You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

10 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Presuming you watch De Ligt quite a bit cloggy, 

Is he had and shoulders above the other centre halves in the Dutch league? Worth the hype in your opinion? 

He is still very young and learning what he is doing. He's big, strong, fast and smart though. Going to be some player. 

6 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Just found out that de Ligt's agent is one Mino Raiola. Isn't he the agent who gave Coutinho a bad back?

I was reading an article the other day that was saying De Ligt hasn't received any offers from top clubs, precisely because Mino Raiola is his agent. Non of them can be arsed dealing with him, including us. 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm not sure about a 5th centre back long term (I'd have bought one on Jan as we had nobody fit enough to sell). We just need to make sure if we buy one, he's one with a decent injury record. Then let either lovren or matip go. 

It's a bit of a relief looking at our squad needs this summer; whereas before it's been "well, we can patch one or two of the five holes we have" at this point it's just getting a bit of depth and getting a bit younger so we can look to the future somewhat.

In terms of first XI, we're basically set. If you look at the bench it's a longer list but obviously, because you're talking about the bench, it's less urgent. Obviously we need a backup LB, it'd be nice if he was also capable of backing up RB as well. Some sort of versatile forward option that could play 2 different positions up front is lacking, and then the CB situation as we're discussing.

For me if we're looking at CB it'd be great to get a younger player who isn't far off Gomez' level, i.e. a step above Lovren/Matip, but hopefully more durable than young Joe. Then we can sell one of them and have it be VVD/Gomez/Player X/Matip, for example, with Phillips and Hoever the emergency or Cup players. It's really too bad we never followed through on Akanji who's now at Dortmund, he would have been ideal for the sort of player I'm talking about. I think the likes of Militao and de Ligt are now out of our price range (assuming we're also targeting Werner up front - I really don't think we're getting two 50m+ players this summer).

Maybe Diallo or Zagadou off Dortmund? Or go back in for Tah, his reputation seems to have cooled and presumably he wouldn't be huge money. I love the idea of Upamecano but Leipzig are hard to deal with. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly who it should be but I know Edwards will have a list and a good idea. Then just pick someone who's available for whatever-we-get-for-Lovren-plus-10m.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

It's a bit of a relief looking at our squad needs this summer; whereas before it's been "well, we can patch one or two of the five holes we have" at this point it's just getting a bit of depth and getting a bit younger so we can look to the future somewhat.

In terms of first XI, we're basically set. If you look at the bench it's a longer list but obviously, because you're talking about the bench, it's less urgent. Obviously we need a backup LB, it'd be nice if he was also capable of backing up RB as well. Some sort of versatile forward option that could play 2 different positions up front is lacking, and then the CB situation as we're discussing.

For me if we're looking at CB it'd be great to get a younger player who isn't far off Gomez' level, i.e. a step above Lovren/Matip, but hopefully more durable than young Joe. Then we can sell one of them and have it be VVD/Gomez/Player X/Matip, for example, with Phillips and Hoever the emergency or Cup players. It's really too bad we never followed through on Akanji who's now at Dortmund, he would have been ideal for the sort of player I'm talking about. I think the likes of Militao and de Ligt are now out of our price range (assuming we're also targeting Werner up front - I really don't think we're getting two 50m+ players this summer).

Maybe Diallo or Zagadou off Dortmund? Or go back in for Tah, his reputation seems to have cooled and presumably he wouldn't be huge money. I love the idea of Upamecano but Leipzig are hard to deal with. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly who it should be but I know Edwards will have a list and a good idea. Then just pick someone who's available for whatever-we-get-for-Lovren-plus-10m.

I think what we do in the summer will 100% driven by exits. I expect Moreno, sturridge, origi and possibly lallana to go. Milner maybe too if Leeds come up and the rumour is true. And we may have to do something on goal depending on the ming.  I expect us to replace just on of sturridge and origi from outside the club, Moreno with that lad from Bristol. The only way I see a centre back coming in is if we can move one out. 

On 2/15/2019 at 9:31 PM, Shooter in the Motor said:

We have a couple of talented young centre backs - Hoever and Nat Phillips. Lovren and Matip are both matchstick men so I can see one of them out, new one in and all will be rosy with the world again.

I think one out, one in is the most likely outcome. If we upgrade on either Lovren / Matip (quality & injury wise) then VVD // Gomez // Newbie // Lovren/Matip // Kid for Back Up would be a great step forward. 

I think the money being asked for de Ligt is way over what we would pay with van Dijk and Gomez already here. Think moving out one or both Matip and Lovren and looking at someone like Upamecano,Ake or Rice would make sense, especially with Rice being able to get games in midfield too

• Upvote 1

See Kloppo has said he was interested in Sancho but knew there was no hope, which makes sense. Absolute fucking state of City though, letting him go and paying £60m for Mahrez instead. Develop a potentially world class kid or pay a fortune to put the player blocking him on the bench? Mad. As. Fuck. 

On 2/16/2019 at 4:41 PM, Ne Moe Imya said:

Diallo is fucking shite 

On 2/16/2019 at 7:25 PM, Barry Wom said:

I think what we do in the summer will 100% driven by exits. I expect Moreno, sturridge, origi and possibly lallana to go. Milner maybe too if Leeds come up and the rumour is true. And we may have to do something on goal depending on the ming.  I expect us to replace just on of sturridge and origi from outside the club, Moreno with that lad from Bristol. The only way I see a centre back coming in is if we can move one out. 

I find it's never worth expecting us to get rid of specific players, and certainly not worth tallying up how much we'd potentially get for them. 

Every player you've mentioned apart from maybe Milner has been on our list of expected sales for at least the last 3 transfer windows. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all still here next season. 

Then we'll get about 25 million for Connor Randall and everyone will be left wondering what the fucks going on. 

7 hours ago, Aventus said:

I find it's never worth expecting us to get rid of specific players, and certainly not worth tallying up how much we'd potentially get for them. 

Every player you've mentioned apart from maybe Milner has been on our list of expected sales for at least the last 3 transfer windows. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all still here next season. 

Then we'll get about 25 million for Connor Randall and everyone will be left wondering what the fucks going on. 

Sturridge and Moreno are out of contract and have been told they're not being offered another. So they're gone. I agree about the rest and I think with the wages we pay it'll be tough to shift the ming. 

14 hours ago, Paul said:

See Kloppo has said he was interested in Sancho but knew there was no hope, which makes sense. Absolute fucking state of City though, letting him go and paying £60m for Mahrez instead. Develop a potentially world class kid or pay a fortune to put the player blocking him on the bench? Mad. As. Fuck. 

Yeah, that was a mistake. And only an English team would give up an unbelievable young player like that to get someone more experienced. That's a real flaw in the mindset of the top teams in the country. 

Maybe Sancho always wanted to go, but you force him to stay, you guarantee him playing time. They kept Foden, after all. Just so dumb from City, not that they can't afford to do things like that, but still. 

Being the miserable bastard that I am, I am quite concerned about the squad and this summer.

We are again stretched to the limit due to injuries with players playing out of position to cover holes and of course 1 injury to the front 3 away from having to field absolute shite to replace one of them.

We don't have a back up keeper of any note.

We don't have a back up left back or right back (not a fan of using Gomez across two positions, he is a centre half)

Depth is debatable at centre half - as evidenced by what has happened there this season (same thing could happen any season)

Midfield still lacks that creative spark - although it is probably better stocked in terms of numbers than other areas.

In attack we have the square root of nothing after the front 3......

OK, maybe Wilson and Brewster step up - but that is a gamble.

Surely we are looking at Lallana, Moreno, Origi, Sturridge, Moreno going - all of who are sitting on our bench regularly.

Milner too may go.

Oxlade coming back into squad is helpful - but feels to me like we are potentially very light and the drop off from first choice to back up looks potentially huge in a lot of areas.

We were stretched to fuck towards end of last season, we have been stretched to fuck lately - and the idea of Sturridge or Origi starting games in a title run in or in the latter stages of European Cup if we get there if we lose Salah, Mane or Firmino at any time is depressing!

Maybe Klopp has "got this" but feels like we are potentially light to me and need a good number of additions (would be nice to be able to compete in domestic cups for example by being able to pick a team that has changes but is not such a massive drop off from our best team).....can we also bed in a number of new players in one summer window.

Mane and Salah will be stuck in Africa for a big part of the summer too - bound to have a negative impact on pre season and likely their start to season - who steps in/up?

33 minutes ago, an tha said:

Being the miserable bastard that I am, I am quite concerned about the squad and this summer.

We are again stretched to the limit due to injuries with players playing out of position to cover holes and of course 1 injury to the front 3 away from having to field absolute shite to replace one of them.

We don't have a back up keeper of any note.

We don't have a back up left back or right back (not a fan of using Gomez across two positions, he is a centre half)

Depth is debatable at centre half - as evidenced by what has happened there this season (same thing could happen any season)

Midfield still lacks that creative spark - although it is probably better stocked in terms of numbers than other areas.

In attack we have the square root of nothing after the front 3......

OK, maybe Wilson and Brewster step up - but that is a gamble.

Surely we are looking at Lallana, Moreno, Origi, Sturridge, Moreno going - all of who are sitting on our bench regularly.

Milner too may go.

Oxlade coming back into squad is helpful - but feels to me like we are potentially very light and the drop off from first choice to back up looks potentially huge in a lot of areas.

We were stretched to fuck towards end of last season, we have been stretched to fuck lately - and the idea of Sturridge or Origi starting games in a title run in or in the latter stages of European Cup if we get there if we lose Salah, Mane or Firmino at any time is depressing!

Maybe Klopp has "got this" but feels like we are potentially light to me and need a good number of additions (would be nice to be able to compete in domestic cups for example by being able to pick a team that has changes but is not such a massive drop off from our best team).....can we also bed in a number of new players in one summer window.

Mane and Salah will be stuck in Africa for a big part of the summer too - bound to have a negative impact on pre season and likely their start to season - who steps in/up?

We'll get that kid from Bristol to play left back and CB and then buy a #10 and striker for depth, with Wilson returning as well maybe. Then if Mignolet goes, we'll get some random experienced keeper. That'll do it. 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We'll get that kid from Bristol to play left back and CB and then buy a #10 and striker for depth, with Wilson returning as well maybe. Then if Mignolet goes, we'll get some random experienced keeper. That'll do it. 

Still no depth next season then. 

14 hours ago, Paul said:

Sancho moved to Dortmund two seasons ago. Mahrez was only signed this season. They had just sold Nolito and Navas at the time, and while they did sign Bernardo Silva, the latter was always meant to be David Silva's long-term replacement. So, he would almost certainly have gotten some game time off the bench. He's the one who rejected the contract offers and wanted a move, with better guarantees of starting time at Dortmund I guess. But, it had little to do with Mahrez.