You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

4 hours ago, Boss said:

There'd be no logical reason to sign Pepe and Ziyech because they are both left footed and play the same position. 

It would be either one. We're clearly only making one big signing, if that, but you could easily play Pepe on the right and Ziyech behind a striker. They don't perform the same role at all. 

Anyway, all I would want is one expensive attacking player that fits our style. Pepe and Ziyech fit our style in different ways, but equally well. If we want a #10, I don't think we can do better than Ziyech. If we want a winger/forward, I don't think we can do better than Pepe. And then if we wanted an alternative to Firmino, there's Felix. But of course we'd only get one of those. Hopefully, one. 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It would be either one. We're clearly only making one big signing, if that, but you could easily play Pepe on the right and Ziyech behind a striker. They don't perform the same role at all. 

Anyway, all I would want is one expensive attacking player that fits our style. Pepe and Ziyech fit our style in different ways, but equally well. If we want a #10, I don't think we can do better than Ziyech. If we want a winger/forward, I don't think we can do better than Pepe. And then if we wanted an alternative to Firmino, there's Felix. But of course we'd only get one of those. Hopefully, one. 

Yeah, I suppose. They definitely fit our style. It's a fine balance now. There's little cliques within the squad and disturbing that might upset the balance of the whole team. For instance letting Lovren leave might affect Salah. Bringing in De Ligt might affect Gomez. An attacking midfielder hampers Chamberlain's potential resurgence. Even Mignolet, by all accounts has been exemplary with Alisson.

There's no doubt we need a left back to cover Robbo. We need a forward to take the pressure off Salah, Firmino and Mane. Everything else is debatable. I don't even know whether we need a Coutinho type anymore, because the industrious, hard working midfield we have allows Robertson and TAA to flourish creatively. 

6 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

What's being reported mate?

The wage bill has gone up almost 50m a year apparently. 

However, a lot of the players who will leave will reduce it.

Sturridge is on 150k, Mignolet 70k, Lallana 65K, Moreno 50k, Clyne 75k, even Ings was on a similar wage. Markovic was on 50k. Then you have all the players who are permanently on loan who we subsidise. 

I think Lovren will be moved on because he's on 100k a week and has barely played. Also he's behind Matip and Gomez now. 

I think if we got rid of most of the players who barely feature the club would save about 750k a week. 

The club are probably reluctant to sign more players as well due to the publicity about how much we've paid agents over the last couple of seasons.

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

That we will probably only sign a couple of players, none costing more than Shaqiri did. That we view the squad as nearly complete and need to replace the leavers. That new contracts for the big players and rumoured Klopp new deal will cost a fortune in wages. 

Lee, 

Don't you remember last summer, after the world cup there wasn't even an inkling of us replacing karius, all the chat was of his concussion, how klopp still had faith. 

Then bam, we broke the world record for arguably the best keeper on the planet. 

I'd only start worrying when that Scottish twat on sky starts doing his transfer deadline day countdown. 

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why “expensive”? Our team is absolutely awash with bargains achieved through Edwards’ team spotting potential and Klopp’s team realising it. Why change tack? Virgil and Alisson are the exceptions to our successful strategy rather than the rule; and the other massive signing - Naby - still has question marks over him. 

I’d rather do a Robbo deal if possible, than a Virgil one. 

50 minutes ago, Paul said:

Why “expensive”? Our team is absolutely awash with bargains achieved through Edwards’ team spotting potential and Klopp’s team realising it. Why change tack? Virgil and Alisson are the exceptions to our successful strategy rather than the rule; and the other massive signing - Naby - still has question marks over him. 

Not sure you can label the purchases of Alisson and VVD as exceptions to any rule.

The deals made them the most expensive goalkeeper and defender in the world. Not really the actions of a club intent on bargain-hunting. 

If anything, our strategy is about getting the player we want regardless of the cost, be that £75m or a straight swap for Kevin Stewart. 

55 minutes ago, Paul said:

I agree with the sentiment but surely there’s more of a premium on forward players and less chance of finding a gem in the bargain bucket. We got £70m for Benteke, Ings and Solanke. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with Paul, it’s not about price - it’s about the best fit for our style of play & having the right character. 

Whether that player costs £8m like Robertson or £75m like Van Dijk isn’t really the issue as king as we have the funds & are complying with FFP. 

I dont think our strategy is shifting slightly though. Fabinho, Keita, Van Dijk & Alisson shows to me as our last few signings & all big to huge fees. That we are simply targeting the elite! 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Because Pepe, Ziyech and Felix are players that to me, so obviously fit our style that they would essentially be guaranteed successes. The problem is that they would cost a lot of money but either one of them would complete our squad in terms of skill set. Like I said, there is no better supplement to Mane and Salah than Pepe. There is no better Firmino alternative than Felix, and there is no better creative player for us than Ziyech. 

If we can find bargains that are as good as those 3 at what they do, then so be it, but I don't think those players exist. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LF:D said:

I agree with Paul, it’s not about price - it’s about the best fit for our style of play & having the right character. 

Whether that player costs £8m like Robertson or £75m like Van Dijk isn’t really the issue as king as we have the funds & are complying with FFP. 

I dont think our strategy is shifting slightly though. Fabinho, Keita, Van Dijk & Alisson shows to me as our last few signings & all big to huge fees. That we are simply targeting the elite! 

Pepe, Ziyech and Felix fit our style better than anyone, in different ways. That's the whole point and why I want one of them. 

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I agree with the sentiment but surely there’s more of a premium on forward players and less chance of finding a gem in the bargain bucket. We got £70m for Benteke, Ings and Solanke. 

I would call all three of our front line bargains. None were cheap but none were expensive either by the standards of the modern game. I'm not suggesting we can magic a new Salah for £10m. However, I don't think we need to be up in the realms of VVD and Alisson money either. In fact I'd be amazed if Edwards didn't have an extensive list of players with huge potential for great value fees. Our needs were very specific for those two massive signings and the pool of talent very limited. I don't think that will be anything like the case for our needs this summer.

37 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Because Pepe, Ziyech and Felix are players that to me, so obviously fit our style that they would essentially be guaranteed successes. The problem is that they would cost a lot of money but either one of them would complete our squad in terms of skill set. Like I said, there is no better supplement to Mane and Salah than Pepe. There is no better Firmino alternative than Felix, and there is no better creative player for us than Ziyech. 

If we can find bargains that are as good as those 3 at what they do, then so be it, but I don't think those players exist. 

Right. I'm with you. I thought you were making a general point rather than one specific to individual player you had in mind. From what I've seen of them, all three look great for us. However, I only have a strong view on the "where" rather than the "who"; for that bit, I'm perfectly happy to trust Edwards and Klopp. However, I do suspect that they will go for players in the younger, up and coming and under the radar bracket, rather than more widely coveted talents. 

I'm not that impressed with Pepe. He does the same move to beat a player every time - hits the ball from his left to right foot and then goes past the player. He doesn't have any technical refinement. I heard that he was a goalkeeper until his late teens, which would explain his lack of fundamentals. He's a great athlete but that's about it.

Ziyech on the other hand seems to have it all. He can play short intricate passes, he can stretch the play like Gerrard. He's more two footed. He presses with intensity. His tactical and technical awareness seems to be much higher than Pepe, and he's more proven at world level.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Boss said:

I'm not that impressed with Pepe. He does the same move to beat a player every time - hits the ball from his left to right foot and then goes past the player. He doesn't have any technical refinement. I heard that he was a goalkeeper until his late teens, which would explain his lack of fundamentals. He's a great athlete but that's about it.

Nah, Pepe is exceptional. He reminds me of Mane in that he doesn't have the cleanest, most conventional technique, but he has really quick feet and is unpredictable in his movements. He's also really good with his back to goal like Salah. He can protect the ball and hold off defenders. His passing and set-pieces are also really good. He's great at 1-2's. He's the most fouled player in France, defenders shit themselves when he gets the ball. He's a complete attacker, not at all just a great athlete.

He also pretty much took Lille by the scruff of the neck last year and saved them from relegation, and then this season he's basically the reason why they finished 2nd.

I don't know if he was a keeper, but he was a late bloomer. He was at Anger's B team when he was 18 and didn't go to a pro academy, but you can see how hard working he is by how much he's improved. Top attitude. 

I talk a lot about him, but it's because frankly I've never watched a player that would suit us more than he would. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nah, Pepe is exceptional. He reminds me of Mane in that he doesn't have the cleanest, most conventional technique, but he has really quick feet and is unpredictable in his movements. He's also really good with his back to goal like Salah. He can protect the ball and hold off defenders. His passing and set-pieces are also really good. He's great at 1-2's. He's the most fouled player in France, defenders shit themselves when he gets the ball. He's a complete attacker, not at all just a great athlete.

He also pretty much took Lille by the scruff of the neck last year and saved them from relegation, and then this season he's basically the reason why they finished 2nd.

I don't know if he was a keeper, but he was a late bloomer. He was at Anger's B team when he was 18, but you can see how hard working he is by how much he's improved. 

I'll take your world for it 3stacks, because you watch Ligue One more than me. Maybe i'm being unnecessarily harsh.