You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I guess looking at it like that Brewster could save the club seven figures multiple times over.

Wish I could think of a snappier way to say that.

Brewster’s schizzle will save us dizzle.

42 minutes ago, sir roger said:

If Ajax have 15 of the top 10 young footballers in the world , why are they level in the Eredivisie with PSV ?

They are above them now. 

They'd be a great side if they didn't have to keep selling players every year. 

Then again, their kids wouldn't be as good as they are. 

9 minutes ago, Grinch said:

You'd swear people have actually seen Brewster play at a half decent level before. 

He must be shite. Sell him in the Summer, etc.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

If Ajax have 15 of the top 10 young footballers in the world , why are they level in the Eredivisie with PSV ?

Because they are young? And because of that, inconsistent? Probably coming up against experienced pros every week wanting to clog them, and they're still top of the League. 

4 hours ago, cloggypop said:

He is absolutely going, yes. Wherever the fuck he wants. 

Matthijs de Ligt has agreed personal terms with Barcelona on a five-year contract. The 19-year-old Ajax captain will pocket about the same salary as Frenkie de Jong at the Spanish club (€16 million a year).  @sport https://t.co/A39STby0Wa

7 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I believe I was one of the first banging the drum for Julian Brandt, about 3 years ago after watching him shine for Germany in the Olympics. I saw him step up to take a pen in a  shootout (it may even  have been the final), and he was as cool and assured as could be. A real leader.

However, since then he has regressed imo. Lacks searing pace and great dribbling, I wouldn't go near him now, we can do far better.

He’s absolutely thriving the last few months since he changed roles. 

He was a wide player & I’d agree he’d lack the pace to play there for us regularly. 

But playing as an attacking midfielder now, he looks so much better. He’s now beginning to show all the hype & promise. 

Could be our De Bruyne. 

For those saying we won't sign an attacker, do you really think we're going to go into next season with such a huge drop-off in quality behind our front 3?

I'm a huge fan of Brewster, but there's no way he should be second choice next season. He will get a lot of minutes as third choice centre forward, and that will be plenty for him to show that he's good enough to play even more.

I think we can all agree that our main issue right now is depth. Our first XI is one of the top 5 in the world, but our bench is miles behind the likes of City or Barca. We need at least one more versatile attacking player so that our choice for the front three can be 3 from 4 rather than 3 from 3. It's fine to have Origi, Shaqiri and Brewster behind that, but we simply can't rely on another season without a major injury to any of Mane, Firmino and Salah. We might not get that lucky again.

Werner would obviously be perfect as he can play out left or in Firmino's position in the middle, but I think he's going to Bayern. Brandt doesn't quite suit as well as he's played his best football at AM but could still be an option in the front line. At any rate, I'm not exactly sure who it will be but I'm almost certain that Edwards & Klopp will be looking to bring in one really good player who can play across at least two positions in our front 3, or maybe a player who is a goalscoring #10 who could be moved up into the central spot where Bobby plays (not going to call it centre forward as that's not quite how he plays it).

• Upvote 1