You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Timo Werner

Captain Turdseye

5 hours ago, Stickman said:

I wonder what Wernner saw in Chelsea ...

Chelsea will almost double Werner's salary

The Liverpool deal that never happened

Werner was linked with a move to Liverpool for months.

The 24-year-old forward and his agent were in talks with Liverpool, who made him their main transfer target to deepen the options in their three-man attack, rating him higher than Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho, among others.

Werner even video-conferenced with Jurgen Klopp during Easter and on at least one other occasion, but the negotiations went cold in late April, not because the manager was suddenly doubtful about his qualities, but because Liverpool were unwilling to trigger the £45m release clause.

Instead, the Premier League leaders intended to negotiate with RB Leipzig about a fee reduction.

Moreover, Werner demanded a substantial financial package and guaranteed playing time, which seemed rather unlikely given he would have battled with Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane for a spot in Liverpool's starting XI.

Klopp's plan was to slowly integrate Werner into the team and then give him a starting spot in January when Mane and Mohamed Salah would play at the Africa Cup of Nations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52970103

If the 'demanding playing time' is true then fair enough. Seems a strange time to be making signings anyhow given the whole uncertainty around the immediate future and how it will play out.

I would have been happy if we signed him but I'm not shedding tears over him not. Havertz however... If Chelsea get him as well I'll be fucking pissed off. I'm just hoping the club and Klopp have got it all in hand, a few targets are under the radar and all will be fine. If the AFCON does go ahead next January then we will be fucked unless we bring some players in. I'm really not arsed about Traore from Wolves. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I would have been happy if we signed him but I'm not shedding tears over him not. Havertz however... If Chelsea get him as well I'll be fucking pissed off. I'm just hoping the club and Klopp have got it all in hand, a few targets are under the radar and all will be fine. If the AFCON does go ahead next January then we will be fucked unless we bring some players in. I'm really not arsed about Traore from Wolves. 

We haven't got enough from the bench IMHO. We have a top 11-13 I reckon but beyond that the quality drop off is massive. Obviously I'm delighted we are Euro Champs and soon to be Premier Winners, but in each season we have made massive sacrifices in other competitions, reducing them to dead duck ties and i hate it.

We should be adding 1 or 2 players of decent quality per summer now, to keep ourselves on top of the perch. Thats the way we did it in the 70's and 80's, never resting on what we had, making the players earn their place.

If the internet existed in the 80s people would be arguing we don't need anyone up front because of Rush and Dalglish, but we still brought in Wark, Robinson and Walsh. And when Rushy left we didn't just bring in Aldridge, we brought in Barnes and Beardsley.

Thats how you stay competitive, and its something that never changes.

If you ask me FSG are probably holding out for no spend this summer and then will flog one of the front three next to fund the next round of big money signings. Either Salah or Mane abroad.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

To be honest I was gutted we didn't sign Werner. I think he'll be a star. Would he fit straight into our system? Probably not. Still think he will be great though. 

I think it's the opposite. He'd fit into our system exceedingly well, but elsewhere he won't be that great. He's certainly good, but not someone you cry over because you missed out. 

• 3 months later...

I know its only two games in and it's a new league, new country bla bla bla but what are people's initial thoughts on him now? There was quite a lot of rage on here when we didn't get him and lots of people saying we missed out on a great player who was perfect for Liverpool. 

I was quite vocal on saying i really really didn't want him and nothings changed my mind so far. Jamie Redknapp said he looked absolutely class yesterday?! Carra and Ashley Cole were stunned into silence. What am i missing here. He can't beat a man and he has no trickery/skills. I just don't see how he would have been perfect to replace or supplement our front three. 

Fabinho had a great game yesterday, but he's pretty slow and not a first choice CB. Werner had him 1 v 1 three or four times and he didn't beat him once and didn't look like he had a clue how to beat him either. It was the same story against Brighton (personally i think he's always been like this in Leipzig and for Germany) When Moe & Sadio go to Afcon (or if either is a sold at some point) the player replacing them needs to be quick, skillful and a good dribbler. If we had Werner coming in to do their job we would have definitely lost something and instantly become easier to defend. 

I'm not saying he is shit and won't score goals, he will, but he definitely isn't the player to take us to another level when one of our front three needs replacing. We would have lost something by signing him and he would have only been able to play Bobby's position eventually because he isn't good enough for us out wide. 

Nah, far too early to judge the lad. But like I say, lampard and solskjaer are the two most inept managers in the PL. And they are arguably at two of it's biggest clubs.

If anyone thinks Werner wouldnt improve his game under Jurgen, I honestly think they're mistaken. I'll be surprised if werner ends the season with less than 12-14 PL goals.

9 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I know its only two games in and it's a new league, new country bla bla bla but what are people's initial thoughts on him now? There was quite a lot of rage on here when we didn't get him and lots of people saying we missed out on a great player who was perfect for Liverpool. 

I was quite vocal on saying i really really didn't want him and nothings changed my mind so far. Jamie Redknapp said he looked absolutely class yesterday?! Carra and Ashley Cole were stunned into silence. What am i missing here. He can't beat a man and he has no trickery/skills. I just don't see how he would have been perfect to replace or supplement our front three. 

Fabinho had a great game yesterday, but he's pretty slow and not a first choice CB. Werner had him 1 v 1 three or four times and he didn't beat him once and didn't look like he had a clue how to beat him either. It was the same story against Brighton (personally i think he's always been like this in Leipzig and for Germany) When Moe & Sadio go to Afcon (or if either is a sold at some point) the player replacing them needs to be quick, skillful and a good dribbler. If we had Werner coming in to do their job we would have definitely lost something and instantly become easier to defend. 

I'm not saying he is shit and won't score goals, he will, but he definitely isn't the player to take us to another level when one of our front three needs replacing. We would have lost something by signing him and he would have only been able to play Bobby's position eventually because he isn't good enough for us out wide. 

Disagree with you on the last point. He's not similar to Firmino at all and the point of bringing him in would have been to play him off the left in kind of a right footed Salah role. They tried to to do that yesterday with Havertz false 9 and they played him in a front two last week, partnering Loftus-Cheek which was quite comical, but it's about the two positions he is best in. Front two, or off the left with no dedicated #9. 

The thing with Werner I've always thought is he's very good but quite one-dimensional. Monster pace and can finish, but technically there's something missing a bit. He's not the guy to have when teams are defending deeper. He would have been really good here, no question about it, though.

He's pretty much been the totality of Chelsea's attacking threat thus far this season. Just punt the ball into the left channel and let him run at people. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Disagree with you on the last point. He's not similar to Firmino at all and the point of bringing him in would have been to play him off the left in kind of a right footed Salah role. They tried to to do that yesterday with Havertz false 9 and they played him in a front two last week, partnering Loftus-Cheek which was quite comical, but it's about the two positions he is best in. Front two, or off the left with no dedicated #9. 

The thing with Werner I've always thought is he's very good but quite one-dimensional. Monster pace and can finish, but technically there's something missing a bit. He's not the guy to have when teams are defending deeper. He would have been really good here, no question about it, though.

He's pretty much been the totality of Chelsea's attacking threat thus far this season. Just punt the ball into the left channel and let him run at people. 

That's my point mate, I'm saying he would have "ONLY" been able to play in Firmino's position eventually because he just isnt good enough to play anywhere else, for us. I don't think he would have been good enough in that position either but he would have been here on a 4 year contract and where else could we play him?

He was lorded as this versatile forward who could play anywhere across the front three, but at the highest level when your going for the champions league and the league every season? Not for me Clive

6 minutes ago, El Diego said:

He’s very direct, reminds me of Mo.

From the limited times I’ve seen him, I don’t this he’s clever enough. 

He reminds me of a better version of Darius Vassell or Julian Joachim - he just seem to run fast and whack it! 

5 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

That's my point mate, I'm saying he would have "ONLY" been able to play in Firmino's position eventually because he just isnt good enough to play anywhere else, for us. I don't think he would have been good enough in that position either but he would have been here on a 4 year contract and where else could we play him?

He was lorded as this versatile forward who could play anywhere across the front three, but at the highest level when your going for the champions league and the league every season? Not for me Clive

Well, he would have strictly been a rotation option in the beginning, like Jota will be. After, who knows how well he would have gelled and adapted. But I doubt it would ever have been to replace Firmino. He'd have spelled Salah or Mane. 

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

From the limited times I’ve seen him, I don’t this he’s clever enough. 

He reminds me of a better version of Darius Vassell or Julian Joachim - he just seem to run fast and whack it! 

Sounds more like the Lord of Frodsham.