help our negotiating position?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

The Echo are reliable in putting out exactly what the club want them to put out. I don’t think they’d say we aren’t interested in Pepe without someone at the club telling them that.

The question then becomes; are we really not interested in him or do the club just want that out there to help our negotiating position?

The club could very well be doing that.

It's hard to see The Echo credible at all anymore, they're all over the place and get things wrong all the time.

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Two words:

Buy Timo Werner. 

I prefer Pepe as a player.

But what I do like about Werner over Pepe is he will play on the left more, where as Pepe is primarily on the right.

Werner would give us cover for Mane, as Mane can play equally well on either side.  Maybe Pepe can too, I might be doing him a disservice. 

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

What about Hoever? 

Obviously youth player, sadly not up to date on the youth teams these days. 

I like looking at xG & xA stats and seeing if they match what a players actual output was.  

I remember Everton signed Sandro Ramirez and they thought they'd got a bargain after all the goals he scored in La Liga.  But if you looked at his xG he should have got less than half the amount he scored.  Basically he got very lucky & his shot map were from ridiculous angles & distances - it wasn't sustainable and as a result he's been shite!

Pepe & Werner both have similar amount of goals & assists to what was expected, showing it should be sustainable.  Wener played about 800 mins less, he's have just as many goals as Pepe had he played the same amount I feel.

107899d016d6ccae155bfeb541f60d9c.png

37ebb873472969cd8a2147b05c11721b.png

It looks like Mane might struggle to maintain the amount of goals he scored last year in the league, getting 6 extra goals than expected.

404acd12c4e63fa26f7d57a5f005e2eb.png

For reference, the person who mentioned Chiesa - I don't think he's a big enough goal threat to play in our front three. 7 goals in over 3,000 mins.  Unlikely a target I'd have thought.

e48e99750fb3d78afa6ede7d6ef4cc52.png 

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

We played that exact formation at least seven times in the league this season, with Shaqiri starting in place of where Pepe is and various combinations of two centre mids. 

So, if Shaqiri can start seven games alongside Mané, Firmino and Salah then I don’t see any reason why Pepe can’t. Pretty clear Klopp doesn’t completely trust Shaqiri as well or we likely would have seen that formation more. 

We actually got some really good results using that formation; Arsenal 5-1, Newcastle 4-0,  Watford 3-0, all games where all four started.

If Pepe signs I expect to see plenty of games where all four start and Firmino drops deeper.

Pepe plays further forward than Shaq, does he not?

And how many of the games you mention featured that midfield two?

27 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Pepe plays further forward than Shaq, does he not?

And how many of the games you mention featured that midfield two?

No, he’d play the same position Shaqiri did when he played with the three of them, on the right wing. Firmino AM and Salah up top. 

I personally don’t think it really matter what midfield two it is ether. Keita is much more suited to a midfield two which is where he played with Leipzig than on the left wing/left sided midfield that Klopp played him imo.

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

No, he’d play the same position Shaqiri did when he played with the three of them, on the right wing. Firmino AM and Salah up top. 

I personally don’t think it really matter what midfield two it is ether. Keita is much more suited to a midfield two which is where he played with Leipzig than on the left wing/left sided midfield that Klopp played him imo.

Doesn't matter anyway.

Story has been Gorsted...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/latest-liverpools-transfer-interest-nicolas-16402033

Echo make you laugh

One week it's how good we have been at selling players and covering the net spend well. Then a week later it's talking like we spent 170ml without selling anyone and not making huge profits last couple of years 

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Echo make you laugh

One week it's how good we have been at selling players and covering the net spend well. Then a week later it's talking like we spent 170ml without selling anyone and not making huge profits last couple of years 

The Keita money has been used to boost the spending in about 5 windows now it seems.