You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, but you're not going to sign a 19 year old centre back for 70m or whatever when you already have a 21 year old centre back who has shown signs of being really good. It would essentially say "we don't believe in Joe Gomez".

Plus, we have an actual budget and financial constraints. It's not a big enough need to justify the spending.

Joe Gomez has missed 565 days through injury since he arrived.

• Upvote 3

I'm not bothered too much about centre back be good if we could get a fullback that could do a job on both wings as cover. A creative midfielder maybe and definitely a striker. I genuinely don't think we will do much though. Klopp has faith in his squad and up and coming players. Be great to not lose our top players after challenging.

11 hours ago, moof said:

It’s just silly. Buy a brilliant first teamer to be fourth choice instead of an accomplished pro who’s been here for years and is boss for the dressing room atmosphere? We’re very well stocked at centre half. No need for a change there 

If the guy who calls himself one of the best in the world is happy to be fourth choice, I’m all for it. I don’t think he will be though. 

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, but you're not going to sign a 19 year old centre back for 70m or whatever when you already have a 21 year old centre back who has shown signs of being really good. It would essentially say "we don't believe in Joe Gomez".

Plus, we have an actual budget and financial constraints. It's not a big enough need to justify the spending.

Problem is, Klopp keeps playing Gomez at right back so unless he signs a back-up to Trent that will probably continue. It's either sign de Ligt and Gomez plays right back or sign a new right back.

I really don't see us going for de ligt, 

I think the lad is good, but I don't think he's any better than gomez. People are forgetting how bloody good gomez was for us before he broke his leg against Burnley. 

It's cover for both full backs, and another attacker. That's about it really. 

• Like 1

Lets try and keep the continuity of how we play. Need cover front three cover Robertson nothing else really. I am no Ed Woodward but only need two ins Sessegnon (could be spelt wrong) and Zaha. Out Sturridge, Moreno wages the same. Same squad as last year same wages costs us say 100 mil for these two players. Then get down to selling fringe players say we recoup some ibe eye watering sums looking at a net outlay of 50 million worst case. Not upsetting squad to much. My only concern as I have stated before is Zaha (have him bought already) Mane and Salah coming back from AFCON maybe Brandt be a better option. So we would have 2 from Shaq,Brandt,Divock and Firmino for first month of next season would that keep us in the hunt until Mane and Salah have had a well earned rest ? Don't know 

4 hours ago, Boss said:

Joe Gomez has missed 565 days through injury since he arrived.

This right here is why we would have interest in De Ligt.

I don't know why we still get so hung up on "where does he fit into the first XI?" questions. Your third centre back will play probably 2200-2500 minutes in the league. And if it's Gomez, he might get another 500 minutes covering the fullback positions on top of that. It's not as if your top two CBs get 3500 league minutes and then the third choice gets 1000 or something.

You need 3 top options for those two positions if you want to really boost your odds of competing for the league and the CL. One goes down, no problem - you plug the other in. You can rotate as well to improve your fitness in the last part of the season. I'd be quite surprised if we were to get lucky two seasons in a row in terms of injuries to our key players. We have had a few here and there but if any of Mane, Firmino, Salah, or van Dijk had been out for 3 months or more at any point, then we would never have pushed City so hard for the league.

8 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I'd be quite surprised if we were to get lucky two seasons in a row in terms of injuries to our key players. We have had a few here and there but if any of Mane, Firmino, Salah, or van Dijk had been out for 3 months or more at any point, then we would never have pushed City so hard for the league.

This. We have been really lucky. We arguably went out of the FA cup due to lack of cover when injuries hit.

We need to stop having to rely on shoehorning players into positions they are not suited to/confident in when we have players out.

This season we've seen Henderson and Milner at full back....Milner up against Zaha was horrible!.... Fabinho at centre half and Wijnaldum in front 3.....this is all down to a lack of cover/depth.

Yes, we've had a terrific season and yes on paper it would look like a squad that has done as well as this one would not need much, but to kick on and get ahead of the oil cheats we need to strengthen so the options are better than what we often see when we are forced into changes.

Right back - the way we play our full backs are so important to supporting our attacking play and TAA is the perfect fit....Gomez though is simply not suited to role, he is a pure defender and for me his future is at centre half - he just does not have the attacking qualities needed to play right back in this team. We need a type like TAA to be back up so the change does not blunt the style of play.

Left Back - same as right back! The Moron is off, a capable deputy is needed for Robbo.

Midfield - I would still look to add some creativity in there, someone who has that vision and ability to unlock packed defences and if necessary knock some in from distance - although with how are set up I am not 100% sure we will go this route and I get that.

Up front - Very simple, we need better and more suitable cover. Big Divvy has probably done enough to deserve to stick around and young Brewster will be involved more next season, which makes it hard to where there is room for more i suppose, but there is IMHO.....Mane and Salah are away at that AFCON shite this summer and are going to have fuck all in the way of proper pre seasons and are going to need to rest when it is over, these two lads have played a lot of football in last couple of years and we need to be able to rest them from time to time/be able to put out better teams in the domestic cups too - one more versatile forward would enable us to do this.

We often end up having to fly them and Firmino back from international shite in a rush and play them when they are flat/tired and we can see them struggle sometimes when we do - sometimes as little as 48 hrs after long flights, having extra options so we don't have to would be handy....plus we've been pretty lucky with injuries to those 3.

• Upvote 1

There’s a lot of hype around De Ligt but it just doesn’t seem like a Klopp signing.  As daft as it sounds he’s all about the squad harmony and loyalty.  Even when we sign players who are a better option than what we have it takes him months to finally drop the original player for the new signing.  I think it’s how he creates the magic.  If we were to sign De Ligt I think it would be the end of Gomez because how could he look him in the eye and build him up.

I’m not so sure he’s better than Gomez anyway although I have only seen him play 3/4 times.  In every game he’s made mistakes which is part and parcel of being that young and playing in high quality/profile games.

Personally I think we should sign him if he wants to come here.  We are on a wave at the moment and we are one of the most attractive clubs to play for so we should use that.  It’s definitely a bigger decision than “just sign him because he’s a good player” though.

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

There’s a lot of hype and around De Ligt but it just doesn’t seem like a Klopp signing.  As daft as it sounds he’s all about the squad harmony and loyalty.  Even when we sign players who are a better option than what we have it takes him months to finally drop the original player for the new signing.  I think it’s how he creates the magic.  If we were to sign De Ligt I think it would be the end of Gomez because how could he look him in the eye and build him up.

I’m not so sure he’s better than Gomez anyway although I have only seen him play 3/4 times.  In every game he’s made mistakes which is part and parcel of being that young and playing in high quality/profile games.

Personally I think we should sign him if he wants to come here.  We are on a wave at the moment and we are one of the most attractive clubs to play for so we should use that.  It’s definitely a bigger decision than “just sign him because he’s a good player” though.

100% agree with that.

No denying De Ligt is extremely good, and in fairness to him, he's playing far above his years.

But the first 4 months of the season, the argument could be made that Gomez was even better than Van Dijk. And its fairly common knowledge now that Van Dijk is the best centre half in world football. Gomez was that bloody, and he's only 21/22. He's a fucking kid

Just now, chrisbonnie said:

Oh, i forgot to mention, 

can we just sign more Africans to?

Top 3 scorers in the league are Africans. Our Africans are the bees knees.

So by hypotheses, we need more Africans. 

Nicolas Pepe is the African we should get.

Does maybe leave us in a bit of strife at the start of the season after an African Nations Cup. But if we just have players from every African country then some of them are guaranteed to get knocked out early.

3 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Oh, i forgot to mention, 

can we just sign more Africans to?

Top 3 scorers in the league are Africans. Our Africans are the bees knees.

So by hypotheses, we need more Africans. 

I know this is a bit tongue in cheek but I think Mane and Salah have smashed to bits the stereotypes around African footballers.  Mane in particular is probably the most intelligent player we have (excluding big Virg, obviously).  It’s very rare he makes a bad decision when he’s got time to think on the ball.

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Nicolas Pepe is the African we should get.

Does maybe leave us in a bit of strife at the start of the season after an African Nations Cup. But if we just have players from every African country then some of them are guaranteed to get knocked out early.

Thats the young lad from Lille? Ive watched youtube clips, im not that kind of scout. 

Isnt there some big strong centre mid from Lyon everyone wants to, could be french mind you, BT tend to show PSG games and i couldnt be arsed watchng them.

I did like the look of that Serb-Croatian-Baltic lad for Frankfurt the other night.

Big strong fucker, and young to, We all know Klopp loves them young

Gomez feels to me like the perfect compliment to Van Dijk. They conceded virtually nothing in the league up to December (when we weren't actually firing on all cylinders in front of goal). Shame about the injury which may have just been bad luck aligned to that ridiculous sloping off-pitch area at Burnley.

Priorities must be cover at full back and forward line. Finally maybe a midfielder who plays in between the lines. Don't think Ozil is a Klopp player though!

I don't often post on this thread so apologies if this idea has been done to death and/ore dismissed, but I would pay whatever it takes to get Zaha here. A perfect complement to Mane and Salah and a player we could rotate for either of those two in the league when we are playing 2 games per week.

Wouldn’t go anywhere near Zaha personally. He’ll be 27 next season, has never scored more than ten goals in a season, would cost an absolute fortune and doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough for a Klopp team.

If we really want someone like him just go and get Depay for half the price.

Another point is; I wouldn’t trust anything Klopp says about not spending money this summer. He always plays it down and had people howling all last summer over him sticking up for Karius and not wanting a replacement, right up until we signed Alisson.

I fully expect us to spend £80-100mil. Solanke went for £19mil, Ings is guaranteed for £20mil and we will get at least £30-50mil for Grujic, Lallana, Kent, Mignolet, Ojo, Camacho and Wilson if they all go. Plus the possibility of maybe Lovren and Origi leaving, and the significant wage saving from Sturridge and Moreno.

For my money I think we sign a player like De Ligt or Pepe for over £50mil depending on what position Klopp wants to fill and a versatile attacker like Depay or Brandt who will be seen as a bargain price. And possibly a back up full back and keeper. 

9 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

I am surprised we are being linked with him - the guy is a complete tit.

We are being linked because he has been quite good playing for the Netherlands and their two most respected senior players play for us. I have no doubt that if he passed Kloppo's sniff test he would be very useful. But agreed to an extent, he may not pass that initial interview, much less get onto the training pitch.

45 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Plus the possibility of maybe Lovren and Origi leaving, and the significant wage saving from Sturridge and Moreno.

Would be intriguing to see what Edwards and Klopp would come with from the Origi £70m.

• Upvote 1