You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

10 hours ago, Remmie said:

If we are losing so many squad players, I don't think they will all be replaced by kids, so you'd have to imagine quite a few incoming transfers. 

I reckon we will be pushing kids through into the fringes of the squad to be, dependent on position, 3rd, 4th or 5th choice, initially. If you think of the players likely to leave they’ve barely played. 

This squad has had first choices and cover to get it to 94 points (so far), partly because Klopp loves intelligent, versatile players who can play in multiple positions. It doesn’t need squad signings; it needs one or - at most - two top class additions. Kids should come through to sit on the bench in games where there’s an injury crisis and slowly find their feet from there. Hoever will be one such, I reckon. 

The only possible problem I foresee in terms of cover is left back with Moreno going. But that’s only if Milner goes too and I’m not buying all this, “He’ll go to Leeds” stuff. Why the fuck would he swap a massive role in a team fighting at the very pinnacle of the game for the biggest trophies to go and potentially battle relegation? There’s sentiment for your boyhood club and there’s winning the biggest prizes in the game. I know which one pretty much every professional around is picking. 

I just want a fourth consistent match-winner. Anything else is a bonus. 

• Upvote 1

Mignolet will probably be leaving so we need him replacing. No idea how good Kelleher is but having not played for the 1st team we need a more experienced back up keeper. 

I think we're already short in defence due to the injury prone partners for Van Dijk and am not a fan of shifting our midfielders into defensive positions to cover for injury. With Clyne and Moreno to go. Of the kids, Camacho and Hoever played what 3 games between them (can't really remember to be honest). Camacho might go and I have no idea how solid the Milner to Leeds rumours are (we should definitely keep him 100%). 2 or 3 players needed in defensive positions in my view. 

We are well stocked in midfield but it's also the area of the team we need improving the most. Depending on if Lallana and/or Milner go and whether Grujic & Wilson play elsewhere, we may get a player or 2 there. 

Up top is where the big drop off in quality is. Perhaps Brewster will replace Sturridge, not sure what's happening with Origi and Shaqiri doesn't seem to be trusted, so another top player here is a must. 

I reckon most of that is fairly conservative, so I foresee at least 5 transfers incoming. 

I’ll be amazed if it’s that many. Keeper will be a modest signing near the end of his career. As for defence, I say again - despite the “injury prone” defenders, look at our season. Best defence in the league, most clean sheets. It’s only a hypothetical problem. 

If we dilute our spending with a scattergun approach this summer it will be a huge strategic error in my view. Kids need a path and the team needs to be even stronger. With a squad this good, this well-balanced and this cohesive that requires only fine tuning.  

Look at City last summer: they needed very little and so did very little, but they did it at the top end of the market. 

• Upvote 3

On 03/05/2019 at 16:39, Barry Wom said:

I don't think Gomez is a good full back. I don't know about me being blind, I think you are blinded by Gomez - he wouldn't get a game for Everton at full back. I wasn't dismissing his early season form, I am pointing out (rightly imo), that VVD makes anyone who plays near him better. Matip is a shit centre back, but looks more than decent next to VVD. He makes Gomez look a composed defender, rather than the nervy indivdual that we see when VVD is not there. 

As for Trent shitting out of headers, I have never seen him shit out of anything. I do see a player who isn't very big and quite sensibly instead of taking himself out of the game and getting beat in the air, he takes up a smarter position. 

You won't get me trying to say Trent is a good full back - because defensively he isn't all that, but his value going forward is immense (and that play is crucial to how we play). Gomez on the other hand is a pretty ordinary full back for many reasons and his attacking contribution is also pretty poor. I would never consider Gomez as a full back - I know we want to give him games and all that and most teams can't expose him as they don't have the ball, but there's no way he would ever be my 1st choice out of the players we have available. I'd even have Henderson or Milner in front of him at full back and I want neither of them there. 

Matip a shit CB? 

Matip was excellent long before VVD arrived. Matip’ s only problem is the fact he get injuries, when he’s playing he’s great.

In fact he’s in our top four CB’s the last 20 years, alongside Van Dijk, Hyypia and Agger. 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Code said:

Matip a shit CB? 

Matip was excellent long before VVD arrived. Matip’ s only problem is the fact he get injuries, when he’s playing he’s great.

In fact he’s in our top four CB’s the last 20 years, alongside Van Dijk, Hyypia and Agger. 

Carragher? 

13 minutes ago, Code said:

Matip a shit CB? 

Rubbish

sotirios-kyrgiakos-300-909169792.jpg

Watching Derby here today and been keeping up with Wilson last few months. Seems to have gone right off the boil. Cracking first half of the season and tailed off since January. 

Really can't see him making it with us

22 now maybe a year in the Premier league might help

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Watching Derby here today and been keeping up with Wilson last few months. Seems to have gone right off the boil. Cracking first half of the season and tailed off since January. 

And with that he slots away the the pen from the biggest dive of the season

5 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

#LFC are gearing up to make a move for Fulham's 17-year-old right-back back Cody Drameh. The youngster has been playing for the club's U-23 team and plays for England's U-18's and Liverpool scouts have been left impressed. [@MailOnline] https://t.co/CqeUeGfzov

Prepares for the puns...

On 05/05/2019 at 14:02, Lee909 said:

I've got two mates that are Derby season ticket holders and they've said that whilst he has great technique and is brilliant at set pieces, his overall game leaves a lot to be desired.   Nowhere near ready for us yet, I think an Ibe type transfer deal with a buy back clause would be the best bet for all parties. 

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will once again attempt to sign Spain midfielder Marco Asensio, 23, from Real Madrid. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

Anyone watched much of him last year. 

Doesn't seem to have really kicked on. Its not like he is a kid at 23 and talk of huge fee's seem a bit much 

he is 1 of those players that needs to feel the love couple of months with klopp at melwood and he will be back to his best