You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Babel: I didn't fulfil my potential at Liverpool

tlw content

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I wish I would have spent my hours in the mid 2000’s faking watching the Eredivisie but I was too busy faking watching the French and Brazilian leagues so I could be the first to tell everyone we’d signed the next Henry and South American wonderkid.  Opportunity clearly missed there.

In reality I couldn’t give a shite what Babel did in his inferior bum league before he came here.  It took anyone with a pair of eyes to see the lad was very good at running at people with ball but was running into traffic playing on the left and cutting in and giving us nothing there.  Generally the odd time he played on the right worked as he ended up crossing and creating chances.  If he had played there more often in 08/09 we wouldn’t have finished with no trophies like we did for the 10 odd years Kuyt and that other crab in midfield were here.

I'd rather fake watching obscure European leagues than fake knowing anything about football by writing essays full of drivel. It's a lot less work. 

I think The Guest has point in terms of technical ability,but a good attitude is just as important and Kuyt has so much more of that than Babel ever has. I do think that signing for somebody like Benitez was completely the worst move for Babel's overall career (not financially of course) as he demanded much more than Babel was ever going to give.

I remember him beautifully dropping his shoulder for a goal, against Leicester at Anfield I think it was.

And I also recall his lavishly/imperiously (or at least I thought that at the time) waltzing past the Arsenal defence and winning a penalty in the CL quarter final.  I think he might have gone on to score himself that night at the end too.

• 4 years later...