You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

90s draft discussion thread

Elite

I’m pretty happy with my list. Of the films selected by other participants, there are only two that I wanted - American History X and The Shawshank Redemption. The latter I kept putting off, which was daft, as it was obviously going to be chosen at some point. I’m surprised it took so long. I sort of wish I hadn’t gone for Ringu, even though it is boss. I was torn between that and two others, one of which I wasn’t sure would be accepted as horror.

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m pretty happy with my list. Of the films selected by other participants, there are only two that I wanted - American History X and The Shawshank Redemption. The latter I kept putting off, which was daft, as it was obviously going to be chosen at some point. I’m surprised it took so long. I sort of wish I hadn’t gone for Ringu, even though it is boss. I was torn between that and two others, one of which I wasn’t sure would be accepted as horror.

I thought American History X was 2000s for some reason, was gutted when I checked but it'd already gone.

23 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Nah, Ringu's a great choice. Has to be the scariest film I've ever seen. I picked it up on DVD at the time, and right at the end there's a little clip of the haunted film that plays for half a second. My phone then rang and I damn near shat myself.

• Upvote 1

These lists prove that the 90s was a great decade for film, perhaps the last great decade in that respect. There's an argument for saying that television has gradually usurped film in this century even though there are still loads of great films from 2000 onwards, just as there's an inordinate amount of shite clogging up television schedules.

Some brilliant films not picked: 

Toy Story

Antz

A Bugs Life

Beavis & Butthead Do America

4 Wedding & A Funeral

The Full Monty

East is East

Notting Hill

In the Name of the Father

Carlitos Way

The Thomas Crown Affair

Independence Day

Starship Troopers

Demolition Man

Universal Soldier

Donnie Brasco

The Doors

Alive

Michael Collins

Titanic

Misery

Cape Fear

Blair With Project

Gremlins 2

Candyman 

Toy story and Demolition man were picked. 

I’d add:

Three kings 

The Iron Giant

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai 

The Wedding Singer 

Event Horizon

Blade

Ronin

There’s something about Mary

Last of the Mohicans

Fallen

Cop Land

Con Air

The Rock 

Basketball Diaries

A Bronx tale

Menace II society

Falling Down

Dragon: The Bruce Lee story

Point Break

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

@Bjornebye, some of those WERE picked! I was thinking stuff like

White Men Can't Jump

Gattaca

Swimming With Sharks

Swingers

Audition

JFK

Unforgiven

Out Of Sight

Unforgiven was picked as well. Last of the Mohicans is the best unpicked film, for me. Couldn’t decide for ages between that and Robin Hood but went for Robin Hood as it’s more fun.

14 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Toy story and Demolition man were picked. 

I’d add:

Three kings 

The Iron Giant

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai 

The Wedding Singer 

Event Horizon

Blade

Ronin

There’s something about Mary

Last of the Mohicans

Fallen

Cop Land

Con Air

The Rock 

Basketball Diaries

A Bronx tale

Menace II society

Falling Down

Dragon: The Bruce Lee story

Point Break

Bronx Tale FUCK, how did I forget that 

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised to not see 'The Insider' as a true story film. Pretty sure that was the 1990s (just checked, 1999). Russell Crowe had a few crackers I think, including LA Confidential (I see that's been chosen). 

I came pretty close to picking Out of Sight and Carlito’s Way.

Was a toss up between Aladdin and The Iron Giant for my animated film, although I also considered The Wind in the Willows (Alan Bennett, Michael Gambian, Rik Mayall and Michael Pamin).

I almost picked Ravenous as my horror film. I wanted Misery but thought it wouldn’t be accepted for that category.