You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grandads

Section_31

47 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Easier to post this. He was an Evertonian and took me to my first match at Goodison 4 - 4 against Newcastle, just didn't seem right to me. Didn't really know my Mums Dad. I know he used to drive trains.

15032108_998140456961984_7658013410996005726_n.jpg

Just read that mate, what a legend, a genuine hero. You must be rightly extremely proud.

My maternal grandad died when I was 9. He had epilepsy and doctors told my great nan, who outlived him, that he’d likely not live past the age of two. He had a fit in his sleep and died aged 55, leaving behind 4 kids and 5 grandkids at the time. He’s the reason I’m a red, he lived with us for a time and it was him that got me into football. He was just a typical scouser. Funny fucker who loved his family, a pint, a bet and his roll ups. Sadly my most vivid memory of him is him having a horrible fit. I would have loved to get to know him properly as an adult. 

Never met my real dad, so can’t even say if my paternal grandfather is alive or dead. 

• Upvote 5

My dad's dad died in front of my dad when he was seven, so I don't know much about him. Feel sorry for my dad in that respect as that's a very traumatic experience that my dad never mentions but he's always been over-cautious which I think stems from dealing with such a loss at a delicate age.

My other grandad that died when I was 16 was quite overbearing and stern but did have a good side to him, he'd always take me playing pool or bowls as a kid then we'd go to the co-op and I could quite literally fill the basket with chocolate, crisps and footy mags which he'd happily pay for. He was very similar to Van Alden in boardwalk both in demeanour and look, same height, build and he always dressed smart. He was also partial to offering out any neighbours that wronged him even in his 70's. He wanted a scrap with his next door neighbours son-in-law over something or other once who was about 30. Proper old school guy.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Easier to post this. He was an Evertonian and took me to my first match at Goodison 4 - 4 against Newcastle, just didn't seem right to me. Didn't really know my Mums Dad. I know he used to drive trains.

15032108_998140456961984_7658013410996005726_n.jpg

My mate said his Blue Dad took him to his first game,Everton v Newcastle and he fell asleep and became a Red,unlike the rest of his family.

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Just read that mate, what a legend, a genuine hero. You must be rightly extremely proud.

Unfortunately my Dad can’t get his hands on the medal as his brothers ( my Uncle who has passed away) ex wife won’t give it up. But yes very proud. He hated that war and told me some gruesome stories.

My Paternal Grandad died sadly a few years before I was born but I've heard a lot told to me about him over the years. A republican who fought in the war of independence. He later became a founding member of Fianna Fail where I grew up and a foreman for the County Council and would cycle everyday to work. Managed to woo and marry my nan (also sadly long departed) at 44 despite being 20 years older than her and spent 20 happy years together before his death. Apparently a lovely kind man who sadly died from a brain tumour when he was 64. My dad to this day still chokes up when talking about him.

My maternal Dad was a hardy little Welshman from Pontypool, worked down the mines until he joined the air force and became a navigator in WW2. His plane was shot down flying from France to England and they crash landed killing 3 of his party. He was in hospital for 2 years after. 

He was also a beautiful kind soul and I fondly remember him with his arms outstretched to meet me with this beaming smile whenever he called to our house. I moved to Ireland when I was very young and sadly didn't get to see much more of him before he died. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

One was an RAF engineer. He was sound. The other was a violent alcoholic. Thankfully he died when I was about four.

Had a much closer relationship with my great aunt and uncle. She made phenomenal caramel shortbread, and he was just generally ace. They helped my parents a lot when they didn't have two pennies to rub together. They lived in Northumberland and I used to love going to Bamburgh as a kid. What a great beach that is.

• Upvote 2

Never knew either of my Grandads both died many yrs before I was born .

I've learned more about my Maternal Grandad in the last few years he was captured at Singapore and worked on the infamous Burma railway sadly he died over there and is buried on the Burmese/ Thailand border in a Cemetery called Thanbuyuzat I've seen pictures of it and it's very well looked after as you would expect but no one from the family has ever visited it .

If my Nan was still here the Government would pay for her to go , would really like to pay my respects one day 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

Yep, me too, have Seven grandkids and love every minute. Much easier than being a parent. Feed them what they want then hand them back at the end of the day.

Yep, I find I can talk to them easier. Its more of a friendship and they're me mates, than say how I felt with the kids. I'm more relaxed and easy going around the grandkids. 

Can I ask how old you were when you became a Grandad? I ask as it was thrust upon me at the heady age of 35. Think thats some sort of record if am honest. Still clubbing, away games, lads breaks, whilst being a Grandad. Got some stick for that if I ever so much as had the slightest conversation with a bird whilst away. Mates eh!

2 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Yep, I find I can talk to them easier. Its more of a friendship and they're me mates, than say how I felt with the kids. I'm more relaxed and easy going around the grandkids. 

Can I ask how old you were when you became a Grandad? I ask as it was thrust upon me at the heady age of 35. Think thats some sort of record if am honest. Still clubbing, away games, lads breaks, whilst being a Grandad. Got some stick for that if I ever so much as had the slightest conversation with a bird whilst away. Mates eh!

Was a bit older mate, 45 when the first came along, 56 now but still fit enough to do the swimming, cycling and football etc with them. 

35 is quite young to be a grandparent, fair play to you. 

Never met my dad's dad he died when my dad was 7.

Mum's dad had Alzheimer's. But he lived a life. His brother fought in the first world war. Said he couldn't live in a country that treated people like that and emigrated to America. 

Grandad followed ended up boxing in the circus double your money if you beat him  playing piano in speak easies. Got married, then divorced. Moved back here, married my mum's mum. She died and he remarried his first wife who moved over from the states.

He was a lovely fella my dad worshipped him as the nicest bloke he ever met

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 9:50 PM, Tj hooker said:

Never knew either of my Grandads both died many yrs before I was born .

I've learned more about my Maternal Grandad in the last few years he was captured at Singapore and worked on the infamous Burma railway sadly he died over there and is buried on the Burmese/ Thailand border in a Cemetery called Thanbuyuzat I've seen pictures of it and it's very well looked after as you would expect but no one from the family has ever visited it .

If my Nan was still here the Government would pay for her to go , would really like to pay my respects one day 

Since I posted this I've been doing some digging and have come up with a Roll of honour page and a picture of his grave 

ALMOND W.J..jpg

• Upvote 4

Never met my Dad's father. I literally know nothing about him. My Dad told me more about Bill Shankly than my own grandad. 

My mum had two dad's.  Her biological dad who died before I was born was shot in the war and only had one lung. He was sent to a recovery hospital in Hoylake and died when my Mum was young. 

My Nan remarried to a fella who ran his own transport company and was quite well off. He was also in the war in numerous places. My dad told me that they were in a pub in Blackpool once and this fella with a false leg marched over to him and hugged him. My grandad looked at him and asked him what he was doing. The fella said "i was on the beach in Dunkirk and had my leg blown off, you picked me up and carried me off the beach when bullets were flying everywhere".

My grandad asked him how he knew it was him. He said "your nose mate, your nose is fucking massive and it's the one thing I remembered before I passed out in agonising pain". Apparently this fella had been trying to trace him for years. 

He was a harsh fella though and the tightest cunt you could have ever met. Probably where my ma gets it from. When he died and his house got sold I got £500. Me and my mate decided to go to Munich for a beer and footy weekend. My ma called me disrespectful by spending his money going to Germany as he'd nearly died countless times fighting them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

My maternal grandfather died years before I was born and the only thing I have of his is his name.

My paternal grandfather died when I was four but I still have vivid memories of him. He was typical of most Irishmen of his generation; hard working and tough as nails. He got a year long ban from attending GAA matches for hopping the fence to go join in on a fight. When we went to visit every second Sunday, my dad would buy a box of fags and give them to me to pass them on to him. When we got to house, I would give him the pack of ciggies, he would rub my hair and say "the blessings of God be on you." Apparently, my granny hated to see him smoking, so he would be delighted when one of his kids would sneak him a pack. Good thing he sired eleven of them, eight daughters and three sons. They lived a hard but happy life. My dad lived in house with a mud floor until he was five and still vividly remembers when they got their first telly. Sometimes, it's hard to believe, with all the modern comforts I and my peers enjoy, that I am only generation away from a life that hard. I was at my aunt's 70th birthday party last night and they had all eleven lined up for a photo. It was an amazing sight to behold in and of itself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My Mum''s Dad died a few months after they migrated to Australia from Germany in 1954.  She was 10.

My Croatian Grand Father, Dad's Dad, I only met once when I visited Yugoslavia in 1975.

He was born in the time of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

My step grandfather was an ace bloke, who made the best ever Sunday morning breakfasts when I used to stay at his house on a Saturday night with Mum and Dad out at a dance.

It was kind of bubble and squeak leftovers from the week, belly pork bacon and fried eggs.

He and I ate it straight out of the cast iron frying pay, with just a fork each.

When he died, I took the frying pan.

• Upvote 5

I unfortunately did not get to experience the massive benefits of having a grandad. Due to family circumstances, war and illness I missed out on 4 of them, unlucky I know. 

But the best I can do its be a great influence on my two grandchildren. The eldest is five, she is amazing and makes me laugh, she really is a light in my life. If it had not been for her and the laughter she brings it would have been very difficult navigating a recent tragedy in my life. 

We go out on Grandad and Granddaughter days out as often as her school holidays allow. Or I buy her some arts and crafts type stuff and she makes a massive mess of my daughter's home. 

I thought being a dad was fun, it was and is. Being a grandad is millions of times better. 

• Upvote 4

I never had a granddad. Grandma and Nana were both single mums.

Reading this thread I never knew what I missed. It made me sooo happy for you guys reading some of those posts.

Luckily my dad is an amazing bloke (you can read about him here); I couldn't love him more than I do - but still would have liked a couple of Grandads.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

I never had a granddad. Grandma and Nana were both single mums.

Reading this thread I never knew what I missed. It made me sooo happy for you guys reading some of those posts.

Luckily my dad is an amazing bloke (you can read about him here); I couldn't love him more than I do - but still would have liked a couple of Grandads.

You big soft cunt! He says while wiping the 'dust' out of his eyes.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Skaro said:

My step grandfather was an ace bloke, who made the best ever Sunday morning breakfasts when I used to stay at his house on a Saturday night with Mum and Dad out at a dance.

It was kind of bubble and squeak leftovers from the week, belly pork bacon and fried eggs.

He and I ate it straight out of the cast iron frying pay, with just a fork each.

When he died, I took the frying pan.

No beans?!

• Like 1