You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Just now, viRdjil said:

He’s quick enough but not blistering though unlike young Bale.

Yeah, not as quick as Bale but no slouch.  Also, his delivery is so good that he doesn't need to beat a man.  I'd like to see him get a few minutes in the front three as an experiment, when we're 3-0 up or something. 

21 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't want any one season wonders. We've got to where we are by buying 23-26 year olds that can make the step up. Sessegnon is too young. 

I think that was fine for where we were 3 years ago but where we are now we definitely need to get younger as a squad. The bulk of our squad right now is 27-29, which is fine for another year or two but eventually we need a few 22-year olds coming into their peaks behind them.

Since we no longer have any urgent holes in our first XI why not go out and get a few up-and-coming players who are 19-22? They can be backups for a season or two as they transition into the starting XI and then in a few years we'll be in a good position when Salah/Mane/van Dijk/Henderson etc. start to decline.

• Like 1

Buy a back up keeper, preferably English to help quotas. An experienced back up for left back, a young up and coming left back for cover. Possibly a new centre half if Lovren wants off, or just to replace him or Matip.

An attacking midfielder/winger to start regularly and to offer help and cover for the front three.

A back up striker to compete with Brewster and possibly Origi. Preferably one who can also play wide.

Out. Mignolet. Moreno. Clyne.  Lallana. Sturridge. Kent. Wilson. Ejaria. Ojo. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think that was fine for where we were 3 years ago but where we are now we definitely need to get younger as a squad. The bulk of our squad right now is 27-29, which is fine for another year or two but eventually we need a few 22-year olds coming into their peaks behind them.

Since we no longer have any urgent holes in our first XI why not go out and get a few up-and-coming players who are 19-22? They can be backups for a season or two as they transition into the starting XI and then in a few years we'll be in a good position when Salah/Mane/van Dijk/Henderson etc. start to decline.

I agree, in the most part, but the danger when you start signing players in their early 20's is they haven't failed yet. They haven't been through adversity. There's a couple of kids every year that come along and look like the next big thing, and they get a big move and fail. A mid twenties player has the experience and has faced career setbacks and overcome them. 

Klopp seems to rate that as well, if you look at his signings of AOC, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Salah. They were all massively hyped when they were young and either made bad career moves or injuries stifled their growth. I wouldn't mind us signing a Depay or someone of that ilk because they'll be coming with a point to prove. 

I believe I was one of the first banging the drum for Julian Brandt, about 3 years ago after watching him shine for Germany in the Olympics. I saw him step up to take a pen in a  shootout (it may even  have been the final), and he was as cool and assured as could be. A real leader.

However, since then he has regressed imo. Lacks searing pace and great dribbling, I wouldn't go near him now, we can do far better.

Ryan Sessegnon is fools gold. He can't defend and isn't that good in attack. Perfect as a wingback in a 532 but another one I wouldn't touch with a  barge pole.

Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek, nah, what do they do? Good physical specimens but average footballers. Like that Rice kid for the Hammers, completely overrated. He'll have a decent Gareth Barry like career.

Keep our powder dry and don't shell out on average shite.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely spot on..... 

All about Neres for me, be perfect in our team...

theres a few from Ajax in all fairness, Ziyech is very good as well got a bit of Suarez about him.

These young English players they are banging the drum about is ridiculous, especially the fees.

36 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I believe I was one of the first banging the drum for Julian Brandt, about 3 years ago after watching him shine for Germany in the Olympics. I saw him step up to take a pen in a  shootout (it may even  have been the final), and he was as cool and assured as could be. A real leader.

However, since then he has regressed imo. Lacks searing pace and great dribbling, I wouldn't go near him now, we can do far better.

Ryan Sessegnon is fools gold. He can't defend and isn't that good in attack. Perfect as a wingback in a 532 but another one I wouldn't touch with a  barge pole.

Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek, nah, what do they do? Good physical specimens but average footballers. Like that Rice kid for the Hammers, completely overrated. He'll have a decent Gareth Barry like career.

Keep our powder dry and don't shell out on average shite.

Genuinely interested your thoughts on Werner ? 

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

Id be surprised if we bought an attacker. Think Origi and Brewster will be back ups.

That's a massive risk. 

One injury and you are regularly relying on a kid yet to step on the pitch for the first team adter spending what 8 months on the treatment table recently 

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Buy a back up keeper, preferably English to help quotas. An experienced back up for left back, a young up and coming left back for cover. Possibly a new centre half if Lovren wants off, or just to replace him or Matip.

An attacking midfielder/winger to start regularly and to offer help and cover for the front three.

A back up striker to compete with Brewster and possibly Origi. Preferably one who can also play wide.

Out. Mignolet. Moreno. Clyne.  Lallana. Sturridge. Kent. Wilson. Ejaria. Ojo. 

That Wayne Hennessey seems the bright choice

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Moussa Dembele is tearing up the french league 

So did Joe Cole

I would punt it on-

Brandt 25M

Sessegnon 30M (i would like to see what Klopp could do with him given a year or so)

Maybe Werner Or Richarlson (as i think he is pretty good and wasted with the BS and imagine the hysterics! it would be a thing of beauty)