You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 Liverpool 1 (Jan 7 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

First off, I really wanted us to win this game. Not because I’m arsed about the FA Cup this year, but because I just wanted us to win.

I always want us to win and it would have been a real positive to win a game without hardly any of the regulars. Additionally it would have given us another opportunity to play some of the kids in the next round. Because make no mistake, I wouldn’t have wanted any of the starters playing. Not while we’re still in a title race.

But we didn’t win and the truth is I won’t lose a second’s sleep over not being in the next round. Some will call that disrespecting the FA Cup or being a sky generation fan. That’s fine. Call it what you like. Presumably those who were so desperate to win the FA Cup feel Jurgen should have taken it more seriously and gone with a stronger side? Is he disrespecting the cup too? Personally I’d call it prioritising and being sensible, and if I were to criticise him for his selection (which I’m not) it’s that he didn’t go far enough and it cost us a starter for the weekend.

In fairness to Klopp his options for resting players were limited due to injuries to both of the under 23s most experienced centre backs, and had Masterson and/or Phillips been fit then certainly Lovren and perhaps even Fabinho would have been given the night off too.

Not everyone will agree with him but as far as I’m concerned his approach to the game was fully vindicated based on what happened with Lovren, who limped off with a hamstring injury after two minutes. Klopp didn’t want to play him but felt like he had no choice, and now he’s injured.

Yeah, joke all you like about how “it’s only Lovren” or “at least it wasn’t anyone important” but we’re down to the bare bones at that position and this shows exactly why I didn’t want any first team players involved in the cup. Not this year. When one day we finally get that monkey off our backs and win the league, that changes everything, but now? This year? We’re better off out of it, with Klopp able to take his squad away for some warm weather training to prepare for league games while City and Spurs juggle cup commitments.

Of course we need to win something but we’re in an exceptional situation here. We couldn’t be in a better position at this stage of the season to win the title, and we’re still in the Champions League. If ‘taking the cup seriously’ puts that even the tiniest bit at risk then for me it’s not worth it.

This is only a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

Losing breeds losers and the longer excuses are made for throwing away these type of opportunities then we'll be set for a lot more heartbreak in the future.

We've lost 5 finals since we last won the FA Cup, with a handful of semi defeats and a shed full of shitty 3rd, 4th round exits to go with them.  Putting your house on winning the League or Champions League is absolutely crazy.

For the record, as I've said previously, I fucking love our team and everything we're about.  On Jurgen's words I am fully strapped in and ready for the ride, I just don't like people making excuses for losing.

I spent the whole night not caring about the game at all in fact I kinda groaned when Origi equalized cos I thought this meant a replay. Not even Klopp looked happy there...

Then I saw a Liverpool fan sitting miserably watching this shit taking place in front of him and just felt sorry for all those fans who made the trip.

I'm happy we lost but to those fans having that match served up by our seniors had to have been hard to take.

Oh well ce la vie hopefully those fans will be celebrating with us when we win the league

• Downvote 2

We are disrespecting the cup Alan Shearer said so.....

No one takes the cup serious until they get to the 5th 6th rounds and only then it's usually because you're out of the title race.

If we got draws like Chelsea get every single fucking season then I'm sure our record in the cup would be a bit better 

Good strike by Neves but Mignolet went down like a roll of lino. It wasn’t in the corner and it was only a few yards away from him. Yet not only did he not save it, he didn’t actually get anywhere near it. Impressive in it’s own way that.

Said during the game that Mignolet never moved his feet. Didn't even attempt to put himself into a position where he could save it. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Saw something on LFC TV the other day showing Sturridge when he first came here. Watching some of goals, it was like a completely different player to what we see now. He was never a sprinter, but he was quick. You look at him now and physically he looks different when he moves.

It's not even just that he's slow, he actually moves differently. Injuries have destroyed him, either physically or mentally (he either can't sprint anymore or doesn't trust his body to even attempt to). 

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

Saw something on LFC TV the other day showing Sturridge when he first came here. Watching some of goals, it was like a completely different player to what we see now. He was never a sprinter, but he was quick. You look at him now and physically he looks different when he moves.

It's not even just that he's slow, he actually moves differently. Injuries have destroyed him, either physically or mentally (he either can't sprint anymore or doesn't trust his body to even attempt to). 

He’s been (no doubt necessarily) playing within himself since the season Van Gaal got them to fourth at our expense, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

BBC were soooooo pissed off with us last night, turning their big showpiece of the 3rd round weekend into a couldn't-care-less shitfest, instead of a classic,thrilling cup tie.  The commentary team just dripped with negativity towards us, especially Jenas. The laughable/annoying bit was how they bigged up the Wolves performance. they were just as shit as us, with less excuse. Imaging picking your near-strongest line-up and only having THREE shots on target against the defence we had out. If the situation had been reversed, and we'd been that cautious/feeble against a young reserve winger, a 16yr old, a midfielder and Moreno, we'd have been going spare.

A reflection of how little we cared about this - by design, or just poor attitude - was that only TWO fouls were given against us all night.

• Upvote 7

49 minutes ago, DaveT said:

BBC were soooooo pissed off with us last night, turning their big showpiece of the 3rd round weekend into a couldn't-care-less shitfest, instead of a classic,thrilling cup tie.  The commentary team just dripped with negativity towards us, especially Jenas. The laughable/annoying bit was how they bigged up the Wolves performance. they were just as shit as us, with less excuse. Imaging picking your near-strongest line-up and only having THREE shots on target against the defence we had out. If the situation had been reversed, and we'd been that cautious/feeble against a young reserve winger, a 16yr old, a midfielder and Moreno, we'd have been going spare.

A reflection of how little we cared about this - by design, or just poor attitude - was that only TWO fouls were given against us all night.

Exactly, i thought they must have been watching a different game with the amount of praise Wolves got.

• Upvote 1

I was less arsed about the result than I was about the performance. It was a disgrace and just reminded me of what I felt in the champions league final, that the drop off not only in quality, but attitude, between our first and second string is enormous.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I was less arsed about the result than I was about the performance. It was a disgrace and just reminded me of what I felt in the champions league final, that the drop off not only in quality, but attitude, between our first and second string is enormous.

I think another problem is that some of the second string are totally unsuited to the style we play.

In particular, we play every week with a fast, fluid forward line and everything is built round this from the midfield set-up to the way we play out from the back. And then along come Sturridge and Origi.

We play with fast overlapping full backs who keep the width and hold onto the ball allowing Salah or Mane to go where they want. Only TAA, Gomez and Robertson can do this. 

It's only in midfield that we have a pool of players to rotate. 

• Upvote 6

I agree the performance galled me more than the result Dave. Didn't Man Whoo sack Van Gaal for winning it not too long ago to put it in perspective. We have bigger and more important matches to play, starting with Brighton away Saturday . COYR !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dave u said:

Did he have vix on his chest? He had a wet patch on his shirt all night. 

Couldn’t disagree with any of the review Dave, thought Sturridge was a fucking disgrace (what’s with the half-arsed strolling around the centre circle attempting flicks which NEVER come off ffs?), Moreno’s a fucktard, Origi’s a championship level player at best and Mig, oh dear. Biggest worry is the £52 large we dropped on the amazing disappearing Nabi. Seriously wtf? One excellent turn, 24 step overs and a couple of decent passes does not £52m make. Thought this was tailor-made for him but he totally stank it out...

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic