You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Who vs Led Zeppelin

Bjornebye

Who was the better band?   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better band?

• The Who
    • Led Zeppelin

Woke up early and just watching a documentary on Quadrophenia with brekkie. I went through a bit of a Who phase around my 20's but don't find myself listening to much of them these days other than a few of their hits. They just had Townsend talking about Daltreys voice on Love Reign O'er Me and it is fucking amazing. Obviously Led Zeppelin are a great band and some of them riffs will never be beaten but the bands are so similar. 

The Who for me. 

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

I don't find them particularly similar. 

This. They sound fuck all alike.

I tend to judge my bands on the great albums they made & for me everything from Led Zeppelin's debut to Presence (seven albums) are all at least 8/10. The Who only made one truly great studio album in my opinion (Who's Next) with Tommy, Quadrophenia & The Who Sell Out all a bit patchy.

One thing I will say is that both bands live between 1968 & 1973 were probably the two greatest live rock bands ever. They actually played on the same bill in 1969, what would you give to go back in a time machine to that one? There's backstage footage from the gig on YouTube...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Woke up early and just watching a documentary on Quadrophenia with brekkie. I went through a bit of a Who phase around my 20's but don't find myself listening to much of them these days other than a few of their hits. They just had Townsend talking about Daltreys voice on Love Reign O'er Me and it is fucking amazing. Obviously Led Zeppelin are a great band and some of them riffs will never be beaten but the bands are so similar. 

The Who for me. 

I watched that. Keith Moon as we know was fucking insane.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

How did he not croak after taking fucking Elephant Tranquilisers?

No, it was pills to get him of the bevvy that killed him.

He actually died in the same flat (in London) as Mama Cass.

30 minutes ago, Mook said:

Aye, they were both 32, as was John Bonham when he died in 1980.

In mid-1978 Moon moved into Flat 12, 9 Curzon Place (later Curzon Square), Shepherd Market, Mayfair, London, renting from Harry Nilsson. Cass Elliot had died there four years earlier, at the age of 32; Nilsson was concerned about letting the flat to Moon, believing it was cursed. Townshend disagreed, assuring him that "lightning wouldn't strike the same place twice".

After moving in, Moon began a prescribed course of Heminevrin (clomethiazole, a sedative) to alleviate his alcohol withdrawal symptoms. He wanted to get sober, but due to his fear of psychiatric hospitals he wanted to do it at home. Clomethiazole is discouraged for unsupervised detoxification because of its addictive potential, its tendency to induce tolerance, and its risk of death when mixed with alcohol. The pills were prescribed by Geoffrey Dymond, a physician who was unaware of Moon's lifestyle. Dymond prescribed a bottle of 100 pills, instructing him to take one pill when he felt a craving for alcohol but not more than three pills per day.

By September 1978 Moon was having difficulty playing the drums, according to roadie Dave "Cy" Langston. After seeing Moon in the studio trying to overdub drums for The Kids Are Alright, he said, "After two or three hours, he got more and more sluggish, he could barely hold a drum stick."

On 6 September, Moon and Walter-Lax were guests of Paul and Linda McCartney at a preview of a film, The Buddy Holly Story. After dining with the McCartneys at Peppermint Park in Covent Garden, Moon and Walter-Lax returned to their flat. He watched a film (The Abominable Dr. Phibes), and asked Walter-Lax to cook him steak and eggs. When she objected, Moon replied, "If you don't like it, you can fuck off!" These were his last words. Moon then took 32 clomethiazole tablets. When Walter-Lax checked on him the following afternoon, she discovered he was dead.

Curbishley phoned the flat at around 5 pm looking for Moon, and Dymond gave him the news. Curbishley told Townshend, who informed the rest of the band. Entwistle was giving an interview to French journalists when he was interrupted by a phone call with the news of Moon's death. Trying to tactfully and quickly end the interview, he broke down and wept when the journalist asked him about the Who's future plans.

Moon's death came shortly after the release of Who Are You. On the album cover, he is straddling a chair to hide his weight gain; the words "Not to be taken away" are on the back of the chair.

Police determined that there were 32 clomethiazole pills in Moon's system. Six were digested, sufficient to cause his death; the other 26 were undigested when he died. Max Glatt, an authority on alcoholism, wrote in The Sunday Times that Moon should never have been given the drug. Moon was cremated on 13 September 1978 at Golders Green Crematorium in London, and his ashes were scattered in its Gardens of Remembrance.

As has been said two totally different bands I'm more in The Who camp and I will say that between Tommy and Quadrophenia The Who were phenomenally awesome not only live but in the studio as well with Townshend at his best with his writing but also the other three weren't too shabby either

I do also think out of the two bands Townshend was a fucking genius when you think he wrote pretty much everything they recorded , he also had the ideas and produced incredible demos of the songs before the rest of the band got hold of them.

I know Moon was probably certifiably insane but he could be pretty funny too....

• Upvote 1

The Who and Led Zeppelin sound totally different, in my opinion. I’m not really a fan of either, though.

Quadrophenia is one of those films that I tend to watch, or at least watch bits of, when it’s on telly but not one that I own on DVD or would go out of my way to watch. It’s entertaining enough, but at the same time, it’s a bit shit. Mostly because Phil Daniels has alway been an extremely wooden actor.

Not so much Zeppelin but fucking love this version with Page and Plant

Guess it doesn't have the power of the original line up even if there are about a 100 backing musician's helping out

I know they sound different but who had the idea first of showing off the hair and chest..... Page ....

Related image

Or Daltrey??

Image result for Roger daltrey 1971