You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester (H) 30/01/19

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh one more thing, any loose balls we always seemed to be second too. Oh and our corners are so fucking shite especially considering we have huge CB's. 

Second to everything. And our passing went to shit.

On a positive note, Fabinho made a difference when he came on, Trent and Millie will be back soon and Gomez not long after.

Also, thermal undies are the greatest invention ever.

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

I get that, but i think that this team has showed enough so far this season to show it can handle the pressure. We are 5 points clear, losing only 1 game. 

Tonight wasnt great but i think its a bit early to say thats down to pressure. Its just a bad night at this stage.

I hope you’re right.

We’re 5 points behind city with 14 games left

or

we’re 5 clear with 14 to go having just drawn a home game on a pitch and in conditions that were at complete odds with how we play.

oh and our usual stubbornness in defence has suffered cos our first choice RCB and RB are injured. Would have preferred 3 points but the main thing was we didn’t lose, job done move on!

9 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's January, you fanny.

I really want to feel for him since he’s openly suicidal and has threatened to top himself a number of times, but I’m really scratching my head as to what he gets from all of this. Forget the result tonight, we’re in a good space... if you can’t get any joy from it at all, then what’s the point? I’d genuinely swerve the forum and football altogether if I was him. 

Apart from the first 5-10 minutes where we pinned Leicester back, the best (and most charitable way) to describe our performance is "sluggish".

Bar Mane, everybody else struggled to get out of second or third gear. Alisson's poor couple of clearances set the tone really. At times, the movement up front was extremely static which is infuriating because, whenever we upped the tempo even slightly, we started making inroads of a sort. It just didn't happen as often as we needed it to, thanks to a combination of lack of movement or simply poor decision making. Maybe I'm being harsh on Henderson because he looked more positive in an unfamiliar right back role than he often does at the heart of midfield.

Two of our 3 substitutions had no positive impact on our play. Fabinho made Leicester go long (although they'd subbed off their attacking runners Maddison and Gray too) and his presence tightened us up in the middle, but Lallana never looked to find space to contribute anything worthwhile, and Sturridge made a right hash of things whenever he got the ball.

We could have had a penalty when Keita was clipped in the box following some neat inter-play with Salah, but I guess at first glance it looked like he got a shot away at the same time. It was a swinger with his wrong foot anyway. It was his second touch that needed to be a shot, but instead he tried to carry it further and left it too late to get a meaningful effort in.

We were fortunate that Maddison and Gray chose the wrong options when well placed, heading wide from six yards (Maddison) and not squaring to an unmarking teammate in acres and instead firing tamely at goal (Gray). We didn't give Vardy a sniff of a chance though, so there is that.

Leicester's goal came at a really bad time for us (not that there is ever a good time to concede) because it left everyone to stew nervously for 15 minutes. It was exactly the sort of goal in exactly the sort of game we used to have at Anfield against teams managed by Steve Bruce.

The linesmen struggled with the game aswell. Leicester should have been flagged offside before Alisson stopped Firmino from putting in into his own net, and thankfully the ball stayed out anyway. Mane was later flagged offside from a Salah cross when it wasn't even close. Poor officiating.

We've extended our lead to 5 points but missed an opportunity to go 7 clear once more. It's still only January so there's much football to play still, but a 7-point cushion is basically 3 games where City need us to fall away while at the same time gaining maximum points themselves. As it stands, they need 2 games to go their way. This is one reason why I hate fixtures being played on different days, where one team has 24 hours of nervous tension before they play, knowing what went on before. TV money dictates that we'll never see games at the top end being played simultaneously, and is just one of the things I hate about modern football.

Still, I'd rather be contesting for the title no matter what stage of the season we are at.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I really want to feel for him since he’s openly suicidal and has threatened to top himself a number of times, but I’m really scratching my head as to what he gets from all of this. Forget the result tonight, we’re in a good space... if you can’t get any joy from it at all, then what’s the point? 

Pm’d

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

Apart from the first 5-10 minutes where we pinned Leicester back, the best (and most charitable way) to describe our performance is "sluggish".

Bar Mane, everybody else struggled to get out of second or third gear. Alisson's poor couple of clearances set the tone really. At times, the movement up front was extremely static which is infuriating because, whenever we upped the tempo even slightly, we started making inroads of a sort. It just didn't happen as often as we needed it to, thanks to a combination of lack of movement or simply poor decision making. Maybe I'm being harsh on Henderson because he looked more positive in an unfamiliar right back role than he often does at the heart of midfield.

Two of our 3 substitutions had no positive impact on our play. Fabinho made Leicester go long (although they'd subbed off their attacking runners Maddison and Gray too) and his presence tightened us up in the middle, but Lallana never looked to find space to contribute anything worthwhile, and Sturridge made a right hash of things whenever he got the ball.

We could have had a penalty when Keita was clipped in the box following some neat inter-play with Salah, but I guess at first glance it looked like he got a shot away at the same time. It was a swinger with his wrong foot anyway. It was his second touch that needed to be a shot, but instead he tried to carry it further and left it too late to get a meaningful effort in.

We were fortunate that Maddison and Gray chose the wrong options when well placed, heading wide from six yards (Maddison) and not squaring to an unmarking teammate in acres and instead firing tamely at goal (Gray). We didn't give Vardy a sniff of a chance though, so there is that.

Leicester's goal came at a really bad time for us (not that there is ever a good time to concede) because it left everyone to stew nervously for 15 minutes. It was exactly the sort of goal in exactly the sort of game we used to have at Anfield against teams managed by Steve Bruce.

The linesmen struggled with the game aswell. Leicester should have been flagged offside before Alisson stopped Firmino from putting in into his own net, and thankfully the ball stayed out anyway. Mane was later flagged offside from a Salah cross when it wasn't even close. Poor officiating.

We've extended our lead to 5 points but missed an opportunity to go 7 clear once more. It's still only January so there's much football to play still, but a 7-point cushion is basically 3 games where City need us to fall away while at the same time gaining maximum points themselves. As it stands, they need 2 games to go their way. This is one reason why I hate fixtures being played on different days, where one team has 24 hours of nervous tension before they play, knowing what went on before. TV money dictates that we'll never see games at the top end being played simultaneously, and is just one of the things I hate about modern football.

Still, I'd rather be contesting for the title no matter what stage of the season we are at.

We could’ve easily lost the game, which is the worst thing about it. We had three very good opportunities early in the first half and a clear penalty shout in the second half. I feel we really should’ve done more after half time. 

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

weirdo. 

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

We'll probably not play at same time as them now i'll bet until the final day.

17 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Another boring boring non Liverpool supporting sad wum. Tedioso.

Been a red all my life, I just didn't drink the Kool Aid!

This result has been coming, got away with it against Brighton and Palace, 3rd time unlucky!

We're nothing when our best players are off form, and when we have so many passengers. How badly did we get mugged off for Keita? If it wasn't for the likes of Markovic he'd be our worst ever signing pound for pound!

I fully expect us to fall away badly in the next few weeks, City won't give us a chance like that again! And with Spurs sneaking a win they'll be ahead of us by the time they're back to full strength!

• Downvote 1

I see the hysterical fannies are out in force again.

We've just tacked on another point on our lead. In a game where we didnt play well.

And another thing ..... if the support is going to be like that at home games for the run in we are in trouble. Might be better playing 13 away from home. Fucking get behind the lads.

• Upvote 3

Just now, aRdja said:

We could’ve easily lost the game, which is the worst thing about it. We had three very good opportunities early in the first half and a clear penalty shout in the second half. I feel we really should’ve done more after half time. 

The 2nd half performance is worrying.

We just lacked any belief - seemed passive, panicked and nervy......nobody seemed able to grab game and fire us up - crowd were so anxious too, i feel it transmits to players - the 12th man needs to be the 12th man in scenarios like tonight...but more importantly the 11 on the park need to show more desire, composure and bottle than they did tonight.

What was the deal with the pitch anyway? They've had all day to clear it, Klopp clearly wasn't happy with it, and then we were treated to the 15 minute shuffle around the box trying to clear the Kop end.

Thought it was an away game when I first turned the TV on, couldn't believe it. 

17 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

the simple fact is we’re not proven winners.

The simple fact is we've got 61 points out of 24 games and anyone saying "Why can't we be more like Utd. in the 90s/00s in these moments" or comments of that ilk is talking absolute dribble because United have never in their entire HISTORY had this many points after this many games.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

We'll probably not play at same time as them now i'll bet until the final day.

I couldnt care less ..... id hazard a guess that klopp does'nt either.  We will drop points and so will City on the run in. Citys fixture backlog will be very key in this race