You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

16 hours ago, Paul said:

I know it’s pretty fucking far from conclusive, but I reckon a strong sign of Brewster’s quality is how accepted he seems by the senior players already. I mean I know he’s been in rehabilitation with Ox all year but on that new kit video today, he seems totally at home with the big boys and they with him. I can’t see that being the case with any ordinary kid who hasn’t played for the first team. 

Agreed. It's odd how visible Brewster is. He's in a bunch of Youtube videos, new kit photos and Klopp's talked about him having a spot in the squad when he gets fit and yet he's never played a game for the first team. They must rate him more than any other youngster. 

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Agreed. It's odd how visible Brewster is. He's in a bunch of Youtube videos, new kit photos and Klopp's talked about him having a spot in the squad when he gets fit and yet he's never played a game for the first team. They must rate him more than any other youngster. 

I thought exactly the same thing, there's usually the odd promising youngster knocking about, and most of the time they don't come good.

But occasionally you get one or two that you can be 100% certain are going into the first team when they come of age, Sterling, and Trent are two recent examples, there was a buzz around them well before they even got near the squad.

Hopefully Brewster is in that category too, and his visability in the recent club media days is a good indication of this. 

If we're going to sign anyone now, they basically have to be absolutely class and ready to play for the first team. I'd rather a player have a season playing somewhere and sign him for 25 mill than sign him for 7, loan him out and sell him. Look at the players who can't quite make it through here. Wilson. Grujic. You've got to be class.

• Upvote 3

Nabil Fekir has reportedly made it his No 1 priority to sign for Liverpool this summer after splitting from his agent.

France World Cup winner Fekir was close to moving to Anfield last summer, only for the move to fall through at the last moment.

That reportedly led to tension between the forward and his representative Jean-Pierre Bernes, and the latter confirmed to radio station Europe 1 on Saturday that the pair had parted company.

Now, according to the Sunday Mirror, the player, who has also emerged as a transfer target for Real Madrid and Chelsea, blames Bernes for that failure to secure a move to Liverpool as the reason behind the split – and still has a move to Liverpool as his preferred choice this summer.

Whether Jurgen Klopp will look to resurrect a deal for the £53m-rated star remains to be seen, but Fekir’s frustrations at his failure to secure the move to Liverpool have been made abundantly clear as the transfer failure was laid firmly at Bernes’ door.

“I terminated the contract on (Thursday),” the agent said.

“It was a choice (Fekir) took. He will certainly look for another agent.

“Like all human relationships, from time to time you can have a difference of opinion on someone’s future or their behaviour.”

French newspaper L’Equipe claimed earlier this year that Lyon are willing to sell Fekir to the highest bidder this summer with the player refusing to sign a new contract, which expires at the end of next season.

And they claim Klopp could well go back in Fekir, who almost penned a five-year deal worth £130,000 a week at Anfield during the summer – and was even pictured in a Liverpool shirt.

Bernes, however, believes Fekir may find it tough to secure a move to one of European football’s super powers, adding: “To get into one of the top 10 clubs is very difficult, you must have an approach.

“You must not place too much importance on the role of an agent. When you have a big player and a big club wants him, it is the club who come to see you. You are not soliciting interest.”

13 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Didn't realise that Monaco were so shit and in a relegation battle. Would that Djibril Sidibe be worth a punt to provide cover for full back?. Can also play as a defensive midfielder. Monaco have always been a selling club and will probably have to let a few players go even if they stay up.

He's pretty average. Decent going forward but crap defensively and he's been injury prone these past 2 seasons. I'd only take him for like 10m. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's pretty average. Decent going forward but crap defensively and he's been injury prone these past 2 seasons. I'd only take him for like 10m. 

Is he as shite as Aly Cissoko though?. 

Was just thinking we might get him on the cheap but if he's not better than Clyne then maybe there's no point. Just remember last season the Mancs and Chelsea were linked to him for about 35m

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Is he as shite as Aly Cissoko though?. 

Was just thinking we might get him on the cheap but if he's not better than Clyne then maybe there's no point. Just remember last season the Mancs and Chelsea were linked to him for about 35m

No, he's way better than Cissokho. I would also say he's better than Clyne, but I really don't rate Clyne. 

If he could stay fit, he'd be a good backup or alternative to Trent as he's a threat going forward and doesn't limit our style. It's whether he would accept that and what he would cost. I don't think Monaco are getting many interesting offers for him, else they would have sold him, as they do with pretty much everybody. 

What about full back cover that can play both sides? Milner could be off and at 33 I'm not convinced he'll be good cover in what are not his best positions. We need some creativity (Fekir?) and another forward player. I'm amazed people want to rely on Brewster - a 19 year old who hasn't played for 2 years. No doubt he'll get a chance, struggle for a few games and people will be wanting rid. How about some expectation management?

I presume you're talking about me since I was the one that kicked off the Brewser debate a few pages back by saying he'd get a lot of minutes next season.

But if you'll read it again I said he should be our third-choice striker next season, not that we should be "relying" on him. I think we all agree we need at least one more really good attacker this summer - we definitely should not go into next season hoping that we get through the whole year without a major injury to any of the front three again. Preferably someone under 24 and versatile enough to cover at least 2 of the positions in our front 3.

8 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I presume you're talking about me since I was the one that kicked off the Brewser debate a few pages back by saying he'd get a lot of minutes next season.

But if you'll read it again I said he should be our third-choice striker next season, not that we should be "relying" on him. I think we all agree we need at least one more really good attacker this summer - we definitely should not go into next season hoping that we get through the whole year without a major injury to any of the front three again. Preferably someone under 24 and versatile enough to cover at least 2 of the positions in our front 3.

Wouldn’t be too surprised if we buy someone for the number 10 role who can interchange with the front 3 positions as required, rather than a separate signing for each.