You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

On 21/05/2018 at 09:25, The Woolster said:

I watched an Ajax game a few months back when nothing else was on and thought I'd see what de Jong was like after hearing a lot of good stuff about him. The stand out player was someone I hadn't heard of and it was de Ligt, and then I found out he was only 18...

I'd buy him and agree to a 2 year loan back to Ajax.

Same with de Jong to be honest...

We so should have done this...

To be honest, we probably still could with de Ligt, at least for a year. He'd get another year's experience playing week in week out, which he might not get here, he'll be a better player, Ajax would get to keep him for another year, Lovren would be down to last year of his contract and we'll probably be looking to move him on, everyone's happy.

• Upvote 1

BARCA WILLING TO GET RID OF 10
Elsewhere, Barcelona are looking to flush their own turd in the shape of Philippe Coutinho. Thursday’s whispers suggested his days at the Nou Camp are numbered so, of course, United are seen as the potential patsy as Barca look to recoup £100m of the £142m Liverpool relieved them of almost two years ago.

That’s the claim of AS, which names Coutinho as among the 10 players either on their way out of Barca or considered ‘transferable’ by the Catalans.

Kevin Prince Boateng and Jeison Murillo will be off anyway after ‘enjoying a little holiday in Barcelona for the last six months’. Along with those two departing loanees, Thomas Vermaelen, Samuel Umtiti, Ivan Rakitic, Jasper Cillessen, Malcom, Rafinha and Denis Suarez are all up for grabs

Umtiti is great but his knees are fucked and his wages are astronomical. Not for us, but he'd be a great signing for Arsenal because he's a clear upgrade and his age is favourable. Worth it for them.

Malcom is still very raw. We could make something of him, but it's probably not worth our time and money.

4 hours ago, The Woolster said:

We so should have done this...

To be honest, we probably still could with de Ligt, at least for a year. He'd get another year's experience playing week in week out, which he might not get here, he'll be a better player, Ajax would get to keep him for another year, Lovren would be down to last year of his contract and we'll probably be looking to move him on, everyone's happy.

Right, loaning out a €80-million player as "future prospect". Are you mad? The shitstorm backlash would be biblical and well deserved. 

Not to mention, there is not a snowball chance in hell De Ligt would sign if that's the plan for him. 

2 minutes ago, neopulian said:

Right, loaning out a €80-million player as "future prospect". Are you mad? The shitstorm backlash would be biblical and well deserved. 

Not to mention, there is not a snowball chance in hell De Ligt would sign if that's the plan for him. 

We did that exact thing with Keita

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

We did that exact thing with Keita

Nope, not even remotely similar. I'll leave you to work out the difference between RBL's unwillingness to sell and we pre-paid the release clause to this above hypothetical situation.

• Upvote 2

We met the fee and allowed him to stay a year which pushed the deal through. If it was as simple as just meeting the fee why did he stay?

There was talk of additional payment to bring the deal forward in January which was declined. I don't think we ended up paying any additional as they didn't finish high enough in the league.

My guess is Ajax would prefer to keep him for a year if possible. 

So, we agree a fee and let him stay a year to push the deal through. Seems similar, if not exact. 

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We met the fee and allowed him to stay a year which pushed the deal through. If it was as simple as just meeting the fee why did he stay?

There was talk of additional payment to bring the deal forward in January which was declined. I don't think we ended up paying any additional as they didn't finish high enough in the league.

My guess is Ajax would prefer to keep him for a year if possible. 

So, we agree a fee and let him stay a year to push the deal through. Seems similar, if not exact. 

Ajax are expecting him to leave. They did well persuading him to stay another season last year. 

Yea, saw as much with the Van der Saar quote.

I think they are expecting Barca to roll up for him. If that doesn't happen it would make sense for us (if he is wanted) to do whatever puts us at the front of the queue - they are already pocketing the Frenkie dosh.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, saw as much with the Van der Saar quote.

I think they are expecting Barca to roll up for him. If that doesn't happen it would make sense for us (if he is wanted) to do whatever puts us at the front of the queue - they are already pocketing the Frenkie dosh.

They put loads of effort in last year persuading 4 or 5 of their top talents to stay. Allocated an Ajax legend in each of their positions to talk them through the importance of staying another year to improve and then leave with a better foundation and better opportunity. All stayed apart from Justin Kluivert.