You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

According to reports, the Reds are once again interested in signing the England international. Pep Guardiola’s side have been heavily linked with the player in recent weeks, but Liverpool’s interest dates back for some time.New Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers even confirmed that he tried to sign the player during his time at Anfield.

It has already been suggested that Leicester will ask for somewhere in the region of £75 million for Chilwell this summer, with interest beginning to rise.

1461073246173.jpg&f=1

On 18/03/2019 at 07:33, Revenge negging cunt said:

Can't believe we were ahead of the mancs for so long. I thought they vastly out spent us in the 90s/early 00s

We wasted a lot on shite but at least we earnt the money and the right.

Watching City move on that graph is both disgusting and eye opening. 

Cheating cunts.

Saw the Varane swap with Mane, bullshit today.

We already have the best defence in Europe.  Why lose one of the best match winner in the league for such a minimal improvement.  Well the answer is we won't.

It is partly why I am not overly keen on getting De Ligt.  Boss player, going to be elite.  But £50m+ which doesn't really improve our First XI when Gomez is fit.  Even then Matip has been exceptional recently really (deserves more praise).  Guess you could argue Gomez is injured a lot.  But we still have the best defensive record despite all that.  I don't want to see £50m come which would potentially mean Gomez plays less or is shunted to RB again.  If Trent doesn't play I think the United game showed we need a really attacking threat in that position. 

If we're spending big this summer we need to do it where we can have improvement. So that means match winners.

Brandt, Pepe, Bergwijn, Jovic types are the ones I'd have thought we'd be looking at.  Assuming the Fekir ship has sailed. 

I do think some of our signings over the new few windows might be homegrown.  With Solanke sold, Clyne probably off soon, then Sturridge, Milner & Lallana probably more likely to be sold sooner rather than later given their age & position in the squad.  That quite a lot of homegrown players we are losing.  I know we like to promote youth, but someone like Ryan Sessegnon who can cover Robertson, play LW/ LM too & has great talent might be someone we look at to help boost our homegrown quota.  Guess James Maddison is another, as he's the right age & is probably a more productive, younger version of Lallana (not sure that's a compliment, guess it depend how highly you rate Lallana).  I do like Maddison, especially his ability to pick a pass, someone our midfield probably could be improved upon.  Ox & a fully adapted Keita will offer more penetration.  But I do think someone with the vision of a Maddison could really be useful at times.  A Havertz is probably an upgrade to Maddison, but I do think Maddison has a lot of the core qualities needed & someone Klopp could mould into an important player & improve, like he did with Ox & Robertson.  

I don't want to see Brandt come to be an alternative to Mane or Salah in the front three.  The reason why he's getting so much more praise now is because he is thriving as an attacking midfielder (if we go for him, that's where I want him playing 99% of the time).  Luckily Mane & Salah have (touch wood), been very lucky with injuries this season.  But getting another player of that skillset should be our number 1 target this summer IMO.  Pepe looks to be maybe the most productive who we could get.  But he's a bit of a maverick & at 23 might not totally buy into our team ethic (I could be doing him a disservice there).

Bergwijn would be my option as a wide player, assuming Dembele can't be prized away from Barca (looking unlikely).  Young, highly talented, getting more productive each season & is like a Sterling-lite. 

Jovic would be the striker I'd get.  So clinical but he can also create.  

Wouldn't say no to a Jovic, Bergwijn, Maddison, Sessegnon type summer.  Players at the right age, ability to develop & improve our already impressive squad. 

Probably would try to look to upgrade Lovren too.  But I'd be looking homegrown again in that regard, someone who is not called Tarkowski.  I'd be happy for a fourth choice option who can improve like Gomez did.  Don't think we need a star given the way VVD, Gomez & Matip have all performed this season.  Saying that I wouldn't say not to a Militao, Havertz, De Ligt, Dybala & Dembele - if money is no object!  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I’ve watched a handful of Fulham games this season, and I’ve never seen Sessegnon play LB. 

He's more of a LW/LM for them.

But the way Robertson & Trent play, we need our full backs to be big attacking threats.  He has the perfect skillset to do that.

Hope he's still on our radar.

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

The time to sign Maddison was last summer. They'll want at least £60m now and he's just not worth it. He was worth the punt at £22m though.

Financially - yes

But I think our transfers are becoming less & less about money over the years & more about risk.

If we spend big we want them to deliver & you're probably right that at £60m it's probably too much given he still has a lot to prove.  

We spent big on Alisson, Keita, Fabinho - but they had a history of delivering.  If we spend big we'd probably want someone with a few years of proven success.  

If Dybala becomes available I would not be surprised if we are interested.  He'd cost big but he has the skillset, experience & is the right age - money is becoming more less of a factor rather than getting the right player.

But we do probably need to spend on one or two homegrown players. 

4 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Matip has been good but not exceptional. He can be improved upon if we are planning on competing on all fronts next season.

I think if it wasn't for Van Dijk being so exceptional last month, he was probably our player of the month (maybe Mane).  

He's not been at fault for any goals really (Van Dijk can't even say that).  He's got clean sheets without Van Dijk (Bayern), he's brought the ball out of player.  Our defence have hardly conceded any goals since he's been in the side.  One was a foul on Alisson vs Burnley, the other a mistake by Van Dijk / Alisson.  

I think it's time Matip got the praise he deserves.  Deserves to keep his spot even if Gomez is fit after International break.  Can't give him much more praise than that. 

Van Dijk and Allison are proof that you get what you pay for. We could do with adding 1 or 2 50m + players this summer. Ideally a CM and a Forward. If Mane goes (or Salah) then I'd like to think we would bring in Greizmann or someone of that ilk. 

Did I just read above that De Ligt doesn't improve out defence when Gomez is fit???? I rate Gomez but De Ligt is on another level. 

1 hour ago, LF:D said:

I think if it wasn't for Van Dijk being so exceptional last month, he was probably our player of the month (maybe Mane).  

He's not been at fault for any goals really (Van Dijk can't even say that).  He's got clean sheets without Van Dijk (Bayern), he's brought the ball out of player.  Our defence have hardly conceded any goals since he's been in the side.  One was a foul on Alisson vs Burnley, the other a mistake by Van Dijk / Alisson.  

I think it's time Matip got the praise he deserves.  Deserves to keep his spot even if Gomez is fit after International break.  Can't give him much more praise than that. 

I've always had Matip down as a player who's performance is dependent on the performance of the other CB next to him. 

When he's been paired with Lovren, and he has a shit game then Matip does too.

Obviously Virgil is one of those players that raises the ability of everyone around him, and because of that Matip has also been playing extremely well for us. 

I've always had a soft spot for him, but that's probably just default by the fact he isn't Lovren. 

ZIZOU BACK FOR MANE
There isn’t a player in Europe Real Madrid haven’t been linked with since Zinedine Zidane returned to the club last week. But France Football reckons there is concrete interest from Real in Sadio Mane.

Their claim is that Zidane wanted the Liverpool attacker at the end of last season but his abrupt resignation ended Mane’s hopes of a move to the Bernabeu. But now Zidane is back, so is Real’s desire to land the Senegal star

Apparently, Real’s pursuit of Mane was ‘very advanced’ last year and his recent form will do nothing to dampen their interest.

So that’s Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester UnitedManchester City and Tottenham all with reason to worry about Real’s impending splurge. Presumably they can’t sign them all…

fuck off Zidane you bald headed cunt 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree about Sturridge obviously. Brewster is an unproven youngster who’s been out for a year. Be very surprised if he can make serious contributions to the first team next season. Probably should go loan to get match fit and experience from a decent level of first team football.

Wilson has a wand of a left foot, but has looked lightweight and a bit passive in the few games I’ve seen him. Let’s hope he can make the step up, but I somehow doubt it. We’re one of the best teams around now, and even squad players need to be of very high quality.

Get all of that fella, but for me, a high class striker with a couple of the 'supposed' youth coming through, feels like the right choice for me.

What we'd give for an 18 year old Robbie Fowler coming through right now from the youth set up.