You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Remmie

The proper way to tie your shoelaces  

18 members have voted

1. 1. The proper way to tie your shoelaces is...

• Single knot
    • Double knot

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Great question. I usually go for the safety of the double knot to ensure there is no possibility they get untied.

Also, 'sup Remmie's wife. 

She's only viewing this provided I am proved the comprehensive victor. 

My uncle was in the army and he told me that German soldiers used to lace their boots criss-cross.  British soldiers were told to tie their boots looped.  This is because in certain areas of war, like jungles at night and suchlike, Gurkhas could sneak up on a patrol, and to confirm their nationality would surreptitiously feel the laces of the nearest soldier.  If they were criss-crossed, they would cut your throat.

Having been on various maneuvers with Gurkhas in later training, he confirmed they are incredible soldiers and can "hide" in a field with no cover.

• Upvote 2

The standard lace tying knot is one of those fuckers with a mirror image. Tied one way a single knot will come undone but not when tied the other way.

Do the left over right (or right over left) and pull it tight. Make a loop in one of them.

Then pass the other lace from the back over the top and pull the loop through. The loops lie to the left and right. It doesn't come undone.

Pass the lace from the front, under and pull the loop through. The loops lie up and down and it will come undone.