You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you take Coutinho Back?

Boss

Would you accept him coming back?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

I would take Coutinho back depending on how the deal was structured, if, for example, we have already received 40 mil. for him, I'd be prepared to write off as much as 100 mil. if it's in instalments years down the line and some or much of it in add-ons which we already know may not be realistic. It would mean we loaned him to Barcelona for a year so he can see if he can make it there and received 40 mil. from Barcelona for the privilege. If we had to give up full 100 mil. over the next 2 years, probably not.

Overall, getting him back 12 months later for half of what we got for him should be a good deal.

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

I would take Coutinho back depending on how the deal was structured, if, for example, we have already received 40 mil. for him, I'd be prepared to write off as much as 100 mil. if it's in instalments years down the line and some or much of it in add-ons which we already know may not be realistic. It would mean we loaned him to Barcelona for a year so he can see if he can make it there and received 40 mil. from Barcelona for the privilege. If we had to give up full 100 mil. over the next 2 years, probably not.

Overall, getting him back 12 months later for half of what we got for him should be a good deal.

Why do you care? It’s Phil Coutinho.. at his best he’s the best player in the league!!!

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Because completing transfer number one usually means transfer number two is no longer possible.

I don’t understand. If it was gonna cost the club £100m to bring Coutinho back, why would you care so much about the payment structure?

9 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t understand. If it was gonna cost the club £100m to bring Coutinho back, why would you care so much about the payment structure?

Because this structure may mean it wouldn't cost a 100 mil., and if it was over a longer period of time, we may have not spent "the Coutinho money", so it wouldn't directly impact other transfers. I wouldn't pay a 100 mil. outright for him, because for that money, we could maybe get players we may need more.

In isolation, you'd be dumb to say no, but in the real world context where we sold him for an absolute ransom and got a world class keeper and centre half with the money, I'd do the move every single time. We exchanged a luxury player for the back end of a tremendous spine. 

Plus, there's no way I'd pay 100m for him to have him back. Even in his best of form, he's not good enough to be the difference for a top side, because as mentioned he's a luxury player. As an aside, I wouldn't pay 100m for Isco either who I think is similar. 

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Because this structure may mean it wouldn't cost a 100 mil., and if it was over a longer period of time, we may have not spent "the Coutinho money", so it wouldn't directly impact other transfers. I wouldn't pay a 100 mil. outright for him, because for that money, we could maybe get players we may need more.

I disagree with that because 1) I’m sure the clubs run accrual accounting book; revenue from future payment installments already recorded against cash receivables 2) It’s Phil Coutinho! He’s up there amongst the very best players in the world and we KNOW that he fits in to the team and the league. He’s as close to a guaranteed success as you can find. Fuck other transfers.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I disagree with that because 1) I’m sure the clubs run accrual accounting book; revenue from future payment installments already recorded against cash receivables 2) It’s Phil Coutinho! He’s up there amongst the very best players in the world and we KNOW that he fits in to the team and the league. He’s as close to a guaranteed success as you can find. Fuck other transfers.

The way the deal is structured affects the actual value. Also, we already have 2 players who we signed after he left for some of his roles, so you would have to factor that in before you say fuck other transfers.

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The way the deal is structured affects the actual value. Also, we already have 2 players who we signed after he left for some of his roles, so you would have to factor that in before you say fuck other transfers.

If guaranteed payment installments then no... it wouldn’t. Let’s not get bog down on the accounting, I’m guessing the 2 players are Keita and Shaq? Coutinho is a much better footballer than both them (currently). He’s a guaranteed success.

18 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If guaranteed payment installments then no... it wouldn’t. Let’s not get bog down on the accounting, I’m guessing the 2 players are Keita and Shaq? Coutinho is a much better footballer than both them (currently). He’s a guaranteed success.

I know it's all a bit academic because he is not coming back, but surely it should be viewed in context, is there a Coutinho shaped hole in our team, as there was, more or less, a VVD shaped hole in defence or Alisson's in goal. With Shaq and if presumably Keita finally gets going, and with AOC coming back, it isn't anymore, so we would have to factor all that in.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I know it's all a bit academic because he is not coming back, but surely it should be viewed in context, is there a Coutinho shaped hole in our team, as there was, more or less, a VVD shaped hole in defence or Alisson's in goal. With Shaq and if presumably Keita finally gets going, and with AOC coming back, it isn't anymore, so we would have to factor all that in.

I’m a big fan of Ox, but I’d readily sell all three players to bring Coutinho back. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

In isolation, you'd be dumb to say no, but in the real world context where we sold him for an absolute ransom and got a world class keeper and centre half with the money, I'd do the move every single time. We exchanged a luxury player for the back end of a tremendous spine. 

Plus, there's no way I'd pay 100m for him to have him back. Even in his best of form, he's not good enough to be the difference for a top side, because as mentioned he's a luxury player. As an aside, I wouldn't pay 100m for Isco either who I think is similar. 

Coutinho has played like Zidane in comparison to Isco this season.