You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

20 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think they get too many chances and henderson seems to barely have had a shot till the last few weeks. When Klopp was 1st here, we would have 5 in the box on every move, I don't see that as much now. I might be wrong, but we seem to intend to pin teams in more and wait for our fast tricky forwards to get a yard clear of their man. 

I think that's our tactic too. Don't give the ball away and get counter-attacked with 5 players in the box.  If we lose it, win it back in their half and try again 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Both Winjaldem and Keita have better records scoring from before they joined the club. Milner I am sure used to get more open play goals - I know his goal count is decent for us, but I can barely remember a goal that wasn't a pen. 

Wijnaldum played as an attacking midfielder at Newcastle, he plays a a CM here, mostly defensive during his time here. Milner mostly played as an attacking mid at his other clubs did he not? He plays a lot more defensively here. So there’s the reason right there why they don’t score as much. Not hard to work that one out.  Unfair to compare Keita so far this season to what he did at Red Bull. 

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

That has to be one of the most comical posts I have ever read on here. He shits out of headers 2 or 3 times a game? Honestly, maybe we have different ideas of what shitting out is. According to the premier league, in his entire career he has only had 53 aerial duals - which is 1 a game. And while he loses a lot of them (about 3 in every 4, but gomez loses 2 in every 4), that's fucking obvious, he's a kid learning the game and a new position at the same time, he is the least equipped of dealing with headers in our back line, so any decent manager would look to expose that. 

As for this Matip business. He came in and looked OK - that was about 4 years ago and has been shite since, until he got a run with VVD. Lovren looks a better defender next to VVD. Gomez looks a better defender next to VVD. All of them are better around him. Sometimes in football over a long period you are lucky enough that that rubs off on the other player and they maybe even head towards being able to play at that type of level. It's why we were succesful for so long and the same is true of the Mancs. However, right now my head would be in my hands if we needed to play for a sustained period with Gomez and Matip. 

Expect your head to be in your hands at some point because we won’t have signed a new centre back at the start of next season and Van Dijk’s injury free run won’t last forever.  They’re both good centre backs.

i see you’re another one of these stat gimps which explains why you struggle to watch a game and understand what’s going on.  The funny thing is you went away and found stats that back up my opinion and it still hasn’t sunk in.  He’s only had 53 aerial duels which you intimated was a small number but conveniently left out Gomez’s number.  Again as I always say stats are objective bollocks so it doesn’t really matter.  What’s an aerial dual win?  When you just get it to touch your head?  What if you concede a corner or a throw in?  What if you head it clear up the pitch and give possession away or put someone clean in accidentally like Gerrard against Uruguay in the World Cup?  Are they all the same as Van Dijk beating a player in the air and literally passing it to another player with exact power and precision.  If you’re relying on shit like that then you may as well give up.

He shits out of challenges and backs away when he’s got the jump on players. I’d love to see where those stats are added up by the premier league.  The fact your stats then say Gomez actually wins 25% of his headers and he doesn’t shit out of challenges whilst also playing at centre half against tougher players aerially and you’re somehow still arguing he’s not better defensively.  Gomez very rarely gets roasted at right back whereas it happens to Arnold any time a player gets him one on one.  Open your fucking eyes.

39 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Expect your head to be in your hands at some point because we won’t have signed a new centre back at the start of next season and Van Dijk’s injury free run won’t last forever.  They’re both good centre backs.

i see you’re another one of these stat gimps which explains why you struggle to watch a game and understand what’s going on.  The funny thing is you went away and found stats that back up my opinion and it still hasn’t sunk in.  He’s only had 53 aerial duels which you intimated was a small number but conveniently left out Gomez’s number.  Again as I always say stats are objective bollocks so it doesn’t really matter.  What’s an aerial dual win?  When you just get it to touch your head?  What if you concede a corner or a throw in?  What if you head it clear up the pitch and give possession away or put someone clean in accidentally like Gerrard against Uruguay in the World Cup?  Are they all the same as Van Dijk beating a player in the air and literally passing it to another player with exact power and precision.  If you’re relying on shit like that then you may as well give up.

He shits out of challenges and backs away when he’s got the jump on players. I’d love to see where those stats are added up by the premier league.  The fact your stats then say Gomez actually wins 25% of his headers and he doesn’t shit out of challenges whilst also playing at centre half against tougher players aerially and you’re somehow still arguing he’s not better defensively.  Gomez very rarely gets roasted at right back whereas it happens to Arnold any time a player gets him one on one.  Open your fucking eyes.

I must be one of those stats gimps. Dickhead. Your 2/3 shithousery headed challenges a game is a stat. It's just one you made up because it backed up your point of view but had completely no substance. I don't care for stats much. Unlike you, I clearly watch games as it's absolutely clear to me he doesn't shit out in 2/3 headers a game, because he doesn't have 2/3 headers a game. So I went to see how many headers he actually had. As for how many Gomez had, it was fucking loads more, but he loses half of them. But you know why Gomez has so many? He's played centre back in as many games as he's played full back. Centre backs head the ball more. He's also been included in games as a full back to help us defend in the air. When we defend set pieces, he will be one of our key headers of the ball. If you want me to say something stupid like Trent is a shithouse because he doesn't head the ball as much as Gomez, I won't. Because Trent isn't a shithouse, he's just small and Gomez will clearly go in for more headers and win a higher percentage of them because he's fucking massive. I will leave stupid comments like Trent is a shithouse to fools like you. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I must be one of those stats gimps. Dickhead. Your 2/3 shithousery headed challenges a game is a stat. It's just one you made up because it backed up your point of view but had completely no substance. I don't care for stats much. Unlike you, I clearly watch games as it's absolutely clear to me he doesn't shit out in 2/3 headers a game, because he doesn't have 2/3 headers a game. So I went to see how many headers he actually had. As for how many Gomez had, it was fucking loads more, but he loses half of them. But you know why Gomez has so many? He's played centre back in as many games as he's played full back. Centre backs head the ball more. He's also been included in games as a full back to help us defend in the air. When we defend set pieces, he will be one of our key headers of the ball. If you want me to say something stupid like Trent is a shithouse because he doesn't head the ball as much as Gomez, I won't. Because Trent isn't a shithouse, he's just small and Gomez will clearly go in for more headers and win a higher percentage of them because he's fucking massive. I will leave stupid comments like Trent is a shithouse to fools like you. 

You’re all over the place.  I said he shits out of headers not he’s a shithouse.  He backs off and doesn’t challenge for them.  That’s obviously not included in your stats you looked up you clown which was my point obviously.

Gomez has played 37 games at right back and 18 at centre back.  Trent has played 72 games at right back.  Clearly you’re the one pulling the stats out of your arse but even when you are doing that they’re backing up what I’m saying.

I don’t want you to say he’s a shithouse.  I want you accept the nonsense that you were coming out with that there isn’t much difference defensively between the two at right back.  It’s comically wrong.  Gomez is actually a defender who reads danger and can defend in all aspects particularly well for his age.  Trent is a very technically gifted footballer who makes schoolboy errors defensively because he’s not a natural defender.  The best manager in world football left him out of the starting 11 against Barca because he knows it too.

7 minutes ago, The Guest said:

You’re all over the place.  I said he shits out of headers not he’s a shithouse.  He backs off and doesn’t challenge for them.  That’s obviously not included in your stats you looked up you clown which was my point obviously.

Gomez has played 37 games at right back and 18 at centre back.  Trent has played 72 games at right back.  Clearly you’re the one pulling the stats out of your arse but even when you are doing that they’re backing up what I’m saying.

I don’t want you to say he’s a shithouse.  I want you accept the nonsense that you were coming out with that there isn’t much difference defensively between the two at right back.  It’s comically wrong.  Gomez is actually a defender who reads danger and can defend in all aspects particularly well for his age.  Trent is a very technically gifted footballer who makes schoolboy errors defensively because he’s not a natural defender.  The best manager in world football left him out of the starting 11 against Barca because he knows it too.

So I don't know where you're getting your stats. I got them from the premier League site, which has Trent on about 50 matches and Gomez less. Maybe they're just league games. But that doesn't matter. Saying he shits out or he's a shithouse are the same thing. It's just a different way to say it. I'm not going to argue with you on this any more as you've clearly just got an issue with Trent or a hard on for Gomez, not sure which, but despite what you're saying, you're not watching the game. Trent neither shits out ornis a shithouse. 

We're watching a winger called Samuel Chukwueze who plays for Villareal. We've been watching him since the U17 World Cup and he caused Real Madrid and Barcelona a lot of problems in their games against him. He's been compared to Arjen Robben.