You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

James is soft and is in many ways blowing his potential. Madrid don't want him and neither do Bayern and they could have signed him for only 40m. That says something is wrong with him. We can do better.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-make-shock-enquiry-cardiff-16379079

We're interested in Etheridge, apparently.

Think someone linked us with him after the end of the season.

I've said it before, but Hirving Lozano would be ideal for us. His nickname being Chucky is reason enough.

2 years ago I was touting Robertson, and if the club has listened to me this time last year, de Ligt would have just ended the 1st year of his 2-year loan back to Ajax after signing for us, and we would be lauding the foresight of the transfer committee, so I am a bit disappointed my calls for Lozano haven't gained more traction round here...

• Upvote 5

I've seen two articles today (granted one was Marca and the other I could barely read) which both mention a new UEFA regulation that states teams can only net spend a maximum of €100 million in a season on transfers.

However there is nothing on the UEFA website. That would certainly have consequences. Does anyone know if its really true?

I doubt De Ligt will end up here. There’s also Bayern and Juventus’ names thrown out there, and it gets to a point where these sort of games start to look as though they’re about maximising wages / fees and little else. I suspect he’ll end up at Man Utd, because they’ll pay whatever a prestige signing asks for. They will always be a massive club, of course, but you have to question why a player apparently coveted by a large selection of Europe’s biggest and best would snub all of them and opt for one that hasn’t been serious Champions League contenders for the best part of a decade.

1 hour ago, The Woolster said:

I've said it before, but Hirving Lozano would be ideal for us. His nickname being Chucky is reason enough.

2 years ago I was touting Robertson, and if the club has listened to me this time last year, de Ligt would have just ended the 1st year of his 2-year loan back to Ajax after signing for us, and we would be lauding the foresight of the transfer committee, so I am a bit disappointed my calls for Lozano haven't gained more traction round here...

You had me at Chucky.

Even Number Six will feel cheap unless we get this guy over the line in the coming days.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'd be fine with that, looked a good prem level keeper from what I saw.  Also, reckon we'll look to the kids a lot more next season with Jones, Brewster and Hoever possibly providing cover.  I still think we need a left back as Lewis isn't ready and an attacker (Bergwijn or Eriksen both look good to me - wouldn't be upset at nabbing Sessegnon either - quality and versatility probably more important than a specific role). 

Don't think De Ligt would go to United. He seems a clued up lad and if you have the choice of every club in the world would you go there. They're a car crash right now. Think if we want him, we would get him or at least have a great chance. I'd love him here provided he wasn't earning more than Virgil. He needs to earn that over the next few years. 

Love the Lozano shout. He's class and has a bit of the Luis about him. Great option around the place.

It will be interesting what happens with our young players next season. Jurgen clearly rates Brewster, Kelleher, Jones and Hoever but how many chances will they get next season is the question. Good loans to the championship or european leagues might be the best thing for them with a view to them coming into the fold more in 2021/2022.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/man-utd-target-hirving-lozano-agrees-move-to-napoli-230374

Corriere dello Sport claims a meeting about the player was recently held between his agent, Mino Raiola, Napoli manager, Carlo Ancelotti and the club's owner Aurelio de Laurentiis.

fee of around €40m (£34m) is said to have been agreed with PSV and the 23-year-old will reportedly sign a five-year deal upon his arrival in Naples.

22 minutes ago, M_B said:

Isco anyone?

You'd have thought that this squad is still missing the Fekir player.

We wanted him last summer, we didn't get him & decided to stick with what we had.  But Klopp identified Fekir as to someone who could either improve our depth, starting line up or give the side something we lacked.

Isco definitely has a lot of those attributes with his dribbling, retention of the ball, vision - all things Fekir offers.  I'm just not convinced he offers the goals threat we would have wanted in Fekir.  As I think one of the reasons we wanted Fekir was to have an alternative to Firmino, so we wouldn't have to use a Wijnaldum type option vs Barca away for example. 

Bruno Fernandes is the player who really might be more suited as he's scored a ridiculous amount of goals this season, as well as getting assists.  I think getting a Firmino alternative is incredibly tough as that player has to be very good in a number of areas offering goals, assists, vision, work rate, tactically astute, ability to hold up the ball, be press resistant etc.  

I don't know who that player is - the player might be Mane and then it might be easier to get another wide player.  So when Firmino can't play Sadio goes central.  Not sure, but I think the attacking player who comes will want to offer a lot of the attributes Fekir did as there was a reason why we wanted him.  

• Upvote 1

BUFFON TO LEAVE PSG

PSG and Gianluigi Buffon have agreed not to renew the goalkeeper's contract, which expires at the end of June. 

The Italian legend played 25 matches in all competitions this season, winning the Ligue 1 title.

59 minutes ago, TK421 said:

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/man-utd-target-hirving-lozano-agrees-move-to-napoli-230374

Corriere dello Sport claims a meeting about the player was recently held between his agent, Mino Raiola, Napoli manager, Carlo Ancelotti and the club's owner Aurelio de Laurentiis.

fee of around €40m (£34m) is said to have been agreed with PSV and the 23-year-old will reportedly sign a five-year deal upon his arrival in Naples.

Thought he was nailed on for Everton?

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

Bruno Fernandes strikes me as being a Bernardo Silva type. In that he's got quite a punchable face and comes across as a bit knobby. Plus, his penalty taking technique makes him look like a gobshite too. 

He's fucking good though!