You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: No plans for Coutinho return

tlw content

Jurgen Klopp has poured cold water on any suggestions that Philippe Coutinho may be returning to play for the club.

There has been a deal of speculation in the January transfer window that the Brazilian is growing increasingly frustrated over his lack of regular game time at Barcelona and possibly looking for a return to the Premier League.

Naturally, Liverpool was linked along with Man United, but Klopp says that any reunion is certainly not something he has given any thought to.

The Liverpool Echo reported Klopp as saying:

" That is something I don't want to talk about. I would not say it is a potential transfer or a likely one.

" Nothing to say and whatever I would say would open more stories and there is no story.

" Phil is at Barcelona and as I know he fits really well and everything is fine."

The 26 year-old has started in all of Barcelona's Champions League games this season, but in the league it has been a different story where he has only started in 10 games and a substitute in seven others.

Coutinho's average minutes played in La Liga this season is 65, compared to 77 in the Champions League and domestic cup competitions combined.

Philippe-Coutinho-682140.jpg

Coutinho has four league goals during this campaign, but his last one came at the end of October when he opened the scoring in a 5-1 rout against fierce rivals Real Madrid. 

The attacking midfielder certainly had his heart set on moving to the Catalan giants and while it would be unfair to call it a complete failure at this point, he must be wondering whether if it was the best move in terms of his own career.

A penny for his thoughts also regarding the progression of Liverpool since his departure.

The uproar that surrounded selling arguably Liverpool's most precious of diamonds in the middle of a season seems like a distant memory, yet it was just over a year ago.

Having a manager with unshakable belief in his own methods and full faith in his squad is essential in those difficult times.

It's what the club lacked during the Luis Suarez transfer saga, and the proof was in the pudding.

In the Klopp tenure,  the Coutinho departure is another example that a strong team ethic will always triumph over a individual.

The German is someone who places loyalty at the forefront of his values.

He will back in his players no matter what anyone says, but it you don't want to be a part of in any way, the trust is lost.

Reading between the lines in this case, don't bet on Philippe returning to play for the club anytime soon.

View full article

10 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Does anybody know if more appearances mean Barca need to pay us more for him? 

Might explain why he's not been playing. 

There were addons included and I suspect that appearances would play a part in that, if it were based on the first twelve months that would definitely influence it. If I were over the whole contract, it would be surprising if it were a factor. 

The little shit downed tools and tried to make the environment at the club toxic. He's made his bed so I hope he is enjoying it. If he was to return to us and get back to his best there is nothing to say he wouldn't kick up a stink again when another club starts sniffing around him and it starts all over again. 

I knew he'd  flop at Barca as he wasn't anywhere near good enough to start for them week in week out. Klopp was building the team around Phil where he's just another squad player at Barca. 

Thanks for the £142m. 

• Upvote 4

Well we managed to get there just fine without him, the assault on Mo is what cost us that game, and as mentioned above having Charlie Carrolli in goal and in any event maybe we missed Chamberlain more the form he was in. We’ve gone from strength to strength this season and are a much better side than when he was here so I don’t think it’s bollocks to say we haven’t missed him. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Well we managed to get there just fine without him, the assault on Mo is what cost us that game, simple as and in any event maybe we missed Chamberlain more the form he was in. We’ve gone from strength to strength this season and are a much better side than when he was here so I don’t think it’s bollocks at all.

Klopp has done an amazing job, and I agree Coutinho isn't necessarily a natural fit for a Klopp team.

However to claim we didn't miss him was absolute horseshit as the final shows. 

38 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We are a better team with Alisson and Van Dijk agreed -- to say we are better without him in that sense yes, do not agree that he would not be an asset to us now.

The lad is a world class player - those come in handy.

Yeah, I mean of course we’d be better with him now. He’s a very good player. But I’d never swap the players we got for him. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Klopp has done an amazing job, and I agree Coutinho isn't necessarily a natural fit for a Klopp team.

However to claim we didn't miss him was absolute horseshit as the final shows. 

the final was precisely the sort of game he would go missing in.

Just now, stringvest said:

Conflating the two are we now, man-child?  How's the legal profession going?  

Seriously, it's great to see you're still posting Martin.

No conflation to see here.

If you're going to spend time writing crap about Coutinho in a game he didn't play in, better make sure the player you big up all the time had a decent game himself, eh?  Oh wait, he contributed nothing and made us far worse. 

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

No conflation to see here.

If you're going to spend time writing crap about Coutinho in a game he didn't play in, better make sure the player you big up all the time had a decent game himself, eh?  Oh wait, he contributed nothing and made us far worse. 

Watching Lallana is my nirvana.  That's just how it is.

• Upvote 1