You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

DE LIGT HEADED TO BARCA

Ajax defender Matthijs De Ligt will join Barcelona this summer irrespective of any interest from English clubs, Sky Sports News understands.

The £65-million rated Dutch international has been linked with both Liverpool and Manchester United but we understand the player is likely to move to the Nou Camp, after helping his side reach the Champions League semi-finals.

We should be all over this if true 

BAYERN STEP UP SANE CHASE

Leroy Sane could be on his way to Bayern Munich if German outlet Kicker are right - the Manchester City winger is understood to be out of favour under Pep Guardiola, and was criticised by his boss early in the season when barely starting for the club.

58 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Just don't think Pearce has a clue TBH.

He has more idea than us, as he speaks to the club.  But they tell him what to say & I doubt before a CL Final the club are saying who or what we want.

This time last year it was all we are happy with Karius, then we know what happened there.  

The club have done a great job at controlling leaks the last few windows. 

Re: Coutinho.  I don't really care about how he left.  If he started performing for us it will quickly be forgotten - that's just how it is.

However I don't know why you'd spend £80m, £100m - whatever he costs, when he does cause a problem in terms of balance to the side.  Especially in midfield.  

When he see players like Ziyech or Brandt on £25m buy out clauses this summer, who generally fit our team better.  I would have thought that would be a better way to go.  

The one I'd really want is Dembele from Barca if we are going for the best attacking player to improve us.  Mane or Salah both able to play central when needed.  I'd rather get the best wide player than central player when looking to get an attacker. 

If we want another Firmino replacement / alternative, which I really think Fekir would have provided last summer.  Then I think that player really needs to be more of an AM than a CF.  Meaning more Joao Felix than Werner.

If Werner comes I think he'd be used more wide & maybe Sadio plays more central when needed (or Brewster) if Firmino wasn't.  

I don't think Werner fits our central attacking player at all. He's all pace & directness.  Firmino is the creator / playmaker. That's if we keep persisting with 4-3-3 more often than not.

Pearce doesn't get everything right but he does have a clue. We're not going to sign a centre half this summer mate, simple as that.

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Pearce doesn't get everything right but he does have a clue. We're not going to sign a centre half this summer mate, simple as that.

How can you be so conclusive though?

Do I really need to get the examples of his articles saying things won't happen & then they do.

Surely it's feasible Lovren goes if we get an offer we can't refuse.  Give his age, he's 4th choice.  If that occurs, I think we'd probably want a CB.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Coutinho is a far better player than Brandt or Ziyech 

He is, but I'd rather the right skillset rather than the best player.

We have seen how we have progressed as a team without Coutinho, as special as he can be.

1 minute ago, LF:D said:

We have seen how we have progressed as a team without Coutinho, as special as he can be.

We could very well see that adding him back makes us even better.

If we want a fella who can square up and take fellas off the dribble - can score from outside the box, pick a pass and take a decent set piece I would say his skill set matches better than the other two.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Coutinho is a far better player than Brandt or Ziyech 

Ziyech would be a far better fit for us than Coutinho ever was, regardless of quality. And there's not as much difference as you say there is. Coutinho's a far better player than Wes Hoolahan, not a player who just had the kind of season Ziyech just had for a Champions League semi finalist. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

We could very well see that adding him back makes us even better.

If we want a fella who can square up and take fellas off the dribble - can score from outside the box, pick a pass and take a decent set piece I would say his skill set matches better than the other two.

It could, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

But I definitely think Coutinho gives issues the the side in terms of balance when he's in midfield. We'd probably need a shift of formation to ensure it works and even then I think as a side we're be more vulnerable defensively.  Or only use in the front three in certain games.  No CM away against Seville type of performances for him.

Granted we'd probably be a bigger goal threat too. I just think it's much more likely we'd get someone who fits us more, where we can have the extra threat as well as maintaining the balance of the team. Who would cost a fracture of his price too.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if we signed Coutinho again.  

Coutinho was a top player in this league for years, at times in the top 10 - Ziyech, he was not.

To suggest Ziyech could cope in our midfield is conjecture - he might be able to, he might not.

I have seen Coutinho do it. Have also seen him turn games on his own - that is what we are missing.

11 minutes ago, LF:D said:

How can you be so conclusive though?

Do I really need to get the examples of his articles saying things won't happen & then they do.

Surely it's feasible Lovren goes if we get an offer we can't refuse.  Give his age, he's 4th choice.  If that occurs, I think we'd probably want a CB.

He is, but I'd rather the right skillset rather than the best player.

Well I can't be so conclusive because I don't have a crystal ball but it's clearly my opinion that we won't sign a centre half. That's obviously based on the assumption that none of our current ones leave; of course if we sell one, we'll replace him but I don't think that will happen.

Not long ago i'd have had a CB quite high up on my list of priorities but Matip's form, and spell of fitness, has changed that. If it was up to me then i'd sell Lovren and sign someone but I don't see Klopp doing that.

For every article you post where Pearce was wrong, you could post 10 where he was spot on.

Another part of my issue with Coutinho was towards the end it was like all our play went through him. 

I preferred the Coutinho of Rodgers where he was a superb cog in the team, but he was supplementing Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling etc.  

Under Klopp towards the end Coutinho was our star player.  All the play went through him & granted his stats were incredible in terms of goals & assists in his last season or so with us.  I don't think it necessarily was bringing the best out of some of our other players.  Our record with Coutinho even when he was at the club was better without him under Klopp.  We've improved so much since then as a team & balance / cohesion being so improtant in that improvement, I really think we'd be better buying players who could mould into what we're doing right & enhancing it.  Rather than trying to fit in an outstanding talent & adapting to him.

The team & our system / approach is king, get the best players with the right skillsets to suit that way. For me that ain't Coutinho over other players.  

• Upvote 1

With regards to Coutinho, he never played in the same side as VVD. I think we missed Coutinho in the first half of the season when Klopp was using the 4231 until Fabinho got up to speed. We were a lot more solid with that shape but lost quite a bit from an offensive standpoint.

Once Fabinho was up and running Klopp was happy to go back to the 433 and our offensive output improved as a result.

I'd actually like to see Coutinho playing in the role that Firmino occupied in that 4231. He'd run riot in the PL playing just behind Firmino, with Salah and Mané out wide. We already know how influencial he can be either as a midfielder or left forward in the 433. He would massively add to our options for me, and I think Klopp would love to have him back (look how hard he tried to keep him).

It simply comes down to the finances of the deal though and I don't see it happening because of that.

16 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Well I can't be so conclusive because I don't have a crystal ball but it's clearly my opinion that we won't sign a centre half. That's obviously based on the assumption that none of our current ones leave; of course if we sell one, we'll replace him but I don't think that will happen.

Not long ago i'd have had a CB quite high up on my list of priorities but Matip's form, and spell of fitness, has changed that. If it was up to me then i'd sell Lovren and sign someone but I don't see Klopp doing that.

For every article you post where Pearce was wrong, you could post 10 where he was spot on.

That's cool mate.

I definitely don't see CB as a priority either & agree I'd probably upgrade Lovren but not sure it will happen.  Then again I could see it happening too.  Players like Lovren, Shaqiri - I think we probably would sell for the right price but aren't in a rush or actively looking to do it either.  

Pearce really isn't an ITK anymore.  He very much just delivers the facts.  He gives his opinion on what might happen from what the club tell him.  But the club are very clever at how they do this now days, they keep everything pretty close to their chest, hence why he gets things wrong.  I don't think his opinions are worth much to be honest, as much as I think he's a good journalist.

8 minutes ago, LF:D said:

That's cool mate.

I definitely don't see CB as a priority either & agree I'd probably upgrade Lovren but not sure it will happen.  Then again I could see it happening too.  Players like Lovren, Shaqiri - I think we probably would sell for the right price but aren't in a rush or actively looking to do it either.  

Pearce really isn't an ITK anymore.  He very much just delivers the facts.  He gives his opinion on what might happen from what the club tell him.  But the club are very clever at how they do this now days, they keep everything pretty close to their chest, hence why he gets things wrong.  I don't think his opinions are worth much to be honest, as much as I think he's a good journalist.

His record is the same as the likes of Bascombe, Joyce, Hunter etc.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

With regards to Coutinho, he never played in the same side as VVD. I think we missed Coutinho in the first half of the season when Klopp was using the 4231 until Fabinho got up to speed. We were a lot more solid with that shape but lost quite a bit from an offensive standpoint.

Once Fabinho was up and running Klopp was happy to go back to the 433 and our offensive output improved as a result.

I'd actually like to see Coutinho playing in the role that Firmino occupied in that 4231. He'd run riot in the PL playing just behind Firmino, with Salah and Mané out wide. We already know how influencial he can be either as a midfielder or left forward in the 433. He would massively add to our options for me, and I think Klopp would love to have him back (look how hard he tried to keep him).

It simply comes down to the finances of the deal though and I don't see it happening because of that.

Fair point on VVD.  Although I'm definitely not one of these people who thinks VVD has transformed our defence. I think he's been incredible.  Deservedly won PFA player of the season.  What a complete defender.  But I think plenty of other reasons were due to our improvement, Coutinho leaving being one of them.

I'm not sure our side were better offensively earlier or later in the season.  Seemed about the same through out the season to me.  Salah's stats when he played upfront were pretty much a goal a game.  But we did miss his lack of involvement in our attacking buildup when he was central.  Southampton at home for example Shaqiri was brilliant in the first half in the 4-2-3-1, off the top of my head we were 2-0 up at half time, but Klopp subbed him as despite the scoreline the team were far too open.

I also don't think going back to 4-3-3 had much to do with Fabinho personally.  As we played it plenty when he wasn't in the team with Gini or Henderson as the 6 in the second half of the season.  I do think it was partly why we played 4-2-3-1 as Fabinho was more familiar in a two, as was Naby based on their previously clubs. 

As a said before I think a formation change would probably have to occur to fit Coutinho in, like the 4-2-3-1 or he'd have to be mainly used in the front three.  I don't think Klopp would have Coutinho behind Firmino though. 

I don't think Klopp trusts Salah enough defensively in a 4-2-3-1.  In a 4-3-3 when he has breathers, our CM trio cover, enabling him to stay higher more.  I also think Klopp values Salah so much as a match winner he's almost wasted wide in a 4-2-3-1 tracking back when you want him as close to the opposition goal as possible.  I'd say Coutinho would probably be on the left, Firmino as the 10, Mane right & Salah up top is more likely to fit Coutinho in a 4-2-3-1.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

His record is the same as the likes of Bascombe, Joyce, Hunter etc.

Yep, the club have done really well stopping leaks.  They all get the same general info.  They're the ones to know when it's official.  As to all the speculation - I don't think they know much.  

Coutinho doesn't even play midfield for Barcelona and they're one of the few sides you'd expect would use a physically weak attacking midfielder in central midfield. Fact is, he's just not a very good midfielder. Plus, he's so careless with the ball, unlike other smaller and weaker midfielders like David Silva. We'd get countered far easier with Coutinho in midfield.

If we were to take him back, I'd put him on the left with Mane or Salah up front and the other on the right and Firmino is behind or on the bench, but this is all moot because we wouldn't buy him back anyway. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Coutinho doesn't even play midfield for Barcelona and they're one of the few sides you'd expect would use a physically weak attacking midfielder in central midfield. Fact is, he's just not a very good midfielder. Plus, he's so careless with the ball, unlike other smaller and weaker midfielders like David Silva. We'd get countered far easier with Coutinho in midfield.

If we were to take him back, I'd put him on the left with Mane or Salah up front and the other on the right and Firmino is behind or on the bench, but this is all moot because we wouldn't buy him back anyway. 

Coutinho over Bobby?

Dave - it’s happening again