You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I just don't think the club will give up on Gomez. Does anyone realistically think Klopp would look at it and say: "what we need is to spend 70m on a 19 year old CB because our own really good homegrown 21 year old CB has gotten injured"? People can rationalize that De Ligt is worth it, but it's not happening.

To follow up on that, what I would say is from a market value perspective I can see the argument. De Ligt is worth around 70m at only 19 years of age and he's already proven at a very high level. So you could say, if he keeps it up, 70m is a bargain because a few years down the line his value could double or triple and then all of a sudden you have another huge asset in your squad. But I just don't think the club would pull the trigger given what we already have.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Agree Fekir is leaving. I think it would be the right thing for him and Lyon to move on. It's run out its course.

But I don't know why we would go back in for him. We've said the reason we didn't buy him was medical. Now with 12 months left on his deal, we decide to buy him after all for the discount? Would we lie about that?

Did we say so or write it ? I have no evidence to back what I write but the whole saga ( change of agent, no rumors, the weird end of négociation after the photos, the way Fekir has been, the fact that there were not that much fuss from Lyon) seems to tell us it may not be over , provided the  price is cut down.  Just a personnal feeling.

• Upvote 1

The rumour was that Fekir's old injury needed corrective surgery. With no World cup this summer we could sign him for a lower fee than last year, do the surgery and have him fit for the start of next season.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Did we say so or write it ? I have no evidence to back what I write but the whole saga ( change of agent, no rumors, the weird end of négociation after the photos, the way Fekir has been, the fact that there were not that much fuss from Lyon) seems to tell us it may not be over , provided the  price is cut down.  Just a personnal feeling.

How good a signing do you think he would be now mate, hypothetically speaking?

16 minutes ago, Remmie said:

for

16 minutes ago, Remmie said:

The rumour was that Fekir's old injury needed corrective surgery. With no World cup this summer we could sign him for a lower fee than last year, do the surgery and have him fit for the start of next season.

The report in French media, especially in L’Equipe, was different. They were adamant there was a last try from Liverpool to cut down the fee. According to them, it was a matter of price , not of health.

Conflicting views and media bullshit, so who knows the truth....

5 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Wouldn’t go anywhere near Zaha personally. He’ll be 27 next season, has never scored more than ten goals in a season, would cost an absolute fortune and doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough for a Klopp team.

Zaha wouldn't be top of my list - if we were in for an Ivorian forward, I'd have Pépé over Zaha - but his stats over the last two seasons (19 goals in 63 appearances) aren't that different from Sadio Mané's in the two seasons before we signed him (21 in 67). Mané is 6 months older.

Lyon fans on Fekir

Invisible, once again .....!

His level this season is very disturbing, yes. He is in the light of his best form. Fatigue post world cup? Rotten preparation? Investment not at the level? Morale half mast (liverpool)? liguain lassitude? Surely a mixture of all this. 

I find it difficult to appreciate this player. I find him real cold blood, precision, a high quality of ball conservation and technique, vice also. If he could keep that by taking distance from the game, to better organize it and use the flaws of the opponents, if he could put this technique above all in the service of the game of the whole team (and not in Above all in his current way of playing, always in the feet, so little deviation etc ...), bug but it would be a sick thing. Like a beautiful plastic, which would not release much.

He has no captain behavior ... 
Very disappointed again, for sale this summer!

Especially that ... If Liverpool did not want it is not for nothing ... He knows himself burned physically to reach a top 10 club. So if he does not negotiate a big salary in Lyon he will never have ... (Big salary of top global player) that said I would be him I would be very small because it is not with his title of world champion (which he to participate as much as Thauvin) and his aborted trantrans to Liverpool that he is in a strong position ... This guy will end up in a club like Sevilla that's all he won. No evolution in itself.

Last summer was the right moment, now we realize it. Missed opportunity, but it MUST be for this summer. No other solution.

I was disappointed when his transfer to Liverpool was not done, now I know why. 
He is a talented player, there is no doubt. But he's really not a captain. And above all he made the team prisoner of a device where it was imperative that it be put in the best conditions. 
His departure will certainly do more good than harm to the OL.

I hope he will go very far.

Essential !!!! To get rid of it!

28 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

The report in French media, especially in L’Equipe, was different. They were adamant there was a last try from Liverpool to cut down the fee. According to them, it was a matter of price , not of health.

Conflicting views and media bullshit, so who knows the truth....

Could it have been a matter of price given the state of his knee? Like, a transfer for the amount of money originally agreed wasn't worth the risk after we saw the way the knee surgeries had been done. But for half the price, it would have been a gamble worth taking.

That's the way I read it anyway.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Zaha wouldn't be top of my list - if we were in for an Ivorian forward, I'd have Pépé over Zaha - but his stats over the last two seasons (19 goals in 63 appearances) aren't that different from Sadio Mané's in the two seasons before we signed him (21 in 67). Mané is 6 months older.

I've said this loads of times before but Zaha is a player I would definitely have here - he'd do really well, I have no doubt about it, but the amount it would take to sign him wouldn't be worth it, as we could probably get someone of similar ability for much less. You'd have to be looking at £60 million minimum I reckon, which just doesn't make sense for us, I don't think, for someone who doesn't get guaranteed a game every week. 

31 minutes ago, Boss said:

Lyon fans on Fekir

Invisible, once again .....!

His level this season is very disturbing, yes. He is in the light of his best form. Fatigue post world cup? Rotten preparation? Investment not at the level? Morale half mast (liverpool)? liguain lassitude? Surely a mixture of all this. 

I find it difficult to appreciate this player. I find him real cold blood, precision, a high quality of ball conservation and technique, vice also. If he could keep that by taking distance from the game, to better organize it and use the flaws of the opponents, if he could put this technique above all in the service of the game of the whole team (and not in Above all in his current way of playing, always in the feet, so little deviation etc ...), bug but it would be a sick thing. Like a beautiful plastic, which would not release much.

He has no captain behavior ... 
Very disappointed again, for sale this summer!

Especially that ... If Liverpool did not want it is not for nothing ... He knows himself burned physically to reach a top 10 club. So if he does not negotiate a big salary in Lyon he will never have ... (Big salary of top global player) that said I would be him I would be very small because it is not with his title of world champion (which he to participate as much as Thauvin) and his aborted trantrans to Liverpool that he is in a strong position ... This guy will end up in a club like Sevilla that's all he won. No evolution in itself.

Last summer was the right moment, now we realize it. Missed opportunity, but it MUST be for this summer. No other solution.

I was disappointed when his transfer to Liverpool was not done, now I know why. 
He is a talented player, there is no doubt. But he's really not a captain. And above all he made the team prisoner of a device where it was imperative that it be put in the best conditions. 
His departure will certainly do more good than harm to the OL.

I hope he will go very far.

Essential !!!! To get rid of it!

I've said this many times, but this was a season too far for him at Lyon and his failed move was always going to affect his form.

Lyon were generally an underperforming mess this season with a coach that was often out of his depth and this has annoyed loads of their fans. There aren't many players in that squad they like anymore. I personally don't think his attitude can be faulted. He could've been better this season, but that's not the reason why you'd have doubts over us signing him.

I've watched him loads over the last few years, and if you wanted an argument against signing him, it's that he's lost a step physically. He's still a talented player, but he's not who he used to be, especially in terms of acceleration and demarking himself from defenders.

I think he'd be a smart alternative to Firmino and he can play in that role, but it's a really tough call. I personally flip-flop on whether I'd want him at Liverpool really often.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

Mane was 22-24 years old when he was posting those stats. He was 24 when we signed him, Zaha will be almost 27. He’d also just scored 15 goals in all comps for Southampton the season before we signed him, like I say Zaha has never scored

more than ten in a season. 

I don’t see any value at all in signing Zaha. Better players available cheaper on the continent.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

The main reason I would like for us to sign Zaha is so that we wouldn’t have to play against him next season. There aren’t many players who terrify me more in the league. 

tumblr_nhct27Vhfc1tts3f4o1_500.gif

I mean seriously, terrified of Zaha.....

People need to stop looking at spreadsheets and use their fucking eyes.  Zaha is a fantastic footballer and would be sensational at a club where he receives the ball a lot more with more support, options and goal scoring opportunities. He’s not lazy either and would be able to play in any of our forward positions.  The problem I think would be price.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Anubis said:

tumblr_nhct27Vhfc1tts3f4o1_500.gif

I mean seriously, terrified of Zaha.....

He’s one of the most potent dribblers in the world IMO. Strong, fast and very skilful. He just lacks that ‘wee’ bit of consistency in terms of end product.