You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Best A Man Can Be

Lario

2 minutes ago, Skaro said:

Being a person of authenticity as I suspect you are, Babb, you may think differently if you saw it from the inside like I do... where faux morality is pedalled from the cloistered environment of urban elitism and, yes, often viewed through the prism of a champagne flute and other recreational refreshments. If only the high-fiving were an honest admission of solipsism/narcissism/opportunism/careerism, I'd be OK with it... it's the self-deception that we are genuinely and only doing it for the benefit of the less fortunate/oppressed that I find cloying.  Still, it's a living.

That's fair enough. I'm sure I'd find it dispiriting rubbing shoulders with such people, but from the outside I can only really witness the end product. Ultimately, if it's depicting a message I agree with,  then I'm happy to overlook who created it and why.

Do you work in advertising? My father always mooted it as a possible career for me, as he said I was full of shit. No offence intended.

7 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Do you work in advertising? My father always mooted it as a possible career for me, as he said I was full of shit. No offence intended.

34 years a copywriter, next Monday.

And your Dad was spot on.

About advertising, not you.

But I'm sure you'd have been great at it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

What happened to 'The Best a Man Can Get?' Some ad agency has changed one word and are probably high fiving each other all the way to the bank.

Has a double effect. Fits the corporate message they are trying to portray and the tagine is slightly different it stays in your mind for longer. 

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What happened to 'The Best a Man Can Get?' Some ad agency has changed one word and are probably high fiving each other all the way to the bank.

I think you'll find that the twist on their famous slogan is the central pillar of the "cleverness" of it, comrade.

That's as facile as success can often be in advertising.

Mind you, the simplicity of it - believe me - can be hard to achieve.