You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

We met the fee and allowed him to stay a year which pushed the deal through. If it was as simple as just meeting the fee why did he stay?

There was talk of additional payment to bring the deal forward in January which was declined. I don't think we ended up paying any additional as they didn't finish high enough in the league.

My guess is Ajax would prefer to keep him for a year if possible. 

So, we agree a fee and let him stay a year to push the deal through. Seems similar, if not exact. 

The release clause could only be activated the year later (the start of this season).  They were just outright refusing to sell to us despite us offering a lot more than the release clause they would get the following year.  In the end I think we were worried that Barca or someone else would come in for him when we had agreed terms with him so we offered to pay more than the release clause just to get a deal agreed even though we could have just waited and paid the release clause the following year.

It was in no way the same thing.  We were not loaning him to them we had just agreed that he would transfer to us the following year because they would not let him go at the start of last season.

• Upvote 1

On 09/05/2019 at 20:02, Lee909 said:

Gini was out to see him a couple of weeks back too. Not sure I like it but I guess he will be more rotational but he seems a grade A whopper

We could do with a grade A whopper or two.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

We could do with a grade A whopper or two.

Depends on what you mean. 

Sindey horrible cunt, yeah fine. 

Dickhead who wants to act like some ott rap star, not so much. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lee909 said:

Depends on what you mean. 

Sindey horrible cunt, yeah fine. 

Dickhead who wants to act like some ott rap star, not so much. 

Dickhead who wants to act like some ott rap star > snidey horrible cunt 

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

ZestyPoorIrishwaterspaniel-size_restrict

Bellamy-and-Suarez_2804174.jpg?201207310

Suarez was a great player in spite of being a horrible person, not because of it. I can give you loads more examples of snidey horrible cunts who are worse at football than both Lingard and Pogba. 

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I know which type of twat I’d rather have playing for us. 

I’d rather Lingard or Pogba than Charlie Adam or Phil Bardsley. Mainly because they’re better at playing football. 

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I’d rather Lingard or Pogba than Charlie Adam or Phil Bardsley. Mainly because they’re better at playing football. 

37 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Dickhead who wants to act like some ott rap star > snidey horrible cunt 

So if we signed Jessie Lingard for example, you’d rather he was a preening twat like he is now instead of a snidey cunt that can wind people up? 

It’s probably an unpopular opinion but I think Lingard is the only player in their whole squad that would suit the way we play and potentially start games for us.  As good as everyone likes to talk up Martial and in some cases Rashford they are light years away from Mane/Salah in terms of ability and intelligence.  Pogba wouldn’t get in the team because he needs to carried and we don’t do passengers.

Can't believe anyone seriously thinks we'll be in for De Ligt. We have the best CB in the world, two other senior CBs who consistently play at a very high level and are part of the best defence we've had in decades, a young player in Joe Gomez who is arguably better than De Ligt anyway and then there's Hoever coming through who the club think was the best of the current Ajax crop. We're not buying any CBs, never mind ones who'd cost almost as much as Virgil. This is City-itis: let's have all the new shiny things possible just because.

• Upvote 4

On 09/05/2019 at 21:47, The Guest said:

I think buying from Real/Barca is almost always a bad idea.  You never get anywhere near value for money and if they’re letting a player go they’re usually shite, on the way down or are young but think they’ve achieved it all already.  

Agree. There will always be exceptions of course, but probably not too many.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Hearing that Klopp sees Lovren as a big character in the dressing room and, crucially in this regard, Mo Salah’s brate. Unlikely to depart I’m told. 

I told you not to tell anyone.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Hearing that Klopp sees Lovren as a big character in the dressing room and, crucially in this regard, Mo Salah’s brate. Unlikely to depart I’m told. 

Similar to what I’ve been told by Paulie.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

No problem with that. Matip and Gomez are top class partners for Virg these days. Lovren as cover and to play in cup games not an issue for me. 

23 minutes ago, magicrat said:

No problem with that. Matip and Gomez are top class partners for Virg these days. Lovren as cover and to play in cup games not an issue for me. 

What do you do when the cup games come round and Lovren cant play as he has a cold or infection?

• Upvote 1