You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

United spent similar money in relative terms because they didn't need to spend it. The foundations were already there. We had to sign 6-7 players every summer to improve on the shite we had in the squad. They only needed a sprinkle of quality, the rest was already in place. It was also a different time. As Bobby said £30m would buy you one of the best in the world, and they had free reign to sign basically anyone playing for a club not named Liverpool and Arsenal. 

The signing of Berbatov - just in isolation - would be like us signing Harry Kane. Their signing of Van Persie would be like us signing Aguero. It's just totally different nowadays.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

Anyone watch much German footy? Saw a defender for ausburg that looked a good young one, Kevin Danso think he was called ..

Good call man. He's a big unit at 6'3 and his speed is incredible. He was in MK Dons before moving. Werner called him as a Colossus. Think he chose to represent Austria

• Upvote 1

LIVERPOOL TO BREAK WORLD RECORD AGAIN?
Having spent £75m on Virgil van Dijk, Liverpool might think nothing of spending £85m on another centre-half. Though spending £85m on a centre-half with just ten senior appearances for his club might be a little extravagant even for Liverpool.

The player in question is 21-year-old Ferro of Benfica, and Portuguese newspaper Record claims that the Reds are interested in matching his release clause, two years after their bid to take him on loan with a view to a £10m transfer was turned down

2 hours ago, Istvan Kosma said:

Anyone watch much German footy? Saw a defender for ausburg that looked a good young one, Kevin Danso think he was called ..

Was trying to remember where I had heard his name before and it was from a report that we scouted him a month or two before we brought in van Dijk. Obviously wasn't looked at as an alternative but it was still interesting.

Went and looked at his numbers and they're quite good for someone his age. Worth keeping tabs on, at any rate. Probably a year or two away from being good enough for us but certainly has the potential to be excellent in a few years.

Edit: Re: Ferreira, if we're going to be spending 80m or whatever on a centre half you can put your money on it being De Ligt. Can't see us even remotely considering anywhere near that on anyone else.

As far as unheralded Bundesliga centre backs go, Willi Orban has been an ever present rock for Leipzig since they got promoted. He doesn't play the ball out from the back. He's not fast or physically gifted like Van Dijk but he knows how to defend.

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I think there's less demand for transfer stories when your season isn't a total flaming wreckage by the end of March.

Give it a month.

I'd give it less than a week, the media gets very bored during international breaks, so they fabricate stories to keep the clicks and papers selling. 

38 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We really are feeding off scraps in terms of transfer rumours these days. Few years ago we'd at least get reliable links once in a while during the season from the Joyce/Pearce/Bascombe/Reddy journo brigade. Absolutely nothing now. 

@El Rojo, give me something, mate. Please. 

3 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Sack off Sturrudge and Origi, go get Werner or similar and bring Brewster into the fold and also bring Wilson into the fold as well. I'd be more comfortable with them 3 plus the usual 3 having that as our mix of 6, for the 3 attacking positions per game. 

Agree about Sturridge obviously. Brewster is an unproven youngster who’s been out for a year. Be very surprised if he can make serious contributions to the first team next season. Probably should go loan to get match fit and experience from a decent level of first team football.

Wilson has a wand of a left foot, but has looked lightweight and a bit passive in the few games I’ve seen him. Let’s hope he can make the step up, but I somehow doubt it. We’re one of the best teams around now, and even squad players need to be of very high quality.

11 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

@El Rojo, give me something, mate. Please. 

Hearing Klopp still wants Zielinski. The likeable German sees the Polish playmaker as a creative hub with the xG explosiveness to bring his Red charges further along. Hearing Napoli will be reluctant to sell, though.