You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

28 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Depay was looking like a future great in the Eredivisie, then he went the Mancs and seemed to think he'd already made it. As well as this he didn't seem to fit in as he always seemed to be spending any time he could back over here. Plus I can never forget that hat and poncho get up. 

Maybe he'd be better with two talented international team mates who've worked hard to get their acclaim in the same squad. I have no idea what he's been like in France. 

Very hot and cold.

38 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Pretty tidy hat Orson has on in your avatar there, mate. Repped, obviously.

And not just because it made me rewatch the Paul Masson ad outtakes where he’s pissed as a lord for the 700th time.

Thanks Lizzie. You've got me watching all his outtakes as well now. Nobody can neatly wrap the words Paul Masson into one sentence as many times, or say it with such elegance. 

• Upvote 1

I think I bigged up Depay a while back on here. Looks a different player from the one who was at the Mancs. The drop in opposition quality might be a factor, but he's looked better at international level too. 

There'd have to be concerns about his work rate and attitude. But, I've started judging our transfers by comparing the quality/usefulness/price of the players we sell and the same for the players we bring in. If we can get Depay for a rarely used Grujic and Sturridge's wages off the books, it might not be that bad a signing. 

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Depay is no way in Liverpool’s range. He’s self centered, inconsistent and has no sense of group awareness. No chance he’s ever coming to us. 

I remember similar words being uttered about Mario Balotelli. 

11 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I remember similar words being uttered about Mario Balotelli. 

And rightly so. Balotelli would never have been signed by Klopp, he represents the exact opposite of everything Klopp wants to build.

Depay seems like he may be something similar, that said I really only have an impression, he could be the most serious professional around and a great character for what I know. With Balotelli it was obvious we should’ve kept clear, which the old thread on here shows quite a few knew in advance.

I wouldn’t measure Depay on his time at the Mancs. They had last season van gaal then first season Mourinho. Lad was on a hiding to nothing.

you can see why we’d want him. 

Its nothing like Balotelli either. Balotelli was replacing Suarez as our main man. Depay’s replacing no one, just an option to change formation or off the bench. 

If Klopp wants him I’d back him to have a similar impact to Shaqiri. Solid, not spectacular and will contribute when needed

It's obvious people have only watched Depay play for Holland in the last few years. He's just not the consistent type of player or character you'd want to have in a team like ours on the cusp of success. He's the definition of big fish small pond. Now, he's talented enough that it could work if we were really after him but it's a definite risk and there's just better out there.

You'd have to also ask, would he contribute as a depth or rotation option? The answer to that in my mind is no, he's not selfless. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's obvious people have only watched Depay play for Holland in the last few years. He's just not the consistent type of player or character you'd want to have in a team like ours on the cusp of success. He's the definition of big fish small pond. Now, he's talented enough that it could work if we were really after him but it's a definite risk and there's just better out there.

You'd have to also ask, would he contribute as a depth or rotation option? The answer to that in my mind is no, he's not selfless. 

As stated above, I dont know, haven’t seen even close to enough of him. But based on the little I know, I wouldn’t be surprised if you were right.

Sometimes bias gets in the way of reality. Salah suffered the same fate at Chelsea. Salah didn't flop at Chelsea. His productivity was around the same for Chelsea as it was for Basel, Mourinho just jibbed him off too soon. As is the case with Depay. A narrative gets written, and it doesn't paint the full picture. Depay has been Lyon's best, or at worst, second best player for two consecutive seasons. He is one of the most creative players in Europe.