You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Timo Werner

Captain Turdseye

31 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

To be fair it's always a quiet window these days yet we won the champions league and probably the title. We only spend big when we sell big. As long as we've got klopp I'm not too concerned. He goes it's arsenal, spurs competitiveness for us.

It's going to be a notch or two below that when he goes 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

£47m is a snip, although if you don't have £47m in the first instance, then that is moot.

£47m? it's getting lower, you were saying £49m a week or two ago. Bit strange all the other news outlets seem to be quoting £53m is what they're paying for Werner.

12 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You reckon we don’t have it? 

If you refuse to sign someone at that age with that goal record for that price when all signs and common sense pointed towards that player signing for you, you're clearly broke.

That said, it could be that we have money but because we are top dogs and don't technically "need" to spend money to catch up to anyone, that we didn't want to take a financial risk. 

I wonder what Wernner saw in Chelsea ...

Chelsea will almost double Werner's salary

The Liverpool deal that never happened

Werner was linked with a move to Liverpool for months.

The 24-year-old forward and his agent were in talks with Liverpool, who made him their main transfer target to deepen the options in their three-man attack, rating him higher than Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho, among others.

Werner even video-conferenced with Jurgen Klopp during Easter and on at least one other occasion, but the negotiations went cold in late April, not because the manager was suddenly doubtful about his qualities, but because Liverpool were unwilling to trigger the £45m release clause.

Instead, the Premier League leaders intended to negotiate with RB Leipzig about a fee reduction.

Moreover, Werner demanded a substantial financial package and guaranteed playing time, which seemed rather unlikely given he would have battled with Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane for a spot in Liverpool's starting XI.

Klopp's plan was to slowly integrate Werner into the team and then give him a starting spot in January when Mane and Mohamed Salah would play at the Africa Cup of Nations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52970103

3 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I wonder what Wernner saw in Chelsea ...

Chelsea will almost double Werner's salary

The Liverpool deal that never happened

Werner was linked with a move to Liverpool for months.

The 24-year-old forward and his agent were in talks with Liverpool, who made him their main transfer target to deepen the options in their three-man attack, rating him higher than Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho, among others.

Werner even video-conferenced with Jurgen Klopp during Easter and on at least one other occasion, but the negotiations went cold in late April, not because the manager was suddenly doubtful about his qualities, but because Liverpool were unwilling to trigger the £45m release clause.

Instead, the Premier League leaders intended to negotiate with RB Leipzig about a fee reduction.

Moreover, Werner demanded a substantial financial package and guaranteed playing time, which seemed rather unlikely given he would have battled with Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane for a spot in Liverpool's starting XI.

Klopp's plan was to slowly integrate Werner into the team and then give him a starting spot in January when Mane and Mohamed Salah would play at the Africa Cup of Nations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52970103

That's the important bit, for me. If one of our front three were on their way out/injury prone then it would have made sense, but that simply isn't the case. I'd much rather spend this kind of money on some creativity in midfield.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Our profit in recent years shows that we have it, we're just not willing to spend it. 

Are you actually complaining about our transfer activity over the last few years ?

We've signed some fucking immense talent , got rid of lots of deadwood won big ears , the league and played incredible football . 

If I thought for one second Klopp was pissed , I would be too . 

I f the owners keep making a profit , and we keep on winning i couldn't give a fuck 

27 minutes ago, elvis said:

Are you actually complaining about our transfer activity over the last few years ?

I thought it was pretty clear that I was expressing concerns about our transfer activity, or lack thereof, this year.