You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I'd sign another winger for big money (Pépé). We need one more rotation option and there would be enough games to go around, plus the 4-2-3-1 option which we wouldn't play all the time obviously, but it would allow us to put another skilled attacker on the pitch against certain sides.

But it's always funny when people suggest we should sign a player from Spurs like Son or Man City like Sané as if there's any chance those clubs would sell a talented player to us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

You’re talking out of your arse.  Try and get away from selective stats and use your own fucking eyes.  You’re reading it off a spreadsheet compiled by someone you don’t know.  You haven’t bothered to list who those games were against and how the goals were scored.  You don’t know if the person has correctly categorised Firmino’s position or if we were still playing that formation when he scored his goals.  It’s a load of fucking nonsense that doesn’t back up anything.

He and the side clearly struggles when he doesn’t play centre forward.  The space he creates and workrate we get from him makes it difficult positionally for opposition defenders.  Anyone with any small amount of football brain can see he’s clearly better as a centre forward for us and one of the main reasons it functions so well.  Sane is a very good player but we’ve got a better and rejigging the formation to fit him in would be stupid.  It would also be stupid to “rotate” him with Mane and Salah.  They can clearly do full seasons with all the demands it entails.  Taking them out of games every week would damage them massively.

I don’t think that’s right. Our stats playing 4-2-3-1 aren’t noticeably worse than playing 4-3-3. Happy to stand corrected if you could show me the stats showing otherwise.

It wasn’t meant to be patronising.  You want us to sign Sane.  You are now using spreadsheets compiled by people you don’t know to put together stats that you have no clue whether are correct or not with no context to suit your agenda.  I’m saying use your eyes instead of making up nonsense.  If your eyes tell you why Firmino is better behind a striker then tell me how.  I doubt I’ll agree with you but at least you will have explained your position.  When you just reel off stats like that it shows that your “opinion” is actually complete nonsense that you can’t back up.  It’s just some shoe-horned nonsense because you’ve got your latest hard on for a player.

• Upvote 1

PREM TRIO AMONG JAMES’ SUITORS
Jorge Mendes is getting to work on finding James Rodriguez a new club so, of course, the Premier League big-hitters are getting dragged into it.

James is coming to the end of a two-year loan stay at Bayern Munich and though the Bundesliga champions have the option to make him a permanent signing for £37million, it seems neither the club nor the player are too keen on extending their relationship.

So the Colombia star will return to Real Madrid, where he will be immediately shown the door again. The Mirror reckons this has alerted the attention of Liverpool , Manchester United, Arsenal, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain, which gives the 27-year-old a lot of attractive offers which his form hasn’t really warranted

36 minutes ago, The Guest said:

It wasn’t meant to be patronising.  You want us to sign Sane.  You are now using spreadsheets compiled by people you don’t know to put together stats that you have no clue whether are correct or not with no context to suit your agenda.  I’m saying use your eyes instead of making up nonsense.  If your eyes tell you why Firmino is better behind a striker then tell me how.  I doubt I’ll agree with you but at least you will have explained your position.  When you just reel off stats like that it shows that your “opinion” is actually complete nonsense that you can’t back up.  It’s just some shoe-horned nonsense because you’ve got your latest hard on for a player.

“Compete nonsense you can’t back up” my arse. I gave you the back-up and you decided that somehow because it was compiled by strangers you wouldn’t accept them. 

36 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's not even a regular starter for his club or country.

He is now for his country and he would be for pretty much every club side in the world bar city. Not sure who's place he would take in our team but we would find room. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

He is now for his country and he would be for pretty much every club side in the world bar city. Not sure who's place he would take in our team but we would find room. 

He'd be a rotation player here like he is at City. At this point in his career he's not better than Salah or Mané.

He's also soft. There's a reason Low didn't pick him at the World Cup and Pep hasn't put him in the starting lineup consistently and it's not talent related. He may figure it out and he's right about looking for a move, but he's overrated at the moment.

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He'd be a rotation player here like he is at City. At this point in his career he's not better than Salah or Mané.

He's also soft. There's a reason Low didn't pick him at the World Cup and Pep hasn't put him in the starting lineup consistently and it's not talent related. He may figure it out and he's right about looking for a move, but he's overrated at the moment.

Only my opinion of course but I think 2 or 3 years with Klopp encouraging him and he would be better than both Mane and Salah are now. He's still a kid with plenty to learn but already he's phenomenal. 

Guest Alex_K

Sane is clearly absolute dynamite. He is already unrecognisable from the player that joined City. Huge trajectory. He'll become a great at Bayern.

He’s brilliant at dribbling and is rapid.  At his best he appears unplayable but that isn’t often enough.  He hasn’t shown to have the various skills that both Mane and Salah have either.  They’re both excellent with their back to goal.  Mane in particular is excellent in the air.  Does he have it in him to get up and down the line like they do?  Can he mix up his game and come inside?  I’d take Mane and Salah over him any day of the week.