You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This is wrong, mate. Not in an 'in my opinion' or 'oh, I disagree' type of way, in a 'he gets to 60 in 2.9 seconds, Usain Bolt's world record time involved him going to 60 in 2.87 seconds' kind of way. 

Fair enough. Apparently the only players quicker than him in the PL are Vardy and Shane Long. Weird, never thought Long was quick either.

https://the18.com/soccer-news/how-fast-is-timo-werner

28 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This is wrong, mate. Not in an 'in my opinion' or 'oh, I disagree' type of way, in a 'he gets to 60 in 2.9 seconds, Usain Bolt's world record time involved him going to 60 in 2.87 seconds' kind of way. 

60?

• Upvote 1

I think Werner is similar to Aubameyang. Good striker and on the surface fits in well with what we do, but in reality I don't think he'd work, or at least as much as other players could.

I don't like strikers who almost always need service to create chances and don't get on the ball a lot and that's what Werner is. It's kind of the antithesis of what we have right now, where we have three players who drop deep, pick up the ball anywhere and have the technique to interchange and create chances for themselves.

If we bought Werner, we'd have to center around him more to create chances or he'd be a waste and that would in turn dull our other players as well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think Werner is similar to Aubameyang. Good striker and on the surface fits in well with what we do, but in reality I don't think he'd work, or at least as much as other players could.

I don't like strikers who almost always need service to create chances and don't get on the ball a lot and that's what Werner is. It's kind of the antithesis of what we have right now, where we have three players who drop deep, pick up the ball anywhere and have the technique to interchange and create chances for themselves.

If we bought Werner, we'd have to center around him more to create chances or he'd be a waste and that would in turn dull our other players as well.

He creates a lot of chances for others. The others in the front three would thrive off of his balls played from the line - City do that all the time and it cuts teams to ribbons. Yeah, I think we see this one quite differently. For me, he's a really good match for what we need. He drops deep all the time, he makes runs beyond, then brings other players in. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He creates a lot of chances for others. The others in the front three would thrive off of his balls played from the line - City do that all the time and it cuts teams to ribbons. Yeah, I think we see this one quite differently. For me, he's a really good match for what we need. He drops deep all the time, he makes runs beyond, then brings other players in. 

Yeah, I don't know. He has more assists than I thought he'd have, but at the top level when there isn't much space he just strikes me as a finisher and not much else.

I'd just rather more versatility and fluidity and I think there's better out there. I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Werner is like Kuyt with a bit more pace. His touch is a bit crap, he’s not the most skilful, but he runs a lot, can play wide or central and knows where the goal is.

That's a very good summation. Works hard and is very quick, but his touch and even finishing can be really erratic. A decent rotation option as he will get a decent amount of goals, but overall think he may struggle to break into the first eleven. Still prefer Nicolas Pepe personally.

• Upvote 1

Woolster's wishlist

Lozano - from what I have seen of him, which isn't loads I must admit, Lozano would be a perfect fit for the way we play, goals, pressing, workrate, determination etc.

Back-up keeper - I think that Adrian at West Ham and McCarthy at Southampton are 2 good, Premier League standard keepers who are sat on the bench at their clubs. They may want to leave to play games, but I'm sure they'd rather be on our bench than at their current clubs

Back-up left back - No fucking idea. I'd go for a seasoned pro who could perhaps also cover at right back, like a full back version of Klavan.

Wildcard - This time last year I was touting Son who was down to the last year of his contract. Well this year, Eriksen is down to the last year, and as yet doesn't look like extending. Would he cost a shit load? Yes. Is it likely to happen? No. But fuck it, its a wishlist.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

Woolster's wishlist

Lozano - from what I have seen of him, which isn't loads I must admit, Lozano would be a perfect fit for the way we play, goals, pressing, workrate, determination etc.

Back-up keeper - I think that Adrian at West Ham and McCarthy at Southampton are 2 good, Premier League standard keepers who are sat on the bench at their clubs. They may want to leave to play games, but I'm sure they'd rather be on our bench than at their current clubs

Back-up left back - No fucking idea. I'd go for a seasoned pro who could perhaps also cover at right back, like a full back version of Klavan.

Wildcard - This time last year I was touting Son who was down to the last year of his contract. Well this year, Eriksen is down to the last year, and as yet doesn't look like extending. Would he cost a shit load? Yes. Is it likely to happen? No. But fuck it, its a wishlist.

In case of confusion, only 1 of those two keepers would be fine, I'm not saying we get both

58 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

People saying Werner is different, requires service etc. Habe a different option would be useful. We need a penalty box option, plenty of times we have struggled in close games. He will end up at Bayern anyway 

Except that he isn't? I don't watch RBL often (only their Europa games), he didn't look anything a classic 9 in any of the game -- for either RBL or Germany -- that I've seen. Very much a hybrid modern counterattacking player. 

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Werner is like Kuyt with a bit more pace. His touch is a bit crap, he’s not the most skilful, but he runs a lot, can play wide or central and knows where the goal is. Would be a pretty ideal back up for the top 3 positions really. Definitely a level below our current 3, but definitely a level up on the Shaq, Sturridge, Origi options.

He’ll go to Bayern though.

You had me at Kuyt.

• Upvote 4