You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

11 hours ago, Boss said:

The Lyon fans aren't particularly complimentary about him. They say he makes bad choices, his passing is poor and he's only had 6 or 7 good games this season. He's treated with impunity by the coach and he's been hampered physically since the knee injury. Also that he plays for himself. Some have asked for him to be stripped of the captaincy. 

really ? Never heard or read that. He’s having a bad season, but he’s a very good player.  Skillful, strong,  power will, match winner. And I believe he’s a fan’ favorite ....

19 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've had reservations with him because of his injury history and the fact that he's tactically inflexible.

A few years ago, he was comparable in talent to Hazard and had pace and power to boot. He was incredible. After his knee tear, he's less able to beat his man and is way less explosive. He still has a lovely left foot, is good in the final third and uses his body well to draw fouls, but it's just different.

Basically though, I think he's a bit of a  risk. I'm sure he'd be good because we have plenty of other great attacking players, he wouldn't have so much pressure to be the focal point and he would undoubtedly link up well with everyone, but I feel like there may be better options than him. Maybe for the price, we wouldn't find better, though, that could also be a factor.

I agree with this and I really don't understand anyone that thinks we're still in for Fekir. If we got as far as the medical, then took him for a second opinion, and then after that second opinion the deal was "mysteriously" turned down, then the reason is his knee. I don't care what his agent says - what else is he going to say? "My client's knee is made out of bubble gum and string, signing him would be a huge risk"?

We obviously need at least one more really, really good attacking player to give us a bit of depth behind (and alongside, if he's good enough) the front three. Maybe two, if we're really going to get a #10 that so many talk about.

If we are after a #10, which I'm not convinced of, I'd love Bruno Fernandes. We probably will go a bit younger as most of our players are approaching the ends of their peaks in the next 2-3 years and that will be on Edwards' mind, but other than that he's pretty much perfect. He has 27 goals from midfield this season!

But I really think it'll be a player for the front line, someone a bit versatile who can play a number of positions. Maybe Brandt, who could play as an AM or on either flank at wide forward, but there's a lot of smoke around Joao Felix that makes a considerable amount of sense to me. If we really do think that he has the potential to be at the very top of the game in a few years then it would make perfect sense to bring him in now and let him develop as our fourth attacker.

• Upvote 1

Joao Felix couldn't be more perfect for the Firmino role. He's in that exact mold of player. Half striker, half attacking midfielder who can drop back and create space but still get in the box and finish. The hype around him is crazy. People saying he's the best Portuguese young player since Ronaldo, the best Benfica player since Bernardo Silva. The problem is if Benfica are selling he's 100m+ no doubt about it. 

I agree with Fernandes as well, he could play in an attacking role in a midfield 3 no problem. Think Milinkovic-Savic would be a great option for that as well. 

I think without any big sales, we're probably looking at only one big purchase. Will really just depend what position Klopp wants it to be in the most, but those players all make sense. Along with those, I think Pepe would make most sense if we're looking at forwards/wingers. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Think Milinkovic-Savic would be a great option for that as well. 

Be the perfect summer to try and get him with Lazio touch and go on getting a Europa spot. 

Not sure he's the sort we would be looking for though with Nabby, Chamberlain and Hendo looking like he might play more advanced next year. 

Still like Frank Kessie myself. Not pushed on as much as it look like he might but that Milan team/ownership has been a fucking shambles

GK: set (Becker), need backup because Mignolet should leave (for playing time).

RB: set (TAA), need back up, Camacho will leave, if I understand the situation correctly.

LB: set (Robbo), need back up, Moreno is heading to Barcelona's bench. 

CBs: set (VVD, Gomes, Matip, Lovren), need replacement for Lovren if we sell, chance is we won't. 

DM: set (Fabinho, Hendo to cover).

B2B: set, more or less (Hendo, Gini, Oxlain, Naby), need to replace Milner, that'll be difficult because he's so versatile and could cover so many positions. Might need 2 or 3 players just to replace Milner, that's pretty mind boggling. 

Forwards: set (Firmino, Salah, Mane, with Shaqiri and Origi as cover). Perhaps need a bit more depth here, although we might need to consider how that would obstruct Brewster's progress. Origi fighting his way back from the cold was a surprise, though I'm not convinced he'll ever capture the form he had before getting hacked down by Funes Mori. Hard to that when you don't get a run of games. 

The way I see it we are in a great position -- we don't have to make big signings, only need to make them when opportunities present themselves. 

Lovren might want to leave. Can't see him being the type to be happy as 4th choice. 

Milner all depends on Leeds from the reports 

Origi is interesting. I like him, always have. Will he be happy with being a impact sub. Big summer for him as his loan move was a massive failure and doesn't get any starts really. 

Brewster is a strange one. Needs games to progress but you can't rely on him as he's never played first team football. A loan spell might be best. 

Wilson, seems the club want a top flight loan deal. 

Shaqiri seems right out of favour at the moment. Would not be shocked if he went

The West Ham keeper Adrian is out of contract this summer as is Vorm both could be decent back ups. Robert Green is too and if Klopp thinks Kelleher might be ready bringing Green in would make sense. Helps the home grown quota too. Though I think Karius might be back as the Turks are ready to run him out of town 

On 13/04/2019 at 18:10, 3 Stacks said:

Joao Felix couldn't be more perfect for the Firmino role. He's in that exact mold of player. Half striker, half attacking midfielder who can drop back and create space but still get in the box and finish. The hype around him is crazy. People saying he's the best Portuguese young player since Ronaldo, the best Benfica player since Bernardo Silva. The problem is if Benfica are selling he's 100m+ no doubt about it. 

Joao Felix looks quality.  Benfica owe us a favour after Markovic.

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool are set to be in a three-way battle with Juventus and Real Madrid for Bayern Leverkusen’s Julian Brandt this summer. Brandt is believed to have a £21.6m release clause in his current deal. [Bild]

Even though last week the same paper said he had almost signed for Juventus.

This makes all the sense in the world.

I mean, I'd prefer Joao Felix or Fernandes but at that price you really couldn't go wrong with Brandt and we could probably still spend big on another position.

Oh, and I think Brewster will 100% be ready to get significant minutes next season. I'm not saying he should be Firmino's primary backup or anything but I'd be quite surprised if he was healthy all year and didn't get 1000 minutes or so. He's going to be a really, really good player; just to take one example, he's probably not far at all off Rashford's level even now.

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This makes all the sense in the world.

I mean, I'd prefer Joao Felix or Fernandes but at that price you really couldn't go wrong with Brandt and we could probably still spend big on another position.

Oh, and I think Brewster will 100% be ready to get significant minutes next season. I'm not saying he should be Firmino's primary backup or anything but I'd be quite surprised if he was healthy all year and didn't get 1000 minutes or so. He's going to be a really, really good player; just to take one example, he's probably not far at all off Rashford's level even now.

Rashford's pretty good pal -- been scoring in the top flight for 4 years now.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Hopefully we can get Werner for around the 35m mark.  

Rafa Camacho has apparently been slagging the coaching staff off on his Instagram for playing him as a defender.

Benfica are interested in him so maybe he can be used as part of a deal for Felix?

Wijnaldum, Achterberg and a few others liked Camacho’s tweet.