You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who was your best and worst transfer call?

Boss

Worst for me was Phil Babb. Looked sensational in the 94 World Cup. Was genuinely buzzing when he signed, I can still remember the headline in the Daily Mirror, “Absolutely Babbulous”. The best thing he ever did for us though was smash his nuts in against the Anny Road post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Worst - spending a whole summer banging on about Sinama Pongolle and Le Tallec (despite never having seen them play) I believed their signing was a master stroke.

Best - Robertson. I also called Azpilecuta when he was at Marseille. He would have been a great signing.

5 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Worst for me was Phil Babb. Looked sensational in the 94 World Cup. Was genuinely buzzing when he signed, I can still remember the headline in the Daily Mirror, “Absolutely Babbulous”. The best thing he ever did for us though was smash his nuts in against the Anny Road post.

Seconded, turned out he was only good with Paul McGrath next to him making him a better player. Should have been called Beelzebabb.

I don't think I've ever called a good one!

23 minutes ago, Jenson said:

2 things. We wouldn't have one of our best posters without him bursting his nad. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, General Dryness said:

I signed Alisson for us on FM before we were linked to him. Sold Belgian Flappy Hands to Zenit for 4.5m. Result.

Similarly, I signed Keita a couple of years back in FIFA and then Fabinho in 18, both before we were linked. 

Worst - Yossi Fucking Bennayoun (Fuck Off). I thought he'd be absolute dog shit and, whilst not world-class, was a pretty good success for us. Way better than i imagined.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:13 PM, Creator Supreme said:

Seconded, turned out he was only good with Paul McGrath next to him making him a better player. Should have been called Beelzebabb.

I don't think I've ever called a good one!

You could put mr blobby beside paul mcgrath and he'd look alright. Did think babb would be class though. What a disappointment!

On 1/19/2019 at 1:07 PM, Em City said:

Best: I desperately wanted us to sign both Shaqiri and Salah when they were at Basel. We took our time.

Worst: Morientes.

Snap on on Shaquiri and Salah at Basel but as disappointing as Morientes was he couldn't hold a candle filled with nuclear grade A toxic shit to the disinterested shitehawk Phil Babb turned out to be. I was absolutely delighted when we signed him and thought he would be our Des Walker for the next decade. We would have got better value signing Annie Walker, and I think she had already been deceased for several years at that stage.

• Upvote 1

I'm not having Morientes as a bad call.

It didn't work out for him, here at all. That's true. However, he was a world class striker with a record of scoring goals in a great league at a big club, as well as in the European cup and Internationally. He also had physical attributes that ideally suit the English league.

Sometimes the planet's don't quite align, but that doesn't make it a bad call, in my view. 

Thought Torres was a mulleted, preening show pony with little end product when playing for Spain shortly before he signed. 

Also thought Gary Mac was an ageing, average player who'd never stood out enough at a crap club to deserve to come to us. 

Was very keen on Salah both times though, not sure if I can say it was my call, hadn't seen him play, just a gut feeling. 

Thought Klopp may be a rash decision mid season and we should not move for him.

Thought Lee Trundle had it.

I want fucking badly, for both of them if am honest.

Oh, "and no way will one defender sort our shit out, fact" Me on VVD.  I get reminded regularly about that one. The word 'Fact' gets shouted at me at games. The cunts. 

Best: not a resounding success but I did predict we would sign Albert Riera before our interest in him became public.  Best prediction that a signing would be an absolute flop - Joe Cole.  I had that phoney shitbag clocked from the start.  My argument was that he was old, slow and shit with his best days behind him.  Soon after he signed, it became apparent that he was old, slow and shit with his best days behind him.  

Worst:  Speedy G, Benteke, Balotelli, Carroll, Charles Adam... take your pick.  I'm generally positive about our signings, so the list is long.  

Best:

On 6/4/2017 at 6:55 PM, Red House said:

He is. Alderweireld is probably his main challenger for that title, and Van Dijk has been even more impressive for Southampton than he had. In fact, I've seen quite a few Southampton fans say he's the best centre-back in their club's history. 

Van Dijk is definitely among the 10 best centre-backs in the world atm. He's brilliant in one-on-ones, excellent at bringing the ball out of defence, is a beast in the air, gets his fair share of goals and is ridiculously quick as we saw against Mane last year. The guy basically basically has no weakness in his game. He's properly world-class, the only reason some may not consider him as such is because he only plays for Southampton. I might be in the minority here, but Van Dijk is easily worth 50-60 million in the current market without a fucking shadow of a doubt in my mind. 

Pep needs to do the sane thing and go chase after the likes of Laporte,  Lucas Hernandez or Lindelof instead.

Worst:

On 6/29/2017 at 2:07 PM, Red House said:

Sounds like we are back in for Andrew fucking Robertson.

• Upvote 5