You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

23 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I meant he’s going to be levels above Brewster specifically next season and if the talks right that they want to use him as back up next season then there’s no argument to not use Wilson here as well as he’s already done more to prove he’s ready than Brewster.

Separately I think you’re wrong and I think we will know that in the next 6-18 months.

I like Wilson but I think he will be off in the summer. Brewster can be a top player, seen a lot of him, obviously not as a first teamer. Suppose we will know soon enough. 

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I like Wilson but I think he will be off in the summer. Brewster can be a top player, seen a lot of him, obviously not as a first teamer. Suppose we will know soon enough. 

I wouldn’t be surprised either.  It just seems like Klopp doesn’t fancy him at all.  You get the impression the club just protected him as an asset by giving him that contract a year or so ago.  The money they are talking for him means it was a good decision regardless.  I think he will end up back at a top club at some point if he leaves.

12 hours ago, The Guest said:

So Van Dijk never getting dribbled past in a whole season, pretty much winning every single header he ever challenges, not only that but actually passing it more accurately with his head than most centre halves can with their feet, raising the level of the centre halves next to him, commanding the troops, making game winning tackles and pulling off ridiculously high level decision making like the Sissoko chance situation hasn’t transformed our massively suspect defence?  The one that became pretty much impenetrable from when he arrived which was before Alisson and was only screwed over by our keeper literally throwing the ball in our net and the best goal ever scored in a champions league final.

YeAh iTS BecAUsE CoUtInho iS nO lonGEr iN mIDfiELd.

Guess this is aimed at me for saying Coutinho not in midfield is one of the reasons why we've improved defensively.  Yes I think it is.  Alisson, Robertson, Trent, Fabinho etc being others.

It's not only down to Van Dijk.  The improvement actually started before his arrival, he's been incredible.  But plenty of other factors why we have improved too.  We're obviously more open when Coutinho is in midfield.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

We should give Wilson a crack here for one season at least.  He’s going to be levels above Brewster and plays wide which we definitely need cover for.  His value is hardly going to drop in that time as well.

I think Klopp rates Brewster WAY higher. 

He always bigs him in to the press.  When have you seen a youngster who granted has done nothing for the 1st team yet involved so much with the first team.  In terms of talking about them, mixing with the squad - he's even in the shirt advertising for next season.  Klopp said he's ready to be involved & will be next season. 

I'm actually beginning to think when Klopp send a player on loan it's almost the kiss of death for the player.  When has he sent a player on loan for us & not sold the player? 

If he really thinks a player is the real deal - he plays them straight away, hence why Gomez, Trent & now Brewster didn't have loans.  

We've used the loan system to raise the stock of our players to sell them & insert buy back clauses in case we want them again.  I think to suggest Wilson is better or better for us when Klopp clearly loves Brewster is a bold call.

8 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Guess this is aimed at me for saying Coutinho not in midfield is one of the reasons why we've improved defensively.  Yes I think it is.  Alisson, Robertson, Trent, Fabinho etc being others.

It's not only down to Van Dijk.  The improvement actually started before his arrival, he's been incredible.  But plenty of other factors why we have improved too.  We're obviously more open when Coutinho is in midfield.

I think Klopp rates Brewster WAY higher. 

He always bigs him in to the press.  When have you seen a youngster who granted has done nothing for the 1st team yet involved so much with the first team.  In terms of talking about them, mixing with the squad - he's even in the shirt advertising for next season.  Klopp said he's ready to be involved & will be next season. 

I'm actually beginning to think when Klopp send a player on loan it's almost the kiss of death for the player.  When has he sent a player on loan for us & not sold the player? 

If he really thinks a player is the real deal - he plays them straight away, hence why Gomez, Trent & now Brewster didn't have loans.  

We've used the loan system to raise the stock of our players to sell them & insert buy back clauses in case we want them again.  I think to suggest Wilson is better or better for us when Klopp clearly loves Brewster is a bold call.

I always used to think that about players we loaned out.  I think if you went back over the last 10-20 years nearly every player we loaned out turned out to not be good enough or were just completely frozen out.  I don’t think Klopp has been here long enough to stick him in that basket yet though but it is looking that way.

Wilson has gone to the championship, scored a load of goals and commanded a starting position at one of its best sides.  Personally I think if Brewster is going to get games next season then it’s hard to see why Wilson shouldn’t.  It would be interesting to see how he gets on playing with better players in games where we will dominate the ball.  He scores plenty of goals from range which I think we need.

On the Brewster thing.  Talk is cheap.  Klopp said a load of nice things in the press about Wilson as well when it looked like he might run his contract down.  He said all those nice things when it looked like Brewster was considering Germany.  He also says a lot of nice things about Woodburn but he got frozen out and looks basically done at the club.  If Brewster is good enough he will get games but if he isn’t I don’t think Klopp will waste much time on him.  It’s a lot of hype for someone who hasn’t played a solitary professional game.

14 minutes ago, The Guest said:

On the Brewster thing.  Talk is cheap.  Klopp said a load of nice things in the press about Wilson as well when it looked like he might run his contract down.  He said all those nice things when it looked like Brewster was considering Germany.  He also says a lot of nice things about Woodburn but he got frozen out and looks basically done at the club.  If Brewster is good enough he will get games but if he isn’t I don’t think Klopp will waste much time on him.  It’s a lot of hype for someone who hasn’t played a solitary professional game.

Ultimately it will be up to Brewster to prove he is good enough.

But I think Klopp loves him, just from everything I read & see about him the last few years.

The club showing inside training where it is mostly Brewster scoring goals in the training games too. 

I might be wrong, but I think Brewster will get chances in the first team next season.   

I've been thinking about our younger players currently out loan, and what perhaps awaits them in the summer.

Marko Grujic

Been a good season for Marko over in Berlin, minus a couple of spells on the sideline with injury. I expect him to return and play a part in pre-season before a decision is made on his future. A return to the Bundesliga would appear the likeliest option. The question is, will it be a loan move or a permanent one?

Harry Wilson

Harry's had a terrific season at Derby. Currently their top goalscorer this season with 18 in 48 all told, and still 1 game to go. Again, I can see him returning to play a part in pre-season before a decision is made on his future too.

I'd hope that we look to loan him out to a Premier League side and see how he copes before making our final decision on the lad.

He's a talent and needs to play regularly, so it makes no sense to me to keep him here in a backup role with us next season, however, I'd be loathed to sell him without seeing how he'd fare in the top division. 

Ryan Kent

Another wide player who has had a fantastic season. Winner of the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year, Ryan has stepped up at a big club this season, following a couple of disappointing loans the previous season.

I've always liked Ryan, and still rate him as a better player than Harry when he's on his game, but until now, that's the one thing Ryan lacked, consistency.

Already talk of another season long loan at Rangers next season, but I suspect that this would only be delaying a permanent move for Ryan. If there's an offer of around £15 million, then I reckon we'll accept and Ryan will move on.

Taiwo Awoniyi

A mixed season for Taiwo. His first loan spell this season started off well enough, but after that initial period, the lad was dropped down the pecking order at Gent.

He then returned to Mouscron for the second half of the season and picked up where he left off during his previous spell at Mouscron the season before.

Not likely to be granted a work permit, so a permanent move awaits the young Nigerian in the summer. The reported £10 million fee is probably a little more than I would have anticipated us receiving, so it's sensible for us to move him on while his value is inflated a touch.

Herbie Kane 

He's had a cracking season at Doncaster, so it's a pity that they'll not be promoted this season, as letting Herbie stay at a place where he is already comfortable would be ideal.

However, as they won't be going up, I'd be looking to loan Herbie to a side in the Championship, a side like Preston perhaps, or Charlton if they go up, or even a return to Bristol City.

I'm a big fan of Herbie and do think he can become a first teamer for us in the future.

Sheyi Ojo

Sheyi is a strange one for me. All the physical attributes to be a really good player, yet he can't get it in his head to put everything together. Another youngster that will unfortunately never fulfil his potential. 

For me, it was a strange decision to move to Reims on loan, and the move hasn't really gone as I expect Sheyi and the club would have hoped. In and out of the Reims side all season, picking up a number of niggling injuries along the way.

I suspect we may see Sheyi depart on a permanent deal in the summer, likely to a mid table side in the Championship. 

Ovie Ejaria

Ovie has gained invaluable experience during his loan spells at Rangers and Reading this season past. It was a real pity the way we he left Rangers, their fans really should be ashamed of the way some of them treated Ovie toward the end of the loan. Uncalled for.

Another lad with a bundle of potential, but another who won't make the step up with us. I reckon a permanent move to a Championship side awaits.

Pedro Chirivella

Pedro's time at the club will come to an end this summer. I expected him to leave last summer, but the proposed move to FC Copenhagen fell through.

His loan move to Extremadura in the January window has been nothing short of farcical, as the lad hasn't been able to play competitive football due to the English FA not providing necessary documentation to the Spanish FA until the morning after the transfer window closed. 

I expect Pedro to return to Spain on a permanent deal this summer.

Kamil Grabara

A talented young goalkeeper with massive self belief in his ability. I like Kamil and think he can become a very good goalkeeper in the future. 

I'd be looking to send him out on loan again in the summer.

Allan

Another who is not likely to ever receive a work permit to allow him to play for us, or another side in the UK.

Currently on loan back in his native Brazil, where the Serie A season has not long started. I'd extend his loan until the end of the calendar year if no one comes in with a permanent offer during the summer. I reckon we'd get a fee of up to £5 million for the lad.

Liam Millar

Liam moved to Kilmarnock for the second half of the season and has had some first team exposure, though not as much as both parties might have anticipated.

Another loan move beckons in the summer.

Anderson Arroyo

Been on loan all season with Gent over in Belgium but hasn't got near their first team.

The loan move was inevitably work permit related, and I expect a similar loan move again this summer. Hopefully the lad will get some first team experience this time round.

• Upvote 14

Fraser looks like a slower, right footed version of Shaqiri to me. His numbers are very good this season, but every other season he's been average. If he keeps it up next season then I could see why, but at the moment he's just your standard Premier League player coming off the back of his first good season. 

3 hours ago, DimReaper said:

All this stuff about "don't want this player, don't want that player, sign this player, sign that player", etc - it all feels a bit pointless these days compared to in the past because we've all, I assume anyway, got faith in the club signing the right players at the minute. If Klopp wanted Ryan Fraser, that'd be it as far as I'm concerned - I'd want Ryan Fraser.

I agree completely. 

Unless he wants Wilfried Zaha. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

Am I missing something with Camacho ? He hasnt really impressed when I have seen him, which admittedly isnt often. But he appears to be in demand.

I thought the same, though his numbers in PL2 are impressive.

Still dont see him being a top player, certainly not at our level

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Guest said:

We should give Wilson a crack here for one season at least.  He’s going to be levels above Brewster and plays wide which we definitely need cover for.  His value is hardly going to drop in that time as well.

This is obviously just opinions but I disagree in several ways for what it's worth.

Brewster I suspect will play out wide at first; he's played through the middle for our youth teams but his style of play is more like Mane than Firmino. And I really think you're overrating Wilson massively - used to watch him for the youth sides all the time and his defensive instincts are woeful. You could see it in the playoff game the other day as well, the Leeds players just run past him in midfield all the time.

He has a great strike from distance and can take a good free kick but I think he'll end up a level or two below Liverpool. Wolves would be a good option for him, they already love Neves and his 30-yarders, add Harry to that side and it will be a goalkeeper's nightmare. If we can get £25m then we should take it and run. 

As VD said above I don't think there's much question that Brewster will turn out to be the better player over the next decade (providing both escape serious injury). Just my two pence.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Boss said:

Fraser looks like a slower, right footed version of Shaqiri to me. His numbers are very good this season, but every other season he's been average. If he keeps it up next season then I could see why, but at the moment he's just your standard Premier League player coming off the back of his first good season. 

Bit lukewarm about the link but Fraser is much much faster than Shaqiri. It's not even close. 

16 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is obviously just opinions but I disagree in several ways for what it's worth.

Brewster I suspect will play out wide at first; he's played through the middle for our youth teams but his style of play is more like Mane than Firmino. And I really think you're overrating Wilson massively - used to watch him for the youth sides all the time and his defensive instincts are woeful. You could see it in the playoff game the other day as well, the Leeds players just run past him in midfield all the time.

He has a great strike from distance and can take a good free kick but I think he'll end up a level or two below Liverpool. Wolves would be a good option for him, they already love Neves and his 30-yarders, add Harry to that side and it will be a goalkeeper's nightmare. If we can get £25m then we should take it and run. 

As VD said above I don't think there's much question that Brewster will turn out to be the better player over the next decade (providing both escape serious injury). Just my two pence.

I don’t think there’s another player in the world who plays like Mane.  Never mind some untested youth player who’s only ever played up front.  Our wide forward position is probably the most technical position on the pitch to play after the 2 no. 8 midfield positions.  You don’t just go from a goal scoring centre forward at youth level with no specific outstanding qualities to being able to play as a wide forward for us.  Personally I think one of two things will happen.  He gets played out wide and he will hardly touch the ball.  Get dropped and everyone will say he should never have been played there because he’s a centre forward.  He will get played up front and look massively out of his depth and people will say we should have give him games out wide to get him up to speed.

Actually make it 3 things.  Klopp doesn’t give him a sniff because he isn’t good enough.

3 hours ago, Dynamite said:

I've been thinking about our younger players currently out loan, and what perhaps awaits them in the summer.

Marko Grujic

Been a good season for Marko over in Berlin, minus a couple of spells on the sideline with injury. I expect him to return and play a part in pre-season before a decision is made on his future. A return to the Bundesliga would appear the likeliest option. The question is, will it be a loan move or a permanent one?

Harry Wilson

Harry's had a terrific season at Derby. Currently their top goalscorer this season with 18 in 48 all told, and still 1 game to go. Again, I can see him returning to play a part in pre-season before a decision is made on his future too.

I'd hope that we look to loan him out to a Premier League side and see how he copes before making our final decision on the lad.

He's a talent and needs to play regularly, so it makes no sense to me to keep him here in a backup role with us next season, however, I'd be loathed to sell him without seeing how he'd fare in the top division. 

Ryan Kent

Another wide player who has had a fantastic season. Winner of the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year, Ryan has stepped up at a big club this season, following a couple of disappointing loans the previous season.

I've always liked Ryan, and still rate him as a better player than Harry when he's on his game, but until now, that's the one thing Ryan lacked, consistency.

Already talk of another season long loan at Rangers next season, but I suspect that this would only be delaying a permanent move for Ryan. If there's an offer of around £15 million, then I reckon we'll accept and Ryan will move on.

Taiwo Awoniyi

A mixed season for Taiwo. His first loan spell this season started off well enough, but after that initial period, the lad was dropped down the pecking order at Gent.

He then returned to Mouscron for the second half of the season and picked up where he left off during his previous spell at Mouscron the season before.

Not likely to be granted a work permit, so a permanent move awaits the young Nigerian in the summer. The reported £10 million fee is probably a little more than I would have anticipated us receiving, so it's sensible for us to move him on while his value is inflated a touch.

Herbie Kane 

He's had a cracking season at Doncaster, so it's a pity that they'll not be promoted this season, as letting Herbie stay at a place where he is already comfortable would be ideal.

However, as they won't be going up, I'd be looking to loan Herbie to a side in the Championship, a side like Preston perhaps, or Charlton if they go up, or even a return to Bristol City.

I'm a big fan of Herbie and do think he can become a first teamer for us in the future.

Sheyi Ojo

Sheyi is a strange one for me. All the physical attributes to be a really good player, yet he can't get it in his head to put everything together. Another youngster that will unfortunately never fulfil his potential. 

For me, it was a strange decision to move to Reims on loan, and the move hasn't really gone as I expect Sheyi and the club would have hoped. In and out of the Reims side all season, picking up a number of niggling injuries along the way.

I suspect we may see Sheyi depart on a permanent deal in the summer, likely to a mid table side in the Championship. 

Ovie Ejaria

Ovie has gained invaluable experience during his loan spells at Rangers and Reading this season past. It was a real pity the way we he left Rangers, their fans really should be ashamed of the way some of them treated Ovie toward the end of the loan. Uncalled for.

Another lad with a bundle of potential, but another who won't make the step up with us. I reckon a permanent move to a Championship side awaits.

Pedro Chirivella

Pedro's time at the club will come to an end this summer. I expected him to leave last summer, but the proposed move to FC Copenhagen fell through.

His loan move to Extremadura in the January window has been nothing short of farcical, as the lad hasn't been able to play competitive football due to the English FA not providing necessary documentation to the Spanish FA until the morning after the transfer window closed. 

I expect Pedro to return to Spain on a permanent deal this summer.

Kamil Grabara

A talented young goalkeeper with massive self belief in his ability. I like Kamil and think he can become a very good goalkeeper in the future. 

I'd be looking to send him out on loan again in the summer.

Allan

Another who is not likely to ever receive a work permit to allow him to play for us, or another side in the UK.

Currently on loan back in his native Brazil, where the Serie A season has not long started. I'd extend his loan until the end of the calendar year if no one comes in with a permanent offer during the summer. I reckon we'd get a fee of up to £5 million for the lad.

Liam Millar

Liam moved to Kilmarnock for the second half of the season and has had some first team exposure, though not as much as both parties might have anticipated.

Another loan move beckons in the summer.

Anderson Arroyo

Been on loan all season with Gent over in Belgium but hasn't got near their first team.

The loan move was inevitably work permit related, and I expect a similar loan move again this summer. Hopefully the lad will get some first team experience this time round.

Thanks for this top post. Why did Ejaria leave Rangers out of nowhere ?