You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: I am connected to Liverpool for a lifetime

tlw content

While Luis Suarez may have left Liverpool a number of years ago, it is clear that he still has a true love for the club.

The Uruguayan striker brought a smile to every Reds fan with his true footballing ability which was simply something to behold.

Suarez scored 82 goals in 133 games for the club, many of which were pieces of splendid individual skill, however it was his resilient nature was was just as noteworthy.

The striker got a fair old kicking on a weekly basis, however it was his tendency to shrug it off and continue to terrorise the opponents by scoring and setting up goals which was to his true credit.

While he was beloved by Liverpool fans, he was certainly loathed by the greater football public for what can only be described as some unusual antics.

However individuals with a touch of genius also have some eccentricity to their nature and there is no doubt Suarez falls into that category.

A true sign of the overall impact of a player is how the team performs after they leave the club.

After a sad (albeit an inevitable) departure,  it was around 18 months before the gloom began to lift and the methods of Jurgen Klopp were starting to falling into place and a new era was born.

Now 32, Suarez is still performing at a exceptionally high standard at Barcelona with 15 goals in La Liga this season.

Suarez has kept a eye on the progress of his old club, and is thrilled by their current position.

The Liverpool Echo (via German magazine 11FREUNDE) reported Suarez as saying:

"Anyone who has ever played in Liverpool remains connected to the club for a lifetime.

"The team plays terrific football and I am very interested in how they will do this year. I think we can still be prepared for a lot.”

While not forecasting a return to the club anytime soon, Suarez said the idea of working with Klopp was something that all players would love to do.

luis-suarez-celebrates-everton-liverpool_3040183.jpg

"Currently we work for two different clubs so that's not an issue for me at the moment.

"But sure, every player would like to train under Jurgen Klopp"

It is likely a improbable dream, and there is a old adage that 'you never go back as it isn't nearly as good second time around.'

But if all the stars aligned and looked like a fair deal, you would seriously have to think about it, even it was a few years down the line in a bit-part role.

For now, we can reminisce about the special times and be content that the 'mad little genius' still has Liverpool well and truly in his heart.

View full article

Only likes us now because we look like we are finally moving in the right direction. Kept trying to force his way out when he was here because he realised we were nowhere near the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and barely competed in our own league. 

Tried to move to Arsenal and only got talked out of it by Gerrard. Then bit Chiellini to make sure Liverpool had enough of him. Also knocked probably another 25-30m off his transfer fee. 

• Upvote 2

He had a buy out clause already in place, so the Chiellini incident didn't make any difference to his price. The rest is all true.

I'd have him back, but it won't happen as we don't sign players of that age and the club probably feel they don't need him anyway as the front three is sound as it is.

Didn't realise he had a buyout clause. But I think that was the last straw anyway, especially after all the Evra stuff. I got fed up of the Barcelona antics in the press and their players blatantly tapping him up. It was worse with Mascherano though.

He was a great player no doubt but I feel all this stuff about him loving Liverpool forever is completely false.

• Upvote 5

Deffo, DT.

As you said, he tried to force a move to Arsenal FFS. Absolutely brilliant player and a lovable rogue, but he doesn't give two shits about LFC or the fans.

He was an amazing player while he was here. The best I've ever seen football wise and for 18 months I think he was the best player on the planet. This ship has sailed though and for the first time since he left, i would not like to see him back.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

I think he knows his time at Barca is comkng to am end and he is keeping his options open, I love him when he was here but for a player that says he has an affinity with the club why did he try and engineer a move pretty much every summer he was here.

Exactly.

An absolute force of nature as a footballer, but in TLW parlance, he has always supported Luis Suarez FC, not Liverpool FC.

• Upvote 3

He’s not stupid is he.  I’d still have him back though.  He’s fucking ridiculous and I think he would suit our current style (maybe last year more) better than Barca.

12 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

My favourite bit was when he refused to play for Liverpool and wanted a transfer to Arsenal. 

Did he refuse to play for us when he wanted to move to Arsenal?  I don’t remember that.

4 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Did he refuse to play for us when he wanted to move to Arsenal?  I don’t remember that.

Dunno, I've probably combined two separate events for dramatic purposes. 

I once met Suarez in Tesco. He didn't put his trolley away in the trolley shelter in the car park. F**king disgusting behaviour. Drove off in his massive car as his unaccompanied trolley rolled backwards through the car park, causing a minor annoyance for a couple of people. Perhaps a metaphor for his football career? 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Dunno, I've probably combined two separate events for dramatic purposes. 

I once met Suarez in Tesco. He didn't put his trolley away in the trolley shelter in the car park. F**king disgusting behaviour. Drove off in his massive car as his unaccompanied trolley rolled backwards through the car park, causing a minor annoyance for a couple of people. Perhaps a metaphor for his football career? 

I bet his trolley smashed into another trolley and fell then down clutching one of its wheels, before gingerly standing upright again and waving an imaginary yellow card at a member of staff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6