You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Jan 19-20 2019)

tlw content

The battle for the two Champions League spots behind us and City is intensifying by the week. Spurs and Chelsea looked to have them locked up but for differing reasons both are stuttering and the door has been opened for Arsenal and United.

Chelsea were dogshit at the Emirates on Saturday. Really bad. Something just doesn’t look right there and it hasn’t done since the first couple of months of the season. It doesn’t seem that long ago that they one of three unbeaten teams and Sarri was getting widespread praise, but look at them now, trying to hold onto a top four spot. 

Arsenal were right at it and there were shades of their win over Spurs about this performance. They played with a high tempo and a desire we’re not used to seeing (their most distance covered since records began, apparently), but they clearly knew Chelsea were vulnerable and they took advantage of it.

Lacazette scored a great goal to put them ahead and they had several other chances before Koscielny shouldered one in to double their advantage. Flukey finish as he completely missed his header, but the defending from Chelsea was so bad you’d never believe they had an Italian manager.

Chelsea had loads of the ball after that but did nothing with it. I’ve got a Chelsea supporting mate and he’s been telling me for a while now that he actually gets bored watching them. It’s just passing for the sake of it and he hates it. It looks like the players do too, some more than others.

They aren’t buying in, you can tell by watching them. Sarri laid into them afterwards and said they are difficult to motivate. Every manager this group have had would no doubt agree. When they decide they can’t be arsed there’s really not much you can do. When they buy in, they win the league. When they decide they aren’t having it, they get managers sacked.

roundup1.jpg

Sarri is taking a big risk messing about with Hazard. He isn’t a centre forward and clearly hates playing there, and if you alienate him then you’ve got no chance. Insisting on playing Kante out of position as well is either brave or stupid. Either way, it’s likely to end with him back in Serie A before you can say “typical Chelsea”.

They play City soon and we really need them to get their shit together for that. My expectation is they'll lose 3-0 and won't even have a shot. Best to set the bar low to avoid disappointment. Arsenal play City soon too. I'm not holding out any hope for them either, although I expect them to make more of a game of it than Chelsea. Maybe 3-1 then.

This is just a teaser, click here to view full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Harvey Barnes sounds like a department store. Or book shop. Not a footballer, though. Harvey fucking Barnes.

What was that diabolical '80s Harvey programme with the less ugly of the repulsive Birds of a Feather?

*Edit: Just checked. Harvey Moon. And both repulsive Birds were in it...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Harvey Barnes sounds like a department store. Or book shop. Not a footballer, though. Harvey fucking Barnes.

What was that diabolical '80s Harvey programme with the less ugly of the repulsive Birds of a Feather?

*Edit: Just checked. Harvey Moon. And both repulsive Birds were in it...

He sounds like a Tory. Not quite as Tory as Patrick Bamford, but he's in the discussion.

• Upvote 1

I noticed on MotD how that hypocrite Shearer wasn't too bothered that Pogba went down with next to no contact to win a penalty. I guess it wasn't against his beloved Newcastle so he's not too bothered. He's been waiting for an opportunity to get after Mo since Boxing Day. Interestingly, neither Bong last weekend - nor Dummett on Boxing Day - complained about the decisions.

• dave u unpinned this topic