You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester (H) 30/01/19

Bjornebye

35 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's January, you fanny.

This. 

We've gained a point on the mancs. We'd have snapped anyone's hand off for that. We've got to lose 2 and they have to drop no points for us to lose this. Still in a really strong position.

Also I'm still laughing at Chelsea. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Have the team placed second ever had 56 points after 24 games?

We’re having a great season by every numeric measure. But we’ve been waiting 28 years for number 19. We’re most likely gonna finish first or second this season, and how many points we have after 24 games, or 38 games for that matter isn’t gonna matter much.

First is first, second is nothing.

Its called context  though isnt it.. This side has accumalated more points after 24 games than any Liverpool side in history.

After 24 games in rodgers title run 47 points

After 24 games in rafas title run 51 points

After 24 games in klopps title run 61 points

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, an tha said:

For me tonight was pivotal mainly because of the upcoming fixtures.

We have to play after them both next and could see them both easily within touching distance when we do play away at a tricky place to go.

City then have what i think is a massive advantage playing a brought forward game v a dogshite Everton and we after Bournemouth have to play our catch up game away at the mancs.

A cushion of 7 would have really helped going into this run and reversed some of the pressure of playing after them...and we play after them throughout March which could be awkward again.

For me this is a very sticky period we are entering...we'll know more come end of Feb of course - but feels to me right now like we really missed a chance tonight and I am not sure we'll get another one like it soon.

I might feel different tomorrow and maybe i am letting my emotions get the better of me, but this just hurts tonight and most worryingly i saw players tonight look like what they are in many cases - young men who have not really experienced winning things and who looked panicked and exposed when an opportunity to make a huge stride towards doing so was in front of them.....fear they will get worse as stakes get higher.

An opportunity missed, yes.

But a tight 1-1 draw is not a choke.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He was OK. He wasn't immense at all. No-one was apart from the Ref for them. 

He showed up the whole game. Winning 2nd balls. Looking to get on the ball. Love the player. Not his fault those around him don't show the same bravery

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BCM said:

Its called context  though isnt it.. This side has accumalated more points after 24 games than any Liverpool side in history.

Yes, at this stage I've decided to appreciate what the team has done and is doing this season.

The "invincible" Man City has lost 4 times, and we've lost once.

We fully deserve a 5-point cushion.

It was a good, tight 1-1 draw... a far cry, for example, from 0-3 to 3-3 against Palace.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BCM said:

Which is a fantastic achievement. But this is the match thread and for me, in thonights match, we missed a golden opportunity to go 7 points clear.

Whether or not we finish ahead of City, and win the league, is all that matters now.

Not how many points we get compared to the Rodgers team.

Being winners without winning is not an option for Liverpool FC.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Have the team placed second ever had 56 points after 24 games?

What's that got to do with us?

The team is putting up a heroic season statistically and, as I stated I was scared of at the start of this thread, anyone coming out of the woodwork during one of the greatest seasons played by a club in the Premier League to-date to trot out those fucking boring "we're just not winners" clichés & other similar statements totally devoid of context any time we drop a single point (which, if I didn't mention it, we do historically rarely) is utterly inane.

The biggest concern is getting Gomez back in at centre back and a functional right back into the team. Their replacements - if not awful individually - throw the whole shape of the team out of kilter. Also prefer seeing Mo out wide and Bobby centrally but eh - when Mo's scoring like he is I guess it's hard to complain.

7 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

What's that got to do with us?

The team is putting up a heroic season statistically and, as I stated I was scared of at the start of this thread, anyone coming out of the woodwork during one of the greatest seasons played by a club in the Premier League to-date to trot out those fucking boring "we're just not winners" clichés & other similar statements totally devoid of context any time we drop a single point (which, if I didn't mention it, we do historically rarely) is utterly inane.

The biggest concern is getting Gomez back in at centre back and a functional right back into the team. Their replacements - if not awful individually - throw the whole shape of the team out of kilter.

How many points City have got is extremely relevant if you want to win the league.

The quality and performances of this Klopp team is absolutely marvellous. In many ways maybe more impressive than previous title winning teams.

But we have a shot at winning it now. To do that we need to keep City behind us. Tonight was a missed opportunity more than a point gained, and I’m bitterly disappointed about that.

Doesnt mean I’m not extremely happy about the progress we’re making.

It is mad isn't it - the relentless pace of us and City and Spurs for that matter is distorting everything and i think fear that they won't stop is a big factor in how people are thinking (I absolutely include myself in that)

Fact is teams don't usually need 95-100 pts to win title in fact for example since 2000 any team who has got 90 pts or more has won league by an average of 11 pts!

Teams who win leagues don't win every week - teams drop pts in draws and lose games...but any dropped pts (especially when dropped with the opportunity we had tonight) can be seen as a disaster in terms of this race, because the ask is likely to be so high in terms of pts needed.

We think because of how good City are that they will soon go on a 10 game winning run, and we know they can because of what they did last season.

I suppose we need to stop looking at that and realise that they haven't been on a run like that and even if they do go on one all we can do is win as many as we can.

It's fucking murder isn't it this - and there is still 3 months odd of it come - in all it's excruciating madness.

I still think 95 pts is the magic number - 34 from 42 for us - pissed off it isn't 32 from 42 but there you go.

Come on you mighty redmen.

This weekend coming is crucial. West Ham as bad as they played last night are a tricky beast. I feel we will drop points at the toilet so we have to win all the other games in the next few weeks. 

The worry I would have is that the players can't be tired after the break they have had. Having said that, we badly missed our usual defence today and it was a real shame Fabinho didn't start. My concern is that the tension in the stadium is getting to them. It will only get more tense as the season goes on so that's something they need to control.

Worst case scenario for us city get 98 points. 38 points to go then.

First half Alisson was being ridiculous. Could have really cost us but he adjusted well after.

Thought Mane was unplayable. As good he's ever been.

Rare mental mistake from Robertson which fucked us. Just the worst time to concede.

Leicester, along with Palace are the only teams in the league this year who matched us at Anfield. Thought they were good in every department. 

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

This weekend coming is crucial. West Ham as bad as they played last night are a tricky beast. I feel we will drop points at the toilet so we have to win all the other games in the next few weeks. 

The worry I would have is that the players can't be tired after the break they have had. Having said that, we badly missed our usual defence today and it was a real shame Fabinho didn't start. My concern is that the tension in the stadium is getting to them. It will only get more tense as the season goes on so that's something they need to control.

Worst case scenario for us city get 98 points. 38 points to go then.

Midfield was a bit thin as well; Fabinho and Lallana not fit enough to start, Ox still out, Millie suspended and Henderson shifted to defence.

It's not ideal.