You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

Who does everyone think we'll sign in the summer?

Not sure. If Shaqiri was our Coutinho/Fekir alternative, he was far from a regular, so maybe that's something we'll revisit. Or maybe our tactical approach has evolved past this, who knows?

Less gaps to fill than I can practically ever remember though given the brilliant business of recent years.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Who does everyone think we'll sign in the summer?

Brandt is the most likely in my opinion, especially if Leverkusen fails to make the CL. Can play as winger, attacking midfield and central midfield, plus reported fee is an absolute bargain.

Would love Pepe as well, but with the rumours about Origi getting a new contract and Brewster's promotion, that looks less likely now.

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

Would be really handy if we get someone who can cover both full back positions. 

Who fits the Milner-type of old pro and cover these? It's a shame someone like Zabaleta wasn't a few years younger. 

I don't think we are interested in De Ligt but if we were would the smart move not to be to sell Gomez? I can't think of any player than went from missing 50% of his games 3 or 4 seasons in a row to suddenly being injury free. Having a great player you can't use is not much use to anyone.

I wouldn't advocate selling him but from FSG's perspective essentially trading one of Europe's top young centre backs for one of Europe's top young (semi broken ) centre backs makes sense. 

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

I don't think we are interested in De Ligt but if we were would the smart move not to be to sell Gomez? I can't think of any player than went from missing 50% of his games 3 or 4 seasons in a row to suddenly being injury free. Having a great player you can't use is not much use to anyone.

I wouldn't advocate selling him but from FSG's perspective essentially trading one of Europe's top young centre backs for one of Europe's top young (semi broken ) centre backs makes sense. 

Already primed to lose quite a number of home grown players, why would we sell Gomez especially after the promise that he showed when he was not injured.

• Like 1

Can people stop with this Gomez is a crock bullshit. He has missed loads of games but mostly on big injuries and the inevitable injury that comes up when he starts playing again. Look at his record he missed over a year with his knee and his achilles went as he starting playing again. It's not unusual. Then he injured his ankle came back and obvious it wasn't right as he went and got a operation on it. Then this year broke his foot when a gtock left his foot in on a clearance. 

He isn't getting injured the way Owen, Gerrard or Chamberlain did in the early part of their careers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, No2 said:

He had his fucking leg broken! 

18 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Already primed to lose quite a number of home grown players, why would we sell Gomez especially after the promise that he showed when he was not injured.

I hadn't considered the loss of home grown players to be fair.  

The vast majority of fans would never even consider the possibility of selling Gomez but the money/stats men who look at these things with ice in their veins may think differently. 

Take Michael Owen as an example, how many times was he missing when we needed him? We built a squad around a player that wasn't available half the time. Having a great player you can't use is worse than having a decent player that you can, in this case we're talking about a defender equally as good but more reliable. Maybe if Matip and Lovren didn't breakdown as regularly as a 1980s Lada then persevering with Gomez would make sense.

20 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Can people stop with this Gomez is a crock bullshit. He has missed loads of games but mostly on big injuries and the inevitable injury that comes up when he starts playing again. Look at his record he missed over a year with his knee and his achilles went as he starting playing again. It's not unusual. Then he injured his ankle came back and obvious it wasn't right as he went and got a operation on it. Then this year broke his foot when a gtock left his foot in on a clearance. 

He isn't getting injured the way Owen, Gerrard or Chamberlain did in the early part of their careers. 

I get where you're coming from, but regardless of how they've occurred, he's been injured more than he's been available for us. There's also a risk of the same injuries repeating - specifically knee or achilles - or him not being quite the same player as before in some way. People are entitled to have concerns.

Either way, we'll hopefully see fully-fit versions of himself and Ox staking claims in August.

• Upvote 1

We're apparently trying to steal a march to sign this 17 year old Dutch defender called Xavier Mbuyamba. He's 6 foot 5 and looks like a young Van Dijk. Celtic are trying to sign him. He's had a trial with Chelsea but they can't sign him because of the ban.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

We're apparently trying to steal a march to sign this 17 year old Dutch defender called Xavier Mbuyamba. He's 6 foot 5 and looks like a young Van Dijk. Celtic are trying to sign him. He's had a trial with Chelsea but they can't sign him because of the ban.

Pretty sure I read they can sign u18 players still