You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Leicester 1 (Jan 30 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Just imagine how we’d be feeling today if City hadn’t lost at Newcastle. As it is, things are alright actually. In fact, they’re more than alright. We’ve turned a four point lead into a five point lead. Sound.

Yeah, we’d all have been happier if it was seven, but the bottom line is we’ve got a bigger lead than we had going into this week’s fixtures, and we’re one game closer to the finish line too.

We didn’t play well against Leicester and a draw was a fair result. That being said, if Martin Atkinson does his job properly then we win the game comfortably. He failed to send off Harry Maguire for a clear red card offence and Maguire then went on to score the equaliser. 

Atkinson then refused to give the most obvious of penalties when Keita was tripped in the act of shooting. Is it an excuse for not winning the game? Well yeah, it is actually. 

Of course we could have played better and some will make the point that we didn’t do enough to deserve the points, but as I say, if Atkinson does what he’s paid to do then we’re not having this discussion and instead we’re talking about a good, professional job and another three points.

That’s the main difference between the dropped points here and some of the games that we managed to win despite not being at our best. Small details can settle games. A bit of luck here, a refereeing decision there. We’ve had some good breaks this season, but not in this game.

City’s loss means it’s easier to be fairly relaxed about this and take an objective view. The way I see it, this was always going to happen sooner or later. We had a 100% record against everyone below 5th place in the table. That’s incredible at this stage of the season but it’s not really sustainable. 

If anyone was going to ruin that record, Leicester were probably the most likely. Claude Puel has some kind of weird voodoo curse over Klopp and outside of the ‘big six’ I think Leicester are the best of the rest. 

Wolves might have something to say about that, but Leicester won the league a few years back and still have a number of that side playing now. On their day they can beat anyone and they are particularly well suited to playing against good teams. 

We should beat them and probably seven or eight times out of ten we do, but there’s always a risk of dropping points against a team like that if things don’t go quite according to plan or if you don’t get the rub of the green. Things certainly didn’t go according to plan and we definitely didn’t get the rub of the green.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

I know we are 5 points ahead but it feels like we're behind after that game and the performance against Palace. OK, we won against Palace but it was tough going. Last night was eye aids. 

It's clearly nerves on my part that is making me fear the worst. Beat the bubble blowing cunts and I'll feel a little bit better, but for now I'm not convinced we'll get over the line. 

I can see us winning this and also the CL.

This is a beautiful time in our history and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Maintain your composure, strap-in and enjoy the ride lads. And everyone who goes to the games need to go absolutely mental for the full 90+ like the away fans do, and stop overthinking it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

I can see us winning this and also the CL.

This is a beautiful time in our history and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Maintain your composure, strap-in and enjoy the ride lads. And everyone who goes to the games need to go absolutely mental for the full 90+ like the away fans do, and stop overthinking it. 

I'll have what he's having.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kevin Friend of all people did his job by giving us a penalty against Brighton which ended up being the difference between us. 

If Atkinson does his job and sends Maguire of for denying Mane and if he penalizes Ricardo and gives him a second yellow card for denying Keita a goal scoring opportunity our chances of winning increases. 

I hate blaming factors outside of our control but when the ref does something this egregious then it's only fair to complain. Not that anyone will listen cos the FA and refs wants Liverpool to win. 

• Upvote 1

Mane in full stride with a big head start against Johnny Evans who had been holding the line and would therefore have been going from almost a standing start.

Sadio is picking the ball up on the left and cutting into the box before Evans gets anywhere near him. It's an obvious scoring opportunity.

Something else that I didn't mention in the report. The incident in the first half when Mo ran into Maguire and went down. My thoughts at the time were that it wasn't a foul as Maguire couldn't have done anything about it. Looking at the replay, Maguire actually forearm smashes him in the throat and isn't even paying attention to the ball. 

I'm not saying it's a stonewall pen as it wasn't, but it was a closer call than I thought at the time. And what makes it more irritating is Leicester got a free kick soon after for pretty much the same thing, when one of their lads cut inside Naby (I think) and ran straight into him.

Hey. Are we really in that kind of situation, we must play Hendo on the right back??????????? Okey, I know Trent A is off, but . I liked almost everything what Dave wrote, like always. but there is a one thing I must say.

There were the times, when we had S-S-S (Suarez, STURRIDGE, Sterling) in our attack. Can you understand, what might feel Daniel now?  He is still good player, but Firmino is always ahead of him. Sturre was left alone. Sterling went to oilers and suarez to the sun (Barce). i would give Sturridge a change. Bobby is not so good like "everybody" is like to know. T. Jari Litmanen and Sami Hyypiä are finnish too

43 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

The recent controversy over Salah gave Atkinson an out on the Keita decision, I reckon.

Definitely and that’s the saddest part. Had the name on the shirt spelled Henderson or Milner rather than Keita, I believe he would’ve given it.

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
6 minutes ago, timo1966 said:

Hey. Are we really in that kind of situation, we must play Hendo on the right back??????????? Okey, I know Trent A is off, but . I liked almost everything what Dave wrote, like always. but there is a one thing I must say.

There were the times, when we had S-S-S (Suarez, STURRIDGE, Sterling) in our attack. Can you understand, what might feel Daniel now?  He is still good player, but Firmino is always ahead of him. Sturre was left alone. Sterling went to oilers and suarez to the sun (Barce). i would give Sturridge a change. Bobby is not so good like "everybody" is like to know. T. Jari Litmanen and Sami Hyypiä are finnish too

The problem is that Sturridge's legs have gone. He can't run. Look at the clips of him from that 13/14 season and look at him now. He's unrecognisable. That's why he never plays. If he was at the level he was back then he'd be getting regular games.

The other problem is he has hardly played and has no sharpness.

Personally I'd have never picked him again after the Wolves game as his attitude was a disgrace. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What pisses me off is the Salah this and Salah that regarding his "alleged" diving to win pens yet the four he has got three didn't matter (even though they were penalties) as we were well ahead and the Brighton one was a stone-wall pen....

But in the two league games we haven't won this year both Leicester and City (Kompany) should have been reduced to ten men yet not a fucking peep out of the media regarding this especially when you look at the Wolves guy sent off against City after about 10 minutes

I think the last person sent off against us was Guardiola .

• Upvote 3

Sturre is a player, who needs trust. Dave , you know, like me, sturre is not an "easy guy", but he has in his foots quality.(Chelsea 1-1). If I would be Daniel, I would be pissed of. FIRMINO is no better player than him.

Get a challenge for him (2-3 games) and compare what Bobby has done. Bobby has done so fortunate goals in this season (Crystal Palace, Arsenal) and so on. ManCity goal was Trent and Taa made up. t. Sami Hyypiä, best defender and a good person, ynwa

Just backing up something you mentioned a few times over the weeks, where is the run in behind the full back, every time we do it we create something, Mane & salah give and go on each side of the pitch, then running in the box with their trickery …..I lost count of the times Moreno got the ball on left, checked and came back inside (it must have been him in a Robertson mask surely).

Only that brainfart would have tripped a man going nowhere in the last minute of a tight first half or take on a knee high volley from 25 yards out, I bet after the game they found Robbo bound and gagged in a shower cubicle.

Also where are those pacey counter attacks? can't all be down to the pitch? .  I am like you, if they are like this with 14 to go god help us in April.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Not for me, Mane was too far far out, also he would have had to change direction to his left to collect the ball, as has been said by another poster it was an opportunity but not a clear one.

Nobody seems to have noticed that Salah was after bombing past Chilwell (?) at the opposite side, so it would've been Mané and Salah against Schmeichel.

Fairly obvious goalscoring opportunity.

• Upvote 1

It just pisses you off because it’s gamesmanship that they’ve got no intention of addressing.  The defender thinks fuck it he’s probably going to score here and if I foul him the chances are I’ll only get a yellow, so he does it.  Then it’s all backed up by referees covering their own arses saying the other defender MIGHT have got back.  Why’s that the attacking teams problem?  Unless he’s definitely there covering then it should be a red because he’s intentionally brought him down with no chance of getting the ball.  He’s made the decision to bring him down and why would he do that if it wasn’t a goalscoring opportunity.  If they sent defenders off more regularly for pulling this shit then it would happen less.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic