You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

4 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Read earlier Mancs have offered Rabiot 10ml a year, bitters made a offer too. Not replied to either still hoping we make a offer. 

Can't see us making a offer as not sure we have space for another

If we're going for a midfielder Fernandes or Ziyech would be better. Rabiot is a good player but those wages will cause unnecessary problems for us (that's nearly £200,000 a week).

Easy ways round that though if it's a wage structure issue. Just give them a bigger signing on fee. Free transfers will always get mental wages. Don't see it anyway as I say, not really looking for that player. Had Milner left maybe 

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

D8Emdv4XkAYD1QG.jpg:large

Welcome.

In all seriousness, he is not coming but there may not be a more perfect player for us style wise. If we got him we would win the league. 

nice thought though 

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Read earlier Mancs have offered Rabiot 10ml a year, bitters made a offer too. Not replied to either still hoping we make a offer. 

Can't see us making a offer as not sure we have space for another

At 10million a year, I would want a guy whos capable of changing a game in an instant. Rabiot is not that kind of a guy. We definitely need a CAM though 

• Upvote 1

I'm not fussed who we buy to be honest, 

If there's one thing we've learned under klopp, it's that he buys guys to suit the team both on, and off the pitch. 

We'll get who we need, it probably won't be the marquee names we want, but more than likely the ones the team and the group require. 

It'll be interesting to see the work both klopp and Edwards come up with. 

• Upvote 4

Hendo being great as a box to box midfielder has sorted a lot of our midfield problems. Keita has done enough to be given more time to settle in, there were some flashes of brilliance at times this season and it's a shame he got injured when he did. Between him and a returning Ox i think we'll be able to field a decent bit of creativity in the middle next season.

We should be after someone who doesn't just cover for our front three but can actually compete with them for a place. Preferably four or five years younger than them too. I've seen Joao Felix on youtube cos he gets talked about here loads but there's only really Bobby's role he could play. For me Pepe is the best option but he does look a bit raw and £70m is far too much for him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

At 10million a year, I would want a guy whos capable of changing a game in an instant. Rabiot is not that kind of a guy. We definitely need a CAM though 

Rabiot for £10m/year is dirt cheap. He won't be that cheap, though.

You have to look at total player cost/season to really understand. If you sign a player for a £50m fee and £120k/week wages (£6m/season), then assuming a 5-year contract you are paying £16m/season. Our most expensive signing is van Dijk for £24m/season (£15m/season fee amortisation and £9m/season wages).

Pretty much any good player is going to be at least £12-15m/season in the current market if you're looking at total cost. Rabiot is excellent, bordering on being brilliant. Even if there are questions about his attitude at his age he's worth well over £10m/season. The problem is that he'll cost way more than that; I'd be surprised if you didn't have to pay him/his agent a signing-on fee of £20m and I guarantee his wages will be closer to £15m/season than £10m/season.

He'd be sensational for us, Fabinho/Keita/Rabiot in the midfield gives you almost everything you'd want and has the potential to be amazing on a Mascherano/Alonso/Gerrard-level. But I can't see us doing the deal for such an expensive player in midfield unless there are zero questions at all (and with him being a bit of a nutter, that's certainly not the case).

CHEEKY FEKIR
How do you celebrate winning the Champions League? For Liverpool in 2005, it was to make Antonio Barragan, Bolo Zenden and Pepe Reina their first signings of the summer. Fourteen years later, the wait is on to see who they bring in.

It might well be a familiar face, if the latest reports are to be believed. And considering they come from Daily Express rugby editor Neil Fissler, they probably aren’t.

He has garnered something of a reputation on these pages, so take the following with about 427 vats of salt: Manchester City and Liverpool both want to sign Nabil Fekir.

Liverpool came within a couple of medicals of bringing the midfielder in from Lyon last summer, only for a knee issue to scupper the move. To that end, Jurgen Klopp ‘will attempt to get a lower fee for him’ than the £53m proposed 12 months ago.

The manager ‘is still interested’ but City could throw a spanner in the works by pursuing the 25-year-old, too. Rodri and Tanguy Ndombele, two defensive midfielders, are higher priorities. But Fekir remains a target.

So why ‘could’ Liverpool ‘return’ for Fekir? Because they have ‘still not really replaced Philippe Coutinho’, of course. And just look at how much damage that has done.

File this one under ‘hmm’.

So what positions should we prioritise?

And would you like any new signings for our first choice XI?

Bar a Coutinho-type (or just Coutinho) for advanced midfield in some games, I'm struggling to think of many when everybody is fit and ready.

We've all said at some stage that we need a fourth member of our front three, but maybe that might suit the Coutinho-type too. 

9 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We've all said at some stage that we need a fourth member of our front three, but maybe that might suit the Coutinho-type too. 

I think that’s exactly what we’ll do; one signing to cover both positions. If any left-back coming in can play both sides, centre half as well, or also in a more advanced position, all the better.

He’s not after two distinct players for every position is he, he’s after a slightly smaller squad than that, which is versatile and intelligent enough to cover between them and draws the benefits from being that bit more close-knit and regularly involved.

• Upvote 4

I'd like an advanced playmaker who can play behind the front 3 or as part of the front 3. Basically backup\competition for Firmino who offers the manager an alternative in midfield too. Someone like Fekir with knees.

And cover for left back.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'd like an advanced playmaker who can play behind the front 3 or as part of the front 3. Basically backup\competition for Firmino who offers the manager an alternative in midfield too. Someone like Fekir with knees.

And cover for left back.

Son would be a great choice, if Spurs would ever sell him. Doesn't turn 27 until next month either. 

• Upvote 1

Shows the progress we've made that upsetting the current squad balance is as big an issue as who to bring in.

Remember when we used pebbledash an already unbalanced squad with 5 of 6 £7m players of greatly varying ability every summer? Good times.

I'm not even sure we'll sign fullback cover. Milner's still better than most LBs, Gomez (and potentially Hoever) cover RB. They're not like-for-like, but barring an injury we won't get someone of that attacking quality who's happy to be a rotation player.

Cover for the front wide players might even be Keita and Ox. I could honestly see this being a summer of bumper contracts all round and maybe an old dog of a keeper to take over from Mig.

The full back positions are so important to our style I feel we must atleast get decent cover for Robertson. Keeper cover like you say BBN, and for me another Am/Wg. Strengthen from a position of strength, we will be losing a lot of squad players, granted they mainly offered nothing.

Ideally a Coutinho type replacement who can play both in midfield and in the front three would be a priority. Problem is, players that can play all of those positions, to the quality we require, are like rocking horse shit. Fekir is one such player but I think that is dead and buried so I'd like to see us go for Ziyech. Can play on the right, can play in the midfield and I think he could do a job as a Firmino-light option up front as he works his arse off and has got similar silky skills. He'd also be cheaper than Fekir I'd imagine and a hell of a lot cheaper than getting Phil back.

Failing that type of player then a pacy forward would be next on my list of priorities. Mane is the only forward we've got who is explosive and unpredictable. Salah is more measured with using his pace than Mane, and having a similar player to Sadio to come off the bench would be a real asset. I do like the look of Pepe for that role but he'd be a gamble at the price they want.

After that it's squad cover really so I'm not too bothered. Back-up keeper to replace the Mig and a full back. I'd love us to get Tierney from Celtic as he would suit our style of play but not sure he'd be up for coming here to play back-up to Robbo.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Depends on who leaves I suppose , full back cover for both sides ( assuming Moreno goes and Gomez is strictly used as a CD )

If we could get somebody who covers both it would be good, how old is Stevie Nicol ?

His name is Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

• Downvote 1