You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (a) 12/1/19 EPL

Bjornebye

54 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I thought we did.

I don't think it was unjustly given in our favour. We had the most possession, made the most chances and made them for the most part chase the ball. It's inevitable in this case that there will be fouls etc and the attacking team will get the decisions. 

Brighton - like many teams this season - just didn't really fancy going up against us as the counter attack stung them heavily last season and that probably weighed on their minds.

21 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Going off the reports and the highlights despite Liverpool not being very good it seemed a fairly comfortable 1-0 win.

I wouldn't say Liverpool were not very good, more that Brighton stuck to their guns, stayed solid and made it hard to break them down. A moment of salah magic then a lockout with a couple of late chances to double the lead, including a rare Salah miss from a few feet out. 

5 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

Not sure theres much you can read in to those games only that the last 10 games the pressure is ratched up we will lose a game in that lot no one expects so will city key is how we respond thats why today is a massive win

Dude, use punctuations... Had to read your msg twice to make sense of it.

Most entertaining part of the game for me was after about 85 minutes- Wijnaldum got the ball about ten yards outside their box under not much pressure, turned on a sixpence and dribbled it beautifully twenty yards back towards his own goal, played a majestic one-two to end up 5 yards further back, then sadly lost the ball on the halfway line just as the move was entering Brazil '70 territory.

11 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Saw that miss, bad one like but that cunt Pearce was a bit OTT on the commentary.

Yes, I think he said something like "worst miss since he's been in this country"! Blimey, has he been keeping count?

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Personally, the most entertaining parts of the game for me was Salah scoring and us winning.

I thought it was an entertaining match, Brighton have some skilful players but our defence was again tip-top.

Games like this one where we went in there, never got out of second or third gear but got the job done before getting back out is something we haven't consistently seen from our team in a very long time. I'm liking how Klopp has added a level of pragmatism to the team's play. We don't look nearly as naive in certain situations as we have in the past.

Was looking at previous league winning points totals earlier.

Makes interesting reading.

Pts champions got every year since 2000.

2000 - 91 (won it by 18 pts)

2001 - 80 (won by 10)

2002 - 87 (won by 7)

2003 - 83 (won by 5)

2004 - 90 (won by 11)

2005 - 95 (won by 12)

2006 - 91 (won by 8)

2007 - 89 (won by 6)

2008 - 87 (won by 2)

2009 - 90 (won by 4)

2010 - 86 (won by 1)

2011 - 80 (won by 9)

2012 - 89 (won on GD)

2013 - 89 (won by 11)

2014 - 86 (won by 2)

2015 - 87 (won by 8)

2016 - 81 (won by 10)

2017 - 93 (won by 7)

2018 - 100 (won by 19)

Anytime a side has got 90 plus pts they have won the title by an average of 11 pts!

90 this year won't be anywhere near enough will it.....

I agree with Klopp's statement that this was our most "mature" performance of the season. What was really pleasing to me was seeing us going one up and just shutting the game down in a level-headed, controlled way. That's a quality I think you need in a title-winning team and it feels like these days once we go ahead it's probably curtains for most teams we're playing. They need to produce a worldie or bit of magic from somewhere against our rock-solid defence and given the quality of this league outside the top 6 that's never too likely to happen.

1-0 is never the most comfortable lead to have but it's a lot more comfortable now than it was even last year, when we'd be 3-0 up and wondering when Lovren and Moreno's heads were going to fall off and cost us dearly. We're a quality side and for me if (and it's a big if) our main 11 and first choice bench players can keep fit we'll go on to win it.

We have a feel of the Chelsea and Utd teams in the 2000s that used to win 1 and 2 nil all the time. As a Liverpool supporter I'd watch and know the game was over once they scored first. That's what it's like for 19 other teams now, Brighton played well, worked their bollox off and left the pitch without Alisson making a proper save. That's got to hurt.

Reading through this thread and other match threads it appears the only supporters who don't see it are ourselves.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, No2 said:

We have a feel of the Chelsea and Utd teams in the 2000s that used to win 1 and 2 nil all the time. As a Liverpool supporter I'd watch and know the game was over once they scored first. That's what it's like for 19 other teams now, Brighton played well, worked their bollox off and left the pitch without Alisson making a proper save. That's got to hurt.

Reading through this thread and other match threads it appears the only supporters who don't see it are ourselves.

I think it is a symptom of all the disappointments down the years and a defence mechanism.

We could very well end up with a record points haul for 2nd place and ultimately that will hurt like no ones business and how good we are won't matter a jot.

If we win it then quite rightly the plaudits and the comparisons will be handed out and made.

12 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think it is a symptom of all the disappointments down the years and a defence mechanism.

We could very well end up with a record points haul for 2nd place and ultimately that will hurt like no ones business and how good we are won't matter a jot.

If we win it then quite rightly the plaudits and the comparisons will be handed out and made.

I'm referring to individual games though, not the league overall. Yesterday for example we owned the ball from start to finish, created 5 really good chances and gave up one half scramble in the box. It was as comfortable a 1 nil you will get.

Yet looking at this site and others it just smell of panic. We all need to relax, Jurgen, Virgil and Alisson are calm as fuck, my only concern is when we get closer to the line 30 years of frustration seeps on to the pitch.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm referring to individual games though, not the league overall. Yesterday for example we owned the ball from start to finish, created 5 really good chances and gave up one half scramble in the box. It was as comfortable a 1 nil you will get.

Yet looking at this site and others it just smell of panic. We all need to relax, Jurgen, Virgil and Alisson are calm as fuck, my only concern is when we get closer to the line 30 years of frustration seeps on to the pitch.

I see that - i suppose the game to game feel and the overall feel are very closely related though.

We are boss, and we do look a very good team - but the years of frustration coupled with fear and adding in the relentless nature of what we are up against is making people nervy and distorting reality.

I said yesterday that it is mad that even a draw here or there can be seen as a potential disaster, when usually even the best sides in history have days where they are not quite at it and have to take a draw and move on or lose a game or two you wouldn't expect them to....because of what we are up against there is a feeling we need to win every week and fact is no team can - but as mad as it sounds it is almost true we need to and that is IMO causing people a lot of stress.

Let's just hope the players aren't feeling it and the manager isn't feeling it.

It looks like this season is either going to be the greatest in most of our life times and end in the most brilliant feeling and achievement, or in the worst and most hurtful failure ever where despite our brilliance we end up with that monkey still on our back and worst of all do so with a performance over a season that wins the title pretty much any other year.

Some ride ahead!

• Upvote 1

We've been playing pretty much at the same level all season, we turned it on for a few weeks and I think it obscured how much we were grinding results out for the early part of the season.  This is fine, it's been standard this season.  We gave up very little again.  Get a few wins, get some momentum and it'll come back soon enough.

enjoyed watching us getting the result and gritty performance objectively, without feeling the need to look to justify any minor prejudices held for any players I don't particularly rate. or indeed be arsed about people's persistent cartoon opinions on here I think resemble the psychology of the playground they have never truly left.

plus all the death in the family faces that were on show throughout the country.

he he he he

lovely stuff

• Upvote 1

I know it’s only Brighton and we should be beating them but that win felt massive yesterday. 

For a large part of the first half I was getting flashbacks to how we’d draw & drop points against teams we shouldn’t under Rafa in our title challenge in ‘09. 

Klopp though has built a superb team and his transfer business is outstanding.