You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Albert Einstein over here. Bet you didn’t even use a calculator.

I used half of my fingers on my right hand. 

It'd be four if we signed another one as well.

I seriously hope United's yoof/brexit means brexit transfer policy has them signing Maguire for £90m. Imagine Phil Jones and Maguire lining up together. Another £60m on the young Lallana at Leicester and if De Gea sees sense they can replace hin with Little Picky.

There's a few decent young brits around to be fair but the time to sign them is about 5 years before their break out season.

I'm not keen on the idea of Pepe, perhaps irrationally I don't want us making signings directly from the French league.  But mostly because I think we'd be better off with someone a bit younger who won't expect to start every important match.  It's all well and good saying we could rotate more but top players in their prime will soon get restless if they're missing out.  There's no vacancy in the forward positions for someone "first choice" and I certainly wouldn't be changing the formation if it meant Firmino playing deeper, he's not suited to that role and the midfield would be weakened. 

I think we should be looking at the very best 20-22 year olds who would be happy to work towards becoming first choice at the appropriate time. 

15 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

D8j51LcXoAEm88a?format=jpg&name=900x900

That team is way too offensive...

We played that exact formation at least seven times in the league this season, with Shaqiri starting in place of where Pepe is and various combinations of two centre mids. 

So, if Shaqiri can start seven games alongside Mané, Firmino and Salah then I don’t see any reason why Pepe can’t. Pretty clear Klopp doesn’t completely trust Shaqiri as well or we likely would have seen that formation more. 

We actually got some really good results using that formation; Arsenal 5-1, Newcastle 4-0,  Watford 3-0, all games where all four started.

If Pepe signs I expect to see plenty of games where all four start and Firmino drops deeper.

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

We played that exact formation at least seven times in the league this season, with Shaqiri starting in place of where Pepe is and various combinations of two centre mids. 

So, if Shaqiri can start seven games alongside Mané, Firmino and Salah then I don’t see any reason why Pepe can’t. Pretty clear Klopp doesn’t completely trust Shaqiri as well or we likely would have seen that formation more. 

We actually got some really good results using that formation; Arsenal 5-1, Newcastle 4-0,  Watford 3-0, all games where all four started.

If Pepe signs I expect to see plenty of games where all four start and Firmino drops deeper.

But don't you think Shaqiri is a bit of a journeyman who we wouldn't have signed if not for the bargain fee?  I think a 24 year old costing £60-80m will expect to play most if not all the big matches and I can't imagine playing 4 forwards against the very best teams. 

You could argue his age and potential presents a similar situation to that of Keita, the difference being there is an obvious vacancy in midfield for someone to really cement their place in the team. The current front 3 have their positions sewn up. 

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

But don't you think Shaqiri is a bit of a journeyman who we wouldn't have signed if not for the bargain fee?  I think a 24 year old costing £60-80m will expect to play most if not all the big matches and I can't imagine playing 4 forwards against the very best teams. 

You could argue his age and potential presents a similar situation to that of Keita, the difference being there is an obvious vacancy in midfield for someone to really cement their place in the team. The current front 3 have their positions sewn up. 

Firmino doesn’t play as a forward in that formation. He’ll be playing where people expected Fekir to play if he had signed. Pepe would easily get 25-30 games between that formation against the dross and rotation/cover for injuries. 

City quite often have Mahrez, Sane and Gabriel De Jesus on the bench and that is what we have to compete with. We’re never going to be able to fully match what they spend but we need to get closer to them in terms of squad depth, and the area of the squad we are lightest is our front three. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This. A million times this.

Why are people so hung up on making formations that have to include all of our big-money players? Sure, you don't want a £60m signing as third-choice in their position, but having 4 versatile players for 3 positions is a GOOD thing.

Klopp could keep the rhythm of the last few seasons going at first with Mane - Firmino - Salah and Pepe coming off the bench. Then once Pepe is up to speed he could use him to give Mane a rest and play Pepe - Firmino - Salah. Or if Bobby picked up an injury we're ready to go without dropping off a level, just play Mane - Salah - Pepe.

You get the idea. There is no way we're going to get as lucky as we did last season again and go through the whole year without a single lengthy injury to any of the front 3. All four of those players are capable of playing at least 2 positions up front and that means that they will all get over 2500 minutes in the league if fit. Probably over 3000 minutes each.

Brewster and Shaqiri are fine, but they are fine in the sense that you want them playing cups, used here and there to rotate the main players in and out of the lineup, that sort of thing. Not fine as in "if Bobby or Mo gets injured we can go 3 months with Brewster as our starting striker and still hope to win the league" fine. Pepe is a level above that, or at least we hope.

I am hoping we take the other competitions more seriously next season, so with the League Cup, FA Cup, World Cup , Super Cup and Charity Shield added to the main two, that could be around about 70 games next season.

10 minutes ago, Moo said:

We need to think a lot bigger than this. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Firmino doesn’t play as a forward in that formation. He’ll be playing where people expected Fekir to play if he had signed. Pepe would easily get 25-30 games between that formation against the dross and rotation/cover for injuries. 

City quite often have Mahrez, Sane and Gabriel De Jesus on the bench and that is what we have to compete with. We’re never going to be able to fully match what they spend but we need to get closer to them in terms of squad depth, and the area of the squad we are lightest is our front three. 

If we can afford that luxury and Klopp can pursuade Pepe to join on the basis he's coming for rotation/cover and to play against the dross then fair play. 

I've no doubt Klopp is easily as pursuasive as Guardiola, if not more so, but I don't think we can offer the same level of wages as City which is clearly an added incentive for players. 

The latest on Liverpool's transfer interest in Nicolas Pepe as Reds prepare for summer changes

Reports over the weekend linked the Reds to a big-money move for Lille star Nicolas Pepe - Here's the latest

• BY PAUL GORST
  • UPDATED
000.png&text=Loading...FIVE PLAYERS THE BOOKIES THINK LIVERPOOL COULD SIGN

0_GettyImages-1150499939-1.jpg

0_GettyImages-1144717189.jpg

image.jpg

1x1.png

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/latest-liverpools-transfer-interest-nicolas-16402033.amp

Liverpool have made no contact with Lille over Nicolas Pepe, despite reports in France suggesting an offer was being prepared.

The versatile frontman emerged as one of Ligue 1's finest attackers last term, notching 22 goals for Christophe Galtier's side as they finished second to Paris Saint-Germain.

That tally was only bettered by Kylian Mbappe, who scored 33 times for the French champions, and Pepe has since been linked to both the Reds and Bayern Munich as a result of his fine form. 

The 22-goal Pepe saw his excellent performances rewarded with Lille's Player of the Year award last month and his profile across European football has skyrocketed after a superb campaign for Les Dogues.

Claims over the weekend suggested the recently-crowned European champions had made a decisive move in the transfer market by lining up a bid worth close to £60million.

RMC Sport reported that the six-time European Cup winners were well placed to make Pepe their first big summer signing after beating Tottenham 2-0 in the Champions League final in Madrid eight days ago.

However, the ECHO understands those claims are incorrect and Liverpool have not discussed a move with either the club or Pepe's representatives. 

The Reds are believed to be keen to add an attacker capable of operating in a number of roles to their ranks this summer following the departure of Daniel Sturridge, who will leave the club when his contract expires this month.

Pepe, though, is not under consideration at Anfield and a big-money move for the Ivory Coast international won't be forthcoming this transfer window.

It was said that Pepe was considering his next move amid strong interest from both Anfield and Bundesliga champions Bayern, but Liverpool are not in the running for the 24-year-old.

As the ECHO reported earlier this year, manager Jurgen Klopp is not looking to spend huge amounts in the market this summer, with the Reds boss merely happy to tweak his Champions League-winning squad. 

The Reds finished their Premier League campaign with a club-record 97 points last term and Klopp believes only minor surgery is needed in his ranks this transfer window.

That means a spending spree akin to last summer's £170million splurge on Alisson, Fabinho, Xherdan Shaqiri and Naby Keita won't be repeated this time around.

4 minutes ago, LF:D said:

The Echo aren't reliable.

This time last year they were saying Klopp was going to stick with Karius.

I reckon he probably was until pre-season came along and Karius showed he was completely gone. 

6 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Give them a bell and let them know who we’re after.

I'm not reliable either! 

It's hard to think of anyone who is.  The club are ace at keeping things pretty quiet on that front now days.  It's great to see especially in this day and age where it must be near to impossible to do so.

I'm 'all in' on Pepe - think he'll be incredible for us and just what we need to compete with Salah / Mane - play with them & give us the depth required.  I agree with Sugar Ape that he could play with our current front three too at times.

We might not want him, but The Echo aren't the reliable source they once were.