You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Robbo did not hesitate in signing new contact

tlw content

Jurgen Klopp has expressed his absolute delight over the re-signing of left-back Andy Robertson on a five year deal.

There was some speculation during the festive period that a new deal for Robertson was in the works, but there was no official news  until yesterday when it was confirmed by the club.

It continues a fine pattern of re-signings made the club in recent months which include Joe Gomez Sadio Mane, Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino.

The Scottish defender had to bide his time for a opportunity in the starting line-up after signing from Hull for the bargain fee of £8 million in the summer of 2017.

After a untimely injury to the incumbent in Alberto Moreno, Robertson took his chance with both hands and it is fair to say that he has been a revelation ever since.

Robertson has been exceptional in a defensive and attacking sense, there is another impressive side to the 24 year-old.

While some players believe their footballing talents alone are enough to have a impact at a club, Robertson is cut from a different cloth

It is the overall personality of the Scottish captain which has won the admiration of his teammates and fans alike.

After having to do the hard yards in the early part of his career, it is clear that he is loving every second of his current situation.

You can see that it means a hell of a lot to Robertson that he is playing for Liverpool Football club.

And as a fan, you cannot ask for more than that.

robertson2_600.jpg

Speaking to the Official site, manager Jurgen Klopp expressed his delight that his left-back has signed on for the long term.

" I think of all the contract renewals I have been involved with, this one was done in almost record time.

"It’s fair to say Robbo didn’t hesitate for even a second when we spoke about extending his stay at our club for longer.

“I remember when we signed him back in the summer of 2017, I spoke a lot about ‘his story, his journey’ and how much I loved it and thought it pointed to the type of person and player he would be for us. 

"He might be from Glasgow originally, but everything about him screams Liverpool."

Klopp alluded to the difficult start that Robertson made to his Liverpool career, and the patience which he displayed when waiting for his opportunity was to his great credit.

"It has been fantastic to see him grow, develop and improve. It was not the easiest of starts for him maybe, because we are blessed with another fantastic left-back in Alberto Moreno. 

"He had to be patient - he had to be ready when his chance came and his progression since is an example to any player joining us."

Klopp also discussed some underrated qualities that Robertson has.

“Everyone knows about his personality, on and off the pitch, but maybe we are guilty at times of overlooking his quality. 

"Ask those who play against him - be it matchday or training - and they speak about his technical and tactical qualities, just as much as his character and heart."

While it is a bit too soon to give Robbo 'icon status' if he continues on his current path for the next few seasons, it is certainly not out of the question.

robertsonheader2.jpg

View full article

40 minutes ago, suzy said:

I’m really can’t understand how Klopp can say Moreno is ‘fantastic ‘!

You can't really expect Klopp to say "I can't think why I held Robbo back so long 'cos Moreno is fucking shit !".

He doesn't put players down, he gets the improvement out of them by doing the opposite.

Moreno never really improved that much because he's  a bit of a thick fucker !

18 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

You can't really expect Klopp to say "I can't think why I held Robbo back so long 'cos Moreno is fucking shit !".

He doesn't put players down, he gets the improvement out of them by doing the opposite.

Moreno never really improved that much because he's  a bit of a thick fucker !

I know and that’s why Klopp is loved by his players I just think ‘fantastic’ was a bit excessive.

6 hours ago, suzy said:

I’m really can’t understand how Klopp can say Moreno is ‘fantastic ‘!

Moreno's a talented player in many ways. He just has no sense of positioning and defensive instincts (which is a problem obviously). He's probably great in training but Robertson is just a better player.