You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

In my opinion Brewster isn’t going to get anywhere near the team.  Gone are the days of decent young players getting opportunities as forwards.  You have to be Owen/Fowler level.  He’s nowhere near that.  I think it’s laughable he’s even getting compared to Rashford.  He hasn’t played a senior game yet.  He also doesn’t have the pace to be flexible and go out wide.  He’s a finisher who’s scored loads of goals at youth level.  We’ve seen that countless times before and it’s a guarantee of nothing.

We’ve got possibly the best forward line in world football.  Our centre forward is basically irreplaceable because of the specific way he plays.  When he does go out of the team we tend to play Mane or Salah there.  We don’t look anywhere near as good but I don’t think Klopp would trust many players to start there.  We even put Origi out wide the other week.

The fact they’ve integrated him with the first team was obviously to protect the investment we made in him.  He wasn’t looking a like signing a new contract at one point.

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

In my opinion Brewster isn’t going to get anywhere near the team.  Gone are the days of decent young players getting opportunities as forwards.  You have to be Owen/Fowler level.  He’s nowhere near that.  I think it’s laughable he’s even getting compared to Rashford.  He hasn’t played a senior game yet.  He also doesn’t have the pace to be flexible and go out wide.  He’s a finisher who’s scored loads of goals at youth level.  We’ve seen that countless times before and it’s a guarantee of nothing.

We’ve got possibly the best forward line in world football.  Our centre forward is basically irreplaceable because of the specific way he plays.  When he does go out of the team we tend to play Mane or Salah there.  We don’t look anywhere near as good but I don’t think Klopp would trust many players to start there.  We even put Origi out wide the other week.

The fact they’ve integrated him with the first team was obviously to protect the investment we made in him.  He wasn’t looking a like signing a new contract at one point.

To be fair he looks rapid from his YouTube comps. I might be wrong though. Thoughts @Dynamite @cinco veces?

9 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Fowler only started playing for England in the u21's and scored 1 in 2. This kid is hitting 1 in 1 at every level of English football, winning world cups and golden boots. Who says he can't be the next Fowler / Owen?

If we get a wide forward it will be interesting who will want to come. Mane and Salah are basically undroppable, but I imagine we would rotate them once in a while if we signed such a player. To me that type of player or a second striker that can drop deep like Firmino are the only options that make sense. I don't see why we'd deviate from that formula. Basically strengthen plan A instead of getting a plan B.  

A #10 like Shaqiri hasn't seemed to please Klopp this year so even though another one of those was in the cards maybe we'll change strategies now. 

That video basically just confirmed what I was saying above.  He doesn’t get the time or space to finish the vast majority of those goals in the premier league never mind in the backs to the wall type games we play in the majority of the time.  A lot of them are from crosses as well which is not how we play.

I find the “looks quick” comment to be beyond laughable though.  Hardly any of those videos are in real time.  They’re in that weird YouTube sped up reality that seems to happen on nearly every sport clip.  If you’ve been fooled by that then fair enough.

It’s just my opinion though.  Let’s see where he is in a year.

34 minutes ago, Boss said:

Fowler only started playing for England in the u21's and scored 1 in 2. This kid is hitting 1 in 1 at every level of English football, winning world cups and golden boots. Who says he can't be the next Fowler / Owen?

International football is shite.  Ben Woodburn couldn’t get in Sheffield United’s team yet he’s banging all sorts of goals in for Wales at open age.  Dom Solanke has done the same thing Brewster has done and he was shite as well.  It’s no barometer for anything.

8 minutes ago, The Guest said:

That video basically just confirmed what I was saying above.  He doesn’t get the time or space to finish the vast majority of those goals in the premier league never mind in the backs to the wall type games we play in the majority of the time.  A lot of them are from crosses as well which is not how we play.

I find the “looks quick” comment to be beyond laughable though.  Hardly any of those videos are in real time.  They’re in that weird YouTube sped up reality that seems to happen on nearly every sport clip.  If you’ve been fooled by that then fair enough.

It’s just my opinion though.  Let’s see where he is in a year.

You can judge it relative to the other players though. He doesn’t look as quick as Owen, but he looks far quicker than Fowler ever was. Not saying he will make it, but to highlight his lack of pace as his weakness is a bit confused IMO.

Let’s see.  Fowler was quick in his early years.  There were plenty of goals from him breaking away from defenders.  But my point was about just how good Fowler was regardless.  Brewster isn’t anywhere near that level.  Pace is massive now, it’s probably more important than it’s ever been and he hasn’t got it.

I pointed the same thing out about Trent and got laughed at and told he was quick.  He didn’t look it on Sunday when he had a 5 yard head start on some yard dog Cardiff player and still got outpaced.  The difference with Trent is that it’s not as vital for his position and he really is exceptional for his age.

25 minutes ago, The Guest said:

International football is shite.  Ben Woodburn couldn’t get in Sheffield United’s team yet he’s banging all sorts of goals in for Wales at open age.  Dom Solanke has done the same thing Brewster has done and he was shite as well.  It’s no barometer for anything.

Ben Woodburn has a 1 in 5 average for Wales and Wales are a far inferior team to England. And just because Woodburn failed at Sheffield United doesn't mean he's not good enough either. Harry Kane failed at Leyton Orient, Leicester and Norwich. There's loads of mitigating factors for why a young player might not be successful during a loan spell.

And Dom Solanke is a different player to Rhian Brewster. Just because Solanke wasn't good enough does not mean Rhian Brewster should not get a chance. Two completely different individuals, with entirely different styles.

9 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Let’s see.  Fowler was quick in his early years.  There were plenty of goals from him breaking away from defenders.  But my point was about just how good Fowler was regardless.  Brewster isn’t anywhere near that level.  Pace is massive now, it’s probably more important than it’s ever been and he hasn’t got it.

I pointed the same thing out about Trent and got laughed at and told he was quick.  He didn’t look it on Sunday when he had a 5 yard head start on some yard dog Cardiff player and still got outpaced.  The difference with Trent is that it’s not as vital for his position and he really is exceptional for his age.

Yep, before than first injury at 21/22 Fowler was quick, especially over 5/10 yards. That knee injury fucked his potential, even if he did have a good career after

18 minutes ago, Boss said:

Ben Woodburn has a 1 in 5 average for Wales and Wales are a far inferior team to England. And just because Woodburn failed at Sheffield United doesn't mean he's not good enough either. Harry Kane failed at Leyton Orient, Leicester and Norwich. There's loads of mitigating factors for why a young player might not be successful during a loan spell.

And Dom Solanke is a different player to Rhian Brewster. Just because Solanke wasn't good enough does not mean Rhian Brewster should not get a chance. Two completely different individuals, with entirely different styles.

Harry Kane didn’t “fail” anywhere.  He played loads of games at a younger age than Woodburn and scored goals.  He won Millwalls young player of the year and got injured at Norwich and recalled.  He was also then introduced to a team that could afford to give him a go.  They were challenging for the top four  but were not going for the league or the champions league.  We can’t afford to give a player at that level a go if we want to win the league because we just won’t win the league doing it.  Even Wilson who’s done well won’t come back and get a go and he’s ahead of both Woodburn and Brewster.

Separately I’m judging Ben Woodburn on what I’ve seen and failing at Sheffield United backs it up.  He wasn’t even getting on the bench.  Again though my point was not that any of this proves he’s not good enough.  I’m saying that then scoring goals at international level proves fuck all because it’s shite.  A lad struggling to get on the bench at a championship team is scoring one in five at international level.  It’s because they play against low level part timers Moreno often than not.

57 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Not sure what Trent has to do with Rhian Brewster mate. However Trent isn’t a particularly slow full back IMO. He’s quicker than Tripper, Babbel, Aurelio, Abidal, Lahm for example.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Klopp is a huge fan of Brewster and has said he will get minutes.

The kid featured heavily in the kit unveiling, noticeably players like Shaqiri, Lovren and even Matip did not.

He will be in the squad for sure.

I think he will get preseason to show if he should be a option or needs a loan. I think Wilson goes on loan and Woodburn goes

52 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Harry Kane didn’t “fail” anywhere.  He played loads of games at a younger age than Woodburn and scored goals.  He won Millwalls young player of the year and got injured at Norwich and recalled.  He was also then introduced to a team that could afford to give him a go.  They were challenging for the top four  but were not going for the league or the champions league.  We can’t afford to give a player at that level a go if we want to win the league because we just won’t win the league doing it.  Even Wilson who’s done well won’t come back and get a go and he’s ahead of both Woodburn and Brewster.

Separately I’m judging Ben Woodburn on what I’ve seen and failing at Sheffield United backs it up.  He wasn’t even getting on the bench.  Again though my point was not that any of this proves he’s not good enough.  I’m saying that then scoring goals at international level proves fuck all because it’s shite.  A lad struggling to get on the bench at a championship team is scoring one in five at international level.  It’s because they play against low level part timers Moreno often than not.

I don't understand the logic of why Brewster can't play games against lower level Premier League sides at home, or why he can't get minutes off the bench. You're basically judging him as crap without ever seeing him play. He could be Mbappe for all you know, but because Dom Solanke didn't make it and we're going for the league he shouldn't be given any chances. It's a bizarre argument to make. 

8 hours ago, Boss said:

I don't understand the logic of why Brewster can't play games against lower level Premier League sides at home, or why he can't get minutes off the bench. You're basically judging him as crap without ever seeing him play. He could be Mbappe for all you know, but because Dom Solanke didn't make it and we're going for the league he shouldn't be given any chances. It's a bizarre argument to make. 

I’ve seen him play quite a few times and I don’t think he’s good enough.  We’ve got a load of people in here saying he’s going to make a big impact next season basing it off the fact he’s scored goals at youth international level which is laughable.  I’ll say it again because you seem to be struggling with the concept.  I’m not saying he will fail here because Solanke did.  I’m saying Solanke is an example of a promising youth player who did all the youth international stuff Brewster has so saying he will be a success off the back of it is stupid.  He was also shite when given a go against lower level premier league opposition.  Noticeably this year he wasn’t getting near the squad because the games were too important.  It will be the same next year.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I’ve seen him play quite a few times and I don’t think he’s good enough.  We’ve got a load of people in here saying he’s going to make a big impact next season basing it off the fact he’s scored goals at youth international level which is laughable.  I’ll say it again because you seem to be struggling with the concept.  I’m not saying he will fail here because Solanke did.  I’m saying Solanke is an example of a promising youth player who did all the youth international stuff Brewster has so saying he will be a success off the back of it is stupid.  He was also shite when given a go against lower level premier league opposition.  Noticeably this year he wasn’t getting near the squad because the games were too important.  It will be the same next year.

I would suggest that perhaps those people are saying he could make an impact based on watching him play quite a few times and having a different opinion to you.

And then just using the international goals and Klopp's stated idea to give him some game time as an argument point.

10 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I would suggest that perhaps those people are saying he could make an impact based on watching him play quite a few times and having a different opinion to you.

And then just using the international goals and Klopp's stated idea to give him some game time as an argument point.

I said I don’t think Brewster will get games because he’s not good enough having watched him.  Guy comes back saying he’s scored all sorts of goals at youth international level.  I say that doesn’t mean anything look at Solanke he’s done the same and is shite.  I get told I’m basing Brewster not being good enough on Solanke being shite.

As I said before let’s just see.  It’s my opinion I could be wrong.

25 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I said I don’t think Brewster will get games because he’s not good enough having watched him.  Guy comes back saying he’s scored all sorts of goals at youth international level.  I say that doesn’t mean anything look at Solanke he’s done the same and is shite.  I get told I’m basing Brewster not being good enough on Solanke being shite.

Yeah, fair enough.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

Of course, yeah. I don’t think anyone would be able to tell definitively. His talent isn’t as obvious as Sancho or Hudson-Odoi. But he is to end up just short of making it, it won’t be due to his lack of pace. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

And they made him walk around the edge of the field and down the tunnel.

I think I have noted this on here before , it is crazy that these teams have £100m assets and well paid medical staff and then if they get a serious injury , one of the coaches acts as a crutch and they hop 100 yards on the injury.