You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Only another 559 Travelodges to go

magicrat

One way of sorting out a pay dispute !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-46953987

A furious builder ploughed a digger through the doors of a new Travelodge hotel and repeatedly smashed into the building amid a pay dispute.

The driver mounted the steps of the Liverpool hotel and went on the rampage inside, sending debris flying as it crashed through the doors, reception desk and windows.

Footage shows a bystander banging on the side of the cab, but the driver ignores pleas to stop.

Merseyside Police is investigati

21 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Happens all the time, a bit extreme that like. That said I have seen some mads things when fellas on the building haven’t been paid. A lot of the time just from normal people who don’t pay.

That'd piss me off if I was a self employed tradesman, doing the work and then having to chase the money.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

That'd piss me off if I was a self employed tradesman, doing the work and then having to chase the money.

People do the right thing by not paying upfront, I will order for a job and they pay for the material COD, sometimes I will pay for the material if it’s a small job.

Never really happened to me, once it happened with an in law.

They didn’t want to pay fully for a job I did, I didn’t push it although I could have.

The fella in question was a joiner so knew the score, I just didn’t want to cause shit. A few months later I borrowed a really expensive drill and a few tools off him, soft sod must have knew what was coming as I told him he gets it back when he gives me the couple of hundred quid he owed. Got the money quite quickly.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Happens all the time, a bit extreme that like. That said I have seen some mads things when fellas on the building haven’t been paid. A lot of the time just from normal people who don’t pay.

Old mate of mine works for a company that advises people on planning matters, so he obviously deals with quite a few very wealthy people, and he says the richest are by far always the hardest to get money out of. 

He reckons his firm basically tipped some bloke off to some land, who then borrowed someone else's money to buy it, flipped it, and made £7mil pure profit on it in the space of a couple of months, and his company had to literally go to his house and knock on his front door for their 1,500 fee because he wasn't picking up the phone or responding to emails. 

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Old mate of mine works for a company that advises people on planning matters, so he obviously deals with quite a few very wealthy people, and he says the richest are by far always the hardest to get money out of. 

He reckons his firm basically tipped some bloke off to some land, who then borrowed someone else's money to buy it, flipped it, and made £7mil pure profit on it in the space of a couple of months, and his company had to literally go to his house and knock on his front door for their 1,500 fee because he wasn't picking up the phone or responding to emails. 

Much wants more.

• Upvote 1

This and the MAGA boys video should teach people a lesson to not jump to conclusions. 

The Chinese whispers on social media around it all is ridiculous. People blaming Travelodge when it's probably not even them who allegedly owe him wages. People jumping to conclusions that he needs the money and has a family to feed etc? For all we know, he might just be an angry hothead who's had to wait a day or two for money owing to him and it's been delayed for an unexpected reason. For all we know, he mightn't even be owed the money or might be due it on completion of a specfic job. 

If he hasn't been paid and the people who owe him are trying to be smart or pull a fast one, I can understand his frustration. But there are better, more sensible ways of going about it. 

I'm sure the facts will come out during any future trial as I can't see him not being prosecuted for what he's done. Criminal damage, or maybe even burglary. 

Should've just phoned ACAS! 

I would imagine the contractor owes the money not Travel Lodge.

Like i said an extreme reaction brought on by anger and stress probably. £600 while nothing to some would be maybe two weeks wages to him

He should not have done it whatever the reason. I have witnessed a lot over the years, poor conditions, poor pay etc. I haven’t worked on a site for years, I know things have changed for the better mostly.

• Upvote 1

It reminds me of that scene in The sopranos when they dump all the rubbish in the shop carpark. 

"It's written on all of our trucks, double your garbage back if you're not satisfied."

If they didn't pay him for work done, he's probably resoned he's entitled to take his work back.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It reminds me of that scene in The sopranos when they dump all the rubbish in the shop carpark. 

"It's written on all of our trucks, double your garbage back if you're not satisfied."

If they didn't pay him for work done, he's probably resoned he's entitled to take his work back.

He worked on groundwork as a labourer. I'm not sure the lobby and entrance were his work. We'll be sure to find out soon though as he's been "identified" and is currently "helping police with their enquiries." 

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Quite a lot of financially rich people are that way because of their ability to fuck people over. An old friend of mine whom I lost touch with quite a few years ago was working for a recruitment company and get another friend involved in hacking into their database to get all the details of their clients while he still worked there. He then set up his own recruitment company and contacted all the clients, offering them a slightly better deal than they were already getting. Signed up, of course. He became very wealthy as a result. The company he worked for oddly struggled for quite a while afterwards. Not even sure they survived it, to be honest. As I said I lost touch with him as I felt it was an act of cuntery. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens a lot.

10 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Quite a lot of financially rich people are that way because of their ability to fuck people over. An old friend of mine whom I lost touch with quite a few years ago was working for a recruitment company and get another friend involved in hacking into their database to get all the details of their clients while he still worked there. He then set up his own recruitment company and contacted all the clients, offering them a slightly better deal than they were already getting. Signed up, of course. He became very wealthy as a result. The company he worked for oddly struggled for quite a while afterwards. Not even sure they survived it, to be honest. As I said I lost touch with him as I felt it was an act of cuntery. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens a lot.

@Numero Veinticinco has tried shafting Dave Usher this way on a couple of occasions. Bold moves which ultimately failed but you’ve got to admire the brass neck on him. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I mean, I don’t mind spending some of his credit, but I’m not contributing to the £000s he’s racked up calling Babestation.

That wasn’t me. That was my uncle knobhead in his teens. He ran up a £200 phone bill ringing sex lines off the house phone. Worst part is the house phone was in the hall just outside the living room and his mum and his nan would have been sat just the other side of the wall. The dirty bastard.