Quantcast
Venezuela - Page 17 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Sign in to follow this  
moof

Venezuela

37 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Corruption in politics?  It could never happen here.  

Ha! To be fair, we’re a bit more stealthy. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Ha! To be fair, we’re a bit more stealthy. 

indeed, but I suspect there's not much in it in terms of the proportion of wealth being siphoned off.  It's not limited to the families of rulers in this country any more.  

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

indeed, but I suspect there's not much in it in terms of the proportion of wealth being siphoned off.  It's not limited to the families of rulers in this country any more.  

From the government?? You must be kidding.

Give an example of a western politician whose personal wealth has grown by factors of hundreds of millions due to being involved in government.

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

From the government?? You must be kidding.

Give an example of a western politician whose personal wealth has grown by factors of hundreds of millions due to being involved in government.

show me a British senior politician who has not gone on to profit immensely from their career as a politician.  Nobody's personal wealth has grown by factors of hundreds of millions, but they all do very well from it.  Then there is the huge hinterland of beneficiaries - family members, friends, business associates, their children's schools and clubs, others with more obtuse links, who through direct or indirect patronage will benefit from their politician chum's decisions while in power.  That's what I mean, very few benefit to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds (although I'm sure some have) but corruption (or patronage as it is known here) is absolutely endemic.  And just as unpreventable as it is in any third world country. 

Demonstration outside the embassy in London yesterday, scores of Venezuelan ex-pats wielding signs saying "Communism is genocide" and the like.

Nobody with me getting my "Impressive commitment from the boy Hades to travel this far" line underscores the major problem with keeping friends outside of this place.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, SasaS said:

A bit of interesting insight into the opposition.

What do you think, how will this play out?

It can all be traced back to the same paedo ring in a pizza shop. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It can all be traced back to the same paedo ring in a pizza shop. 

Exactly. Would be good if they could just be content with eating some pizza without bringing in paedo rings and regime change wars.

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

A bit of interesting insight into the opposition.

What do you think, how will this play out?

I've no idea and don't really like trying to predict in situations like this. Am hoping the countries that favour dialogue and making some type of peaceful solution possible win out, but I don't think the opposition is bothered. The US that's aiding them isn't going to benefit by peace when they want to be in there and taking oil and so on.

Richard Branson is organizing a concert to raise funds for a humanitarian aid effort for crisis-stricken Venezuela to be held in the Colombian border city of Cucuta next week, the British billionaire said in a video on social media.

“Nicolas Maduro’s regime, which is responsible for this crisis, is currently refusing to allow any humanitarian aid into the country,” Branson said in the video.

“We must break this impasse or soon, many Venezuelans will be on the verge of starvation or death,” he said, adding the effort aimed to raise $100 million in 60 days.

The concert is scheduled for Feb. 22 and will feature a “wonderful line-up of regional and international artists,” Branson said, without providing details.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-concert/virgins-branson-plans-humanitarian-aid-concert-on-venezuela-border-idUSKCN1Q330W

Venezuela’s Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza :

“The U.S. has blocked our economy,” he said. “The cost of this blockade is over $30 billion — and they are sending this so-called humanitarian aid for $20 million. So what is this? I’m choking you, I’m killing you, and then I’m giving you a cookie? So that’s a show.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/the-latest-venezuela-leader-lambastes-trump-duque-meeting/2019/02/13/f136a18e-2fec-11e9-8781-763619f12cb4_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.104545c77413

Fuck off Branson. Maybe he can get up on stage and tell the audience how Abrams, US envoy to Venezuela shipped weapons to the Contras on humanitarian aid planes in the 1980's while he's at it. Might partly explain why the bridge they want opening is still closed.

• Upvote 1