You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who was your best and worst transfer call?

Boss

Was certain Suso would be an absolutely top player for us, remember watching him in underage games for Spain and for us and he'd be so far ahead of every player on the pitch it was insane, such a technically gifted player I just couldn't see how he wouldn't cut it here. Has subsequently forged a decent career in Italy but I expected so much more.

• Upvote 1

Naby is in danger of being my worst, if only for the fact I had not even the tiniest shred of doubt that he was going to not only be a good signing, but that he'd be a transformational one. I honestly thought we were looking at potentially the best midfield player in the world and I had mates who bet on him being Player of the Year before he'd even kicked a ball.

I still think he'll come good, but he's never going to live up to the (unfair and unrealistic) expectations I and many others had for him.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Naby is in danger of being my worst, if only for the fact I had not even the tiniest shred of doubt that he was going to not only be a good signing, but that he'd be a transformational one. I honestly thought we were looking at potentially the best midfield player in the world and I had mates who bet on him being Player of the Year before he'd even kicked a ball.

I still think he'll come good, but he's never going to live up to the (unfair and unrealistic) expectations I and many others had for him.

Saw something on Twitter earlier. He has only played in his favoured attacking midfield position once and that was against Burnley where he was man of the match. I don't think a few yards and a more attacking instructions massively change how he is performing though. He just needs the game time. I wanted him to play a full 90 at the weekend until half-time when I wanted him hooked. 

I'd start him again against Leicester. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Guilty

don't know about best or worse call and has been said before, but the one that pisses me off the most recently was our previous genius choosing Allen over Eriksen at higher cost. which more or less summed up the man. no hindsight here either

one a 100 million pound player taking the piss every week, the other currently plying his trade in the Championship

• Upvote 4

If memory serves Eriksen signed for Spurs for 9m in 2014. The same summer we splurged 107m on seven or eight players including Lallana, Markovic and Balotelli. 

It really was unforgivable that we didn't take a punt on Eriksen at 9m. We were linked with him for years before that. The risk with spending 20m on Markovic was substantially higher. Would love to know how close we came, or didn't, to putting an offer in. 

15 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

If memory serves Eriksen signed for Spurs for 9m in 2014. The same summer we splurged 107m on seven or eight players including Lallana, Markovic and Balotelli. 

It really was unforgivable that we didn't take a punt on Eriksen at 9m. We were linked with him for years before that. The risk with spending 20m on Markovic was substantially higher. Would love to know how close we came, or didn't, to putting an offer in. 

It was the previous summer, but I guess the point may still stand. We signed Mignolet, Aspas, Ilori, Cyssoko, Moses, Sakho, Luis Alberto and Kolo that summer. Still somehow managed to just miss out on the title.

Best - I was absolutely adamant that all of Balotelli, Kewell and Cole were fair weather players who would be poor signings. I was also made up that we signed Milner when many weren't.

Worst - There's a few. I was excited by the prospect of Andy Carroll which was bad but I have two horrendously bad joint worst. A few months in I recall saying that I thought Bobby Firmino would go on to be our worst pound-for pound signing to that point. He did start slowly but was mainly mis-used to that point.

Also, on my 21st birthday weekend Salif Diao scored the winner at Elland Road and I optimistically got a shirt with 21 Diao on it that I was soon too embarrassed to wear. In my defence I'd barely seen him play and had he not been number 21 that probably wouldn't have happened.

• Upvote 1

Best: Van Dijk. Still can't believe we've got him. 

Worst: A load of examples of highly-rated overseas youngsters in the academy who I, after a few decent performances for the ressies, confidently predicted was going to be the next big thing. Nemeth springs to mind. I was convinced he was going to light up the Premier League with a shedload of goals. The one exception to this rule was Jordy Brouwer who, after one look, was clearly completely shit. 

Big-money wise, I thought Kirkland was going to be our keeper for the next 15 years. Thank fuck he wasn't. I also thought Moreno for 12m was daylight robbery, particularly after the Spurs game. 

• Upvote 1

Best - Salah. Thought he was really good at Basel, even when he barely played at Chelsea I thought he was hard done to.

Hyppia. I think in one of his first games we played Leeds away and he looked calm on the ball and won every aerial duel. Prior to him there was no real presence in central defence. Even before he played he looked like the unit we'd been missing. 

Thought Gerrard looked good at right back when he first came into the team and thought he was a great athlete who took more responsibility than most of the senior players even though he was young.

Worst - Markovic. For the reasons Skend04 has outlined. Also thought Sakho would be good but he always looked like he was playing whilst desperate for a shit. 

Players we never bought who I thought would be good were Yann Mvila but he ended up shit even though he was boss for France in a few games I saw. Also Talisca who was hyped up by the Portuguese media and looked boss when I went to see one of their games.

• Upvote 2